Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th December 2009, 13:29   #1
BHPian

Default Hit and run witnessed on Gurgaon Expressway

Hi everyone,

I was on my way to work this morning around 1130 on the NH-8 to Gurgaon. I was at driving at about 90kmph in the right most lane. For those of you who know the highway, you will know that just after the Radisson flyover stretch the road bends to the right.

Just as the flyover comes down, I see a white Hyundai Accent - it looked quite new, think it was the GLE or GLS. It had wheel covers so I'm guessing GLS - (Regn: RJ 02 -- 9207 or 7209) in my mirror and the guy is flying left right left right and was obviously driving ALOT faster than everyone else on the road. The driver looked late 20's early 30's and there were two other guys in the car with him. They were now driving ahead of me, diagonally left of me in the 2nd lane from the right.

Just as we came off the flyover, on the curve right I see 3 guys crossing the road; one of them being the guards who stand at the entries and exits of the highway.

I slowed down, still in the right most lane; the Accent in the 2nd lane from the right. He served to the left to overtake another car in front of him and drove straight through the three guys crossing. The guard and 1 guy avoided getting hit and came running across into my path. I braked and swerved towards the divider and stopped with the guys about 5 feet from the car. The Accent hit on guy who was on the road in the most unimaginable position. Accent didnt stop.

The 2 guys ran back to the body on the road and began pulling him to the side. He was completely motionless.

I floored my car in order to get the Accent number, I managed to get a partial number (which is above) and stopped at the Highway Patrol car which was parked about 100metres ahead. Told them what happened and they swung into action (alot faster than I expected) - got onto their walkies radioed ahead telling their control room to check toll booths and services, and starting reversing back to the spot.

At this point, they told me to carry on and that they would take care of things.

I had no option but to get on to office and am still shocked with what happened. I cant get over it, it just seems surreal. Still cant get over it.

First time I've witnessed something like this and I'm actually at a loss for words. Never seen any human body in the position ever in my life.
anantnehru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 13:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

I can imagine how shaken up you must be having watched this unfortunate incident. I hope you get over it soon. And you did a fine job too getting a look while you followed. I hope they catch the people involved.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 15:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please get in touch with the Highway patrol again; and offer to be witness.

One thing we lack in this country is honest witnesses. They (the police and lawyers) may be rude to you. They may insult you. They may shout at you. Remember that they are just putting stress on you to see if you are sticking to the original version.

But you have undergone stress interviews for jobs, have you not?

You may be interviewed at least twice at the police station; and you may have to spend one full day at the court, may be 3 or 4 years later.

But heck, the accent driver / his relatives may offer you a fortune too.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:12   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Crossing the road, at the point that you have mentioned is very dangerous and suicidal ... Everyone speeds up the moment they enter the flyovers heading towards ggn. I hope the cops have caught the accent.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is just carelessness of the people crossing the road, there is a speed limit of 80 km per hour at this stretch, this is an expressway, people are paying toll for express speed without any restrictions (speed breakers, signals etc ) on the road. When will the pedestrians understand !!

A majority of the people donot think twice before crossing the road, recently the expressway authorities have installed barricades on the road divider to stop people from crossing. When the hell will they learn NOT to cross where there is a sea of vehicles oozing past at 80 + km per hr speed at all times of the day.

The pedestrian should be charged for trespassing the road and posing his and others lives (cars drivers) on the road at danger by crossing the road at that point. Just imagine, if the accent guy would have slammed brakes hard, he could have been hit behind by some vehicle, God forbid if the trailing vehicle could have been a truck, then his accent and he would have been in pieces.

These pedestrians who donot care about their lives and cross the roads where they are not allowed to should be challaned VERY VERY HEAVILY.

Last year in a traffic drive in Delhi there was 20 rupees fine for pedestrians who jaywalk on the roads, on Gurgaon Expressway there is no such fine, while here this should be 500 bucks, and the pedestrians causing accidents should be taken to court and fined in Lakhs of rupees.

Sorry for being so harsh, but cant help, even I cross the road, but only where it is allowed, even if that means walking 2kms away. Donot play with your life, I wont cross a railway track when train is coming, be sensible.

Hope the law takes into consideration the point of view of driver of the car and other people can also justify the reasons of accident. If one guy saw pedestrian and could prevent accident, thats not an excuse for someone who is not expecting any pedestrian on the road to not stop the vehicle in front of one standing on the expressway amongst a sea of vehicles.

If you are called for this, kindly PM me and let me know and I will try to push it from the drivers perspective, what is he supposed to do !!

Attaching a picture of the barricade at this very same point which I clicked today in the morning (coincidence)
Attached Thumbnails
Hit and run witnessed on Gurgaon Expressway-cimg0091.jpg  

Last edited by tanwaramit : 19th December 2009 at 16:33.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:28   #6
BHPian

I can imagine your state, Anant. I witnessed two bodies lying on either side the road with 2 bikes (on either side of the road) at 10:30 last night in a dim lit gully in Bangalore. There were about 20 people around and I slowed the car almost to a stop and rolled down the window. The body language of the crowd told me that they didn't need any help. This is a smooth road with minimal traffic and not many street lights.

At more or less the same spot, I witnessed a live accident when a biker was hit perpendicular by a Tavera last week in broad day light. The bike was smashed and rotated 2-3 times in the air however the guy had a lucky escape (though the Tavera guys beat him up). It was totally the mistake of the biker who didn't check before doing that u turn on the road.

However I understand that you must have been thoroughly shaken.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:35   #7
BHPian

Your effort is appreciated.Sad to hear about the guard though.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Despite those huge grilles people find some way to by-pass them, i have personally seen uncountable near miss hits. Its a suicide attempt to cross the express way, cars come charging like missiles at speeds above 100kph here without any following any specific lane.

The Expressway from Manesar to Dhaula kuan is a very dangerous stretch, both for Vehicles and Pedestrians.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@mods: Please lock the thread and change the original poster. Else you never know if the bad guys use thread creater info to track down the original poster and harass him. And do delete this unrelated post when done!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 16:58   #10
BHPian

@anant: Good work, my friend.

@tanwaramit: I agree with you regarding Jaywalkers. But I also feel that law enforcement has to be a lot stricter for everyone, including reckless drivers and others who blatantly disregard traffic rules and road regulations. Expressways and highways, particularly with their higher traffic, speeds require much greater driving discipline. But unfortunately in places like Delhi, discipline is the last thing you notice on the roads. Everyone drives as they want and, in fact, derive pleasure and a sort of sick pride in breaking rules, jumping lights, etc. You should just see the smirks on their faces when you come up against someone driving on the wrong side and blocking the road dead in front of you! The same goes for jaywalkers, cyclists and of course, motorcyclists zig-zagging through traffic at insane speeds.
In the picture you've attached, don't miss the merry LPG cylinder laden cyclist on the expressway!
All this leads one to wonder, just how many mishaps, road rage incidents and dead people will take before people (citizens and law enforcement both) wake up and do something...
jerry can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
@tanwaramit: I agree with you regarding Jaywalkers. But I also feel that law enforcement has to be a lot stricter for everyone, including reckless drivers and others who blatantly disregard traffic rules and road regulations. Expressways and highways, particularly with their higher traffic, speeds require much greater driving discipline. But unfortunately in places like Delhi, discipline is the last thing you notice on the roads. Everyone drives as they want and, in fact, derive pleasure and a sort of sick pride in breaking rules, jumping lights, etc. You should just see the smirks on their faces when you come up against someone driving on the wrong side and blocking the road dead in front of you! The same goes for jaywalkers, cyclists and of course, motorcyclists zig-zagging through traffic at insane speeds.
In the picture you've attached, don't miss the merry LPG cylinder laden cyclist on the expressway!
All this leads one to wonder, just how many mishaps, road rage incidents and dead people will take before people (citizens and law enforcement both) wake up and do something...
We can talk about the systems etc, but this is different. The enforcement authorities have done a lot. When this expressway was opened there used to be lots of accidents due to people crossing the roads. They constructed Foot Over Bridge for people to cross, started FREE bus service which takes them from this side of the road to the other side, still people didnt care, then they have installed these barricades of around 5+ Feet so that people donot cross, but still people jump them and try to cross the road. They donot think about their lives while crossing the road. Yesterday I was talking to my colleague, who had tried it crossing this expressway road once in Gurgaon, he swears by to never try it again, for its too dangerous. When will these people learn to not to play with their lives.

Whatever you are saying is true, however each accident case is different and in this case the pedestrian is at fault and should be taken to court for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.

The cyclist you mentioned, is driving the left most lane, which is meant as a service lane (like US) to puncture your repair or any other like that job. He is causing danger to his life but a large less degree than the one who got hit while crossing the road at that point.

I dont know whether you have seen the traffic here, its like too much , cars cruising at 80+ kmph speed with a gap of just 2 meters and no place to change lanes. One of the most high speed traffic zones I have seen in India (I can say).

That pedestrian should be charged in the court.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 19th December 2009 at 17:16.
Old 19th December 2009, 17:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the car hit one of the guards, you can be sure there will be some action taken. The cops always work doubly hard when someone of their own is involved. I know the guard may not be a cop per se, but you get the point.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:29   #13
BHPian

@tanwaramit: Don't get me wrong, i completely agree with you about the pedestrian chaos out there. I'm just adding that almost everyone's gone nuts on these high speed roads. And the authorities are not doing enough - they still can't even stop 2-wheelers and auto rickshaws from entering the off-limit expressways, and these guys enter from the main entry points which are manned. The pedestrians, of course, jump in from where ever they like!
Also nobody's got any business driving at 120+ on these 90 kmph expressways, still almost everyone gets away with it - i say almost because some do get challaned, and the rest crash..
jerry can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 17:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Since the car hit one of the guards, you can be sure there will be some action taken. The cops always work doubly hard when someone of their own is involved. I know the guard may not be a cop per se, but you get the point.
This was not the cop, but local guard employed to drive the traffic and restrict two wheelers, three wheelers and other such slow moving vehicles to enter the expressway. The authorities have to take the blame of their person goofing up by crossing the roads where they are not allowed to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
I'm just adding that almost everyone's gone nuts on these high speed roads. And the authorities are not doing enough - they still can't even stop 2-wheelers and auto rickshaws from entering the off-limit expressways, and these guys enter from the main entry points which are manned. The pedestrians, of course, jump in from where ever they like!
Also nobody's got any business driving at 120+ on these 90 kmph expressways, still almost everyone gets away with it - i say almost because some do get challaned, and the rest crash..
Let us not judge on the speed of others doing on that road, yes there are supercars being driven on that road. However as I am coming back again, this case was a foolishness of one person because of which he got hit and put others lives into danger. I may sound repetitive, but I am shocked as I drive myself daily on this road with speeds of 80-90 (90 is allowed in Gurgaon side) and will not be able to do anything if all of a sudden I find someone is standing on the road.

Why not a trend be started of charging pedestrians in court for threatening the lives of others by popping in front on the expressway. They cannot be supported by Expressway authorities as the authorities have tried their level best for people to stop crossing the roads.
Old 19th December 2009, 18:11   #15
BHPian

@jerry can: The picture posted by tanwaramit is part where there is no service lane(Delhi side, next to the airport) so what do you expect to cyclist to do, dont use the road. Aren't people being forced to get onto expressway because there is nothing as service lane for slow moving cyclists/rickshaws to move.

@tanwaramit: I have not used Gurgaon expressway since quite sometime, so wanted you to ask whether the promised FOB's have been constructed or not. if yes then the blame surely lies on the pedestrian.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote