Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th December 2009, 12:15   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Question Rashly Driven Consulate Cars - What can you do?

Yesterday i was driving back home and i see this (CC) consulate land cruiser driving very rashly and basically bullying other cars on the road. When i reached behind him, he started driving in the middle of the two lanes and refused to let me overtake. Then he bullied another alto off the road and kept blocking the lanes. Finally i manage to overtake him at a signal and i squeeze him (i was in my jeep) and then pull over next to him. The driver (indian) rolls down the window and so does a foreign gentleman in the back seat. I ignore the driver and politely tell the gentleman to ask his driver to maintain lane discipline.

Instead he tells me, and i quote, "Don't tell me anything sonny, just drive on or you will get into trouble."

I frankly didn't want to start an argument so i take his plate number down and stop at the next signal and ask an RTO officer what can be done since CC cars get diplomatic immunity. He said he would personally want to whip every driver of a CC car since those indian drivers think that they are god!

Anyways, he says max i can do is send an email to the consulate or the indian state department. But nothing will happen.

So is an Indian driver of a CC car protected as well?

What are your view on this?

EDIT: see the below link. I had witnessed this as well.

Consulate car hits another at Marine Drive - Express India

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 10th December 2009 at 12:18. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:20   #2
BHPian

Nothing can be done to consulate people or the people working with these consulates, as they are so called guests(?) in our nation. These fellows cannot be treated under IPC.
However, they can be booked under International Laws or code of conducts by UN.
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Stay out of the way? Honestly, its nearly impossible to touch these guys when they get into an accident, let alone for rash driving.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

There are no exceptions, they are as liable as we are. Moreover, the onus is on the foreign diplomacy to ensure that all the local laws are adhered to. You can always report this to the consulate. Very strict action will be taken on the erring driver.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Where can i find the codes for cc cars? i assume the first number is a country number followed by cc and then the registration number.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Usually the consulate cars would have displayed where the car is from.

Like, British High Commission, US navy and like wise. I must mention there are quite a few in my town. The drivers are a nasty lot, whereas the personnel are very friendly and down to earth. All the five fingers are not the same. Sad incident. You should definitely have this reported. The outcome would be minimal as you would not have any substantial evidence to back it up with. Anyways you have nothing to loose and should report the same.

OT. Did you get the original soft top and door with your Classic?

Last edited by beejay : 10th December 2009 at 12:38. Reason: OT>>>
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Yesterday i was driving back home and i see this (CC) consulate land cruiser driving very rashly and basically bullying other cars on the road.
Doc, the issue lies with each consulate. I know for a fact that the US consulate can and will take action against an erring driver (not the consul but an indian driver).

in the incident you mentioned the consul (or consul's representative) was in the car. in such cases the driver will not get punished. all the indian diplomatic channels can do is file a complaint with the consul in question but if the attitude of this particular consuil is any indication then nothing will happen.

I've seen a silver-blue SUV (Prado or LC) with consul plates tear down Marine Drive (usually going South to North) hogging 2 lanes a few times. It might be the same car you saw. Usually they best advice is to give these nutcases a wide berth. Usually it a driver. Consuls (atleast the ones who live in my building) rarely drive themselves (if they do it early in the morning - you see some of them going to coming from their early morning walks).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 12:47   #8
BHPian

We as Indians have less rights in our own country and no rights outside our country, if a foreigner does any thing out of the laws and we think to stop them, the first thing that comes to our mind is forget it, we will be in trouble rather than him, cos our government, police and politicians and of course our laws will favor them and not us. Sometimes I feel why Indians are in this situation. Though I am proud to be a Indian but when it comes to such situation I am not, cos we literally have no rights.

I was in Gurgaon at the ambience mall, they have a smoking area next to the bowling alley, me and my friend were sitting there and there is a sliding glass door and obviously you are suppose to close it, we did that and were enjoying our smoke, then comes this chinese guy who leaves the door half open, I told him polietly, can you please close the door completely, he just ignored me, i said it again and he said its ok, i will finish and go. You wont believe my blood was boiling and I just wanted to take his cigratte from his mouth and slap him. But then my friend said let it go.

This when I said to myself, when we go out to other countries we are the most obedient to follow the law, this same chinese will not have the courage to break the law in his own country and look at his attitude, I am sure he was well aware that he can get away with it.

This the reality my friend.
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 15:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where can i find the codes for cc cars? i assume the first number is a country number followed by cc and then the registration number.
a partial list is on TBHP
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...-vehicles.html (Various Embassy & Consulate Vehicles!)

or the minstry of road transport has a list (see rule 76).
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India
http://delhi.gov.in/DoIT/DoIT_Transport/tprt5.pdf

Last edited by navin : 10th December 2009 at 15:25.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 15:25   #10
BHPian

So Tejas, what was the first number on the CC plate?
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 16:26   #11
BHPian

You can try sending en email to the consulate's email ID.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 16:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Nobody is above law

Well, going by the thread mentioned below, it is only the Diplomat and his/her family members that are immune to the laws of their country of assignment but that doesnt mean that they can commit crime at their will. It simply means that their trial takes place in their country of origin.

That gives us 2 options:
1. The driver being an Indian, needs to follow the rules and if found flouting them, can be tried and punished in India according to Indian Law. So an FIR is certainly possible and so is action against him/her.
2.Even the Consulate staff who was in the car needs to abide by the law and I m sure those people would mellow down once they know that they are speaking to someone who knows the rules. Also, I m pretty sure it would a source of dishonor for that person to commit a crime in his/her country of assignment and be tried in his/her home country.

I would strongly recommend an FIR and stringent follow up of the same with the authorities and an email to that country's Foreign Ministry/External Affairs office.

OT: Were you able to discern the country to which that person and car belonged?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 16:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
So Tejas, what was the first number on the CC plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I've seen a silver-blue SUV (Prado or LC) with consul plates tear down Marine Drive (usually going South to North) hogging 2 lanes a few times. It might be the same car you saw.
Nope, this was a white one. But a friend has had altercations with the car you mentioned and he also now gives it a wide berth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Usually the consulate cars would have displayed where the car is from.

Like, British High Commission, US navy and like wise. I must mention there are quite a few in my town. The drivers are a nasty lot, whereas the personnel are very friendly and down to earth. All the five fingers are not the same. Sad incident. You should definitely have this reported. The outcome would be minimal as you would not have any substantial evidence to back it up with. Anyways you have nothing to loose and should report the same.
No flag or identification was displayed.

And if i report it, it's gonna be word against word. And the word of a senior consult general or his aide would be definitely accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
OT: Were you able to discern the country to which that person and car belonged?
Nope. Accent of the gentleman seemed to be of a middle eastern country. But i may be wrong.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 16:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Reminds me of Lethal Weapon 2, where Martin Riggs and Roger Murtaugh from LAPD can't do anything against drug dealing south africans who have diplomatic immunity.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 17:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No flag or identification was displayed.
Yeah, thats the way it usually is.
Quote:
Nope. Accent of the gentleman seemed to be of a middle eastern country. But i may be wrong.
This may make tracking the vehicle a bit difficult. But since Edsel has asked you for the country id number, he probably can trace it down and then we can take things ahead. You have the complete number of car anyway right? There must be a list somewhere with the Mumbai Police of all the CC cars that they have in Mumbai.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote