Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th December 2009, 17:13   #76
Senior - BHPian

I am with those who say "no speedbreakers". In the name of controlling traffic and speeds, all we are doing is grooming a generation that will slow down only at speedbreakers. If there is none, they drive like maniacs!

Speeding discipline should be enforced, but not through speedbreakers IMHO!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 10:17   #77
BHPian

There are a number of problems with the sea link from the design perspective, the curve at the worli end is too abrupt, currently the lanes are too narrow and most folks on the water side somehow always drive a distance from the barrier leaving folks on the second lane with too little space.

The dividers are a joke and cramp the second lane further, and we need better ideas on how to divide the road properly while the other side gets completed. On top of this we have the totally reckless u turners who the cops really must clamp down on asap. Combine all these with the usual recklessness of 'I need to get there anyhow' of Mumbai motorists and the accidents are inevitable.

Once cops come up with the relatively easy solutions for the u-turns and dividers accidents will come down, the sharp curve worli side seems be a design oversight and there is no solution to that apart from enforcing speed limits via speed cams etc, the thing with Mumbai motorists is if they know they are going to be caught they immediately fall in line, just one constable on the busiest clogged roads stops all the red light breaking and lane cutting, speed cams accompanied with meaty fines will work.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 01:46   #78
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My two cents. The barriers on Sea link are FRP (fibre reinforced plastic) which is weaker than our conventional plastic barriers. None of the barriers are filled with water or sand. Plus, look at the gap between two pieces.

Be honest and think, would it not make sense and discourage U-turns or unlawful road crossings, if the barriers were interlinked? interconnected? MSRDC should use plastic barriers with inter-connecting wall-forming capability. Preferably the ones which are 1 meter high (discourages pedestrian crossing. Yes, i have experienced this too!) These barriers have water filling capacity upto 90 litres. Think of it this way. If there is a wall of strong plastic barriers each filled upto 90 litres of water (or sand for that instance), will it not be successful in preventing cars upto 80-100 kmph from crossing onto the oncoming side? Ofcourse it would. Hold on, thats not all. The biggest advantage is that after crashing into these barriers, the car will definitely come to a stop in a few metres AND the impact with the barriers will be highly softened (as barriers are plastic and water filled). This will bring fatality chance to very low (or nil). Another advantage, very low relative damage to cars.

Plus, if at all these need to be moved, drain the water using the plug and move the light module easily. Fill the water/sand once again after repositioning. Can it be any easier and safer?!

As per reports, police is planning to install concrete dividers! I guess they are planning for crash tests!? How can you use concrete dividers on a high speed limit sea link? Can you imagine the fatality or the damage to the vehicle?

Here is a link B.D. Industries

I am just highly shocked at the low response these accidents have generated. When are we going to take others' lives seriously?

IMHO, a long wall of inter-connected (no spacing between two barriers) plastic barriers filled with water/sand will definitely go a long way in bringing down the fatality chance on the Sea Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
You wrote couple of 'months' when you actually meant 'years', right ?
You asked for it ..
Very true. They took years to make the first one. Let's wait a few more for the other one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
People are using the BWSL as a joyride route.

The U-turn participants are generally trying to avoid paying a toll at the Bandra end of the Sea link when using this road for a joyride.

The barriers separating the lanes are temporary, once the 2nd parallel bridge is complete the authorities will use the other side as a one way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post

The dividers are a joke and cramp the second lane further, and we need better ideas on how to divide the road properly while the other side gets completed. On top of this we have the totally reckless u turners who the cops really must clamp down on asap. Combine all these with the usual recklessness of 'I need to get there anyhow' of Mumbai motorists and the accidents are inevitable.

Once cops come up with the relatively easy solutions for the u-turns and dividers accidents will come down, the sharp curve worli side seems be a design oversight and there is no solution to that apart from enforcing speed limits via speed cams etc, the thing with Mumbai motorists is if they know they are going to be caught they immediately fall in line
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 12:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

This is not the first accident.

I saw on TV 9 the other day about a Mitsubishi Lancer that apparently decised to take a U Turn on the expressway...

Fail to understand how some people can get so callous!!!
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 14:01   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post

As per reports, police is planning to install concrete dividers! I guess they are planning for crash tests!? How can you use concrete dividers on a high speed limit sea link? Can you imagine the fatality or the damage to the vehicle?
Not arguing much with the rest of your two cents. But this sea link is not a high speed sea link. The speed limit is 50kmph. We may choose to violate it but the speed limit is that.

I can't understand the stupidity of motorists using this link. It is a 6 km long link. At 50 kmph it will take 7 minutes to get across. At 100 kmph - 3.5 minutes. How can 3.5 minutes matter so much? If one is so important and in such a hurry, leave early, hire a driver and get your work done in the car. Why kill others?

Srivathsa
s_yajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:33   #81
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_yajaman View Post
Not arguing much with the rest of your two cents. But this sea link is not a high speed sea link. The speed limit is 50kmph. We may choose to violate it but the speed limit is that.

Srivathsa
FYI, the speed limit was set at 50 kmph for monsoons but was to be increased to 80 kmph after the rains. In the wake of these shocking accidents, this planned change has not been implemented. Isn't 80 kmph a high speed for a bridge over the sea with only two lanes per side?

IMHO, the speed limit set at 50 kmph does not make any difference to motorists. We still see vehicles plying over 100 kmph. A fellow member has touched 250 kmph on the Sea Link! So, basically, there is no real speed limit on the bridge.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 18:16   #82
BHPian

I am not sure if the fellow member was David Coulthard (Just a joke). But touching 250 Km/hr on the Sea Link if it were a 2 lane road either way, is a recipe for disaster.

All said, I was plesantly surprised to see people driving much slower on the sea link. I was on it day before yesterday (Saturday) at about 6:30 PM and yes, the ‘cat’s eyes’ have been hammered into the road at 3 (I think) parts on the sea link. It does the job reasonably well.

Also, to the member who said that the phone network on the sea link is not good anyway: I hope this fact was not tested while you were at the wheel
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 19:19   #83

The more I read all this, the more I like the line in the new CEAT TV ad that says "because there are so many idiots on the road.." or suchlike........
sekharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:10   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Easier said than done! Bigger fines means potentially fatter bribes (even harassment) by our esteemed traffic constabulary.
Personally, I don't care whether it is a bigger fine or a fatter bribe, the fact that people will have to shell out more money will be a deterrent in itself.
Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

^^^So lower speed by augmenting corruption... lol! Anyway, that aside, what about harassment? How about someone catching you when you weren't really doing anything wrong, just to extract a bribe, or even prove how important he is? And the bigger the potential for the bribe, the higher the chances of this happening...
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:04   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_yajaman View Post

I can't understand the stupidity of motorists using this link. It is a 6 km long link. At 50 kmph it will take 7 minutes to get across. At 100 kmph - 3.5 minutes. How can 3.5 minutes matter so much? If one is so important and in such a hurry, leave early, hire a driver and get your work done in the car. Why kill others?

Srivathsa
+1 to that. Actually the Times of India did a test (See Mumbai Mirror of 18th December 2009). I have reproduced the relevant portion of the articl here

Quote:
Both started at around the same time – 12 noon – on the Sea Link, approaching from the Bandra side. Patel was driving a Maruti 800 and Lokhande was at the wheel of a Maruti Suzuki Swift. While Patel’s brief was to strictly adhere to the speed limit, Lokhande was to exceed it.
The intention behind this exercise was to find out how much time a driver gains when he drives much beyond the speed limit.
Lokhande completed the 5.6-km journey in 4.21 minutes – driving between 60 kmph and 100 kmph. He encountered some policemen with speed guns near the bend towards the Worli end, but as he had already slowed down to about 35 kmph to negotiate the bend safely, he was not asked to stop.
Patel, who started just ahead of Lokhande, completed the same journey in 6.09 minutes. He took just about two minutes more than Lokhande to negotiate the 5.6km. tiate at higher speeds. I realised I had made a wise decision. Traffic police were waiting with speed guns and I saw they had zeroed in on the Toyota Qualis that had overtaken me.
I often take the Sea Link to work and usually travel at 80 kmph for the most part of the stretch. Today wasn't any different. But after I matched my time with Patel's, for the first time I realised I was taking far too many risks for too little time saved. least 50 vehicles had overtaken me. It took me nearly 6.09 minutes to cross the entire Sea Link.

CAUTIONARY NOTE

We attempted to violate the speed limit on the Sea Link with the wider interest of creating awareness about the dangers of over speeding. While we were fortunate we did not meet with an accident, readers are advised not to repeat it.
Oh and btw the bridge had rumblers reinstalled during this test. Also more 4200 people have been fined by the police for speeding from July 1 to date. This is the official stats from the police and IMHO does not include the people who got off after paying a bribe.

If people are not aware, at many places in Mumbai. You don't get fined on the spot but the cop takes away your license and issues you a temporary authority letter to enable you to drive. You have to go to the police station to collect your license after paying the fine within 15 days and not on the day of the offence. Sometimes the police station is far away, e.g. if you get caught at Gandhi Nagar signal at Vikhroli, the police station is at Kurla, a good 6-7 kms and 30 minute drive away.
adits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:07   #87
BHPian

Quote:
^^^So lower speed by augmenting corruption... lol! Anyway, that aside, what about harassment? How about someone catching you when you weren't really doing anything wrong, just to extract a bribe, or even prove how important he is? And the bigger the potential for the bribe, the higher the chances of this happening...
+ also to 'meet monthly targets'. Even if one's not at fault.

When their collection is not met, we have seen plenty of such events on roads and they just randomly catch and extract from every tom dick and harry for any arbit reason.

Last edited by jigbarai : 23rd December 2009 at 17:10.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:07   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
+1 to that. Actually the Times of India did a test (See Mumbai Mirror of 18th December 2009). I have reproduced the relevant portion of the articl here
Adits - thanks. I guess Newton's laws hold even on the BWSL. I have seen Mumbai Mirror's observations play out on the ORR and the BIAL road time after time. From Hebbal to BIAL is about 28 km. At 80 kmph max (or average 60kmph) probably 30 minutes. At 120 kmph max and average (90 kmph) 20 minutes. Again is 5-10 minutes such a big deal? OT - but my strict instructions to my taxi driver are speed limit of 80 kmph from Hebbal, all traffic lights to be followed regardless of the time of the day, no honking needlessly or else he loses my business. And given that my business covers his EMI he has no choice but to obey.

Average speeds in our cities hover around the 15-18 kmph mark inspite of all of us driving above speed limits where we can. That should tell us something about how much time we spend at signals. Hopefully the light of mathematics will dawn on us at some point of time.

Srivathsa
s_yajaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:34   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh come on! Corruption is present everywhere in every phase of society. Everytime any discussion comes up, 3-4 people put in corruption posts and take the thread on a tangent. Move on...
Show me how many people have bribed their way out of drunk driving? Let's focus on how to avoid accidents and speeding on the sea link rather than assuming cops will take a fine and let's not spoil their name. Bombay cops do a good job under existing circumstances.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 03:15   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Oh come on! Corruption is present everywhere in every phase of society. Everytime any discussion comes up, 3-4 people put in corruption posts and take the thread on a tangent. Move on...
Show me how many people have bribed their way out of drunk driving? Let's focus on how to avoid accidents and speeding on the sea link rather than assuming cops will take a fine and let's not spoil their name. Bombay cops do a good job under existing circumstances.
DUI catches & convictions add to a traffic cop's promotion chances, there is a preset limit as to how many are convicted in the administration manual of the Mumbai Police, if they manage the preset number their promotion is destined. This is the report from a lawyer. Very good piece of legislation.

My 2 cents.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote