Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 17th February 2010, 14:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

I guess you are talking about the entry points from Delhi to NH1, yes they are bad and pathetic, once you reach on the highway, after TDI Tundli ( I guess) its such a relief.

I reached back delhi at 2AM and it was so comfortable with no traffic at all, however the uneven roads and unfinished work with no streetlights made it tough for what could have been an easy ride.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 20:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
Why are flyovers being constructed at absolute deserted places, where there is no traffic congestion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
+1 to that. If flyovers are being constructed at places where there appears to be no traffic now, it speaks of the long term plans of the Govt. Very Good. This is the way roads should be planned keeping in mind the future requirements.
Flyovers are being constructed where traffic from some village / town is merging on the NH1. There were major accidents due to vehicles coming from village road directly on NH1. These flyovers will help in cutting the numbers of those accidents.
They first make roads (2 lanes wide) for diverting the traffic from NH1 and then do the diversion. They have also installed refelecters / indicators running with solar energy at every diversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
NH1 is getting widened up to Amritsar.
This work of 6 laning is from Panipat to Jallandhar awarded to Soma Isolux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How many years does NHAI need to make a 20km stretch of road signal free with flyovers after construction has started?
1 year, 2 year, 3 years..?
Well even 5 have not been enough.
The stretch is such a big mess now that even at 7am in the morning there are 2 hour jams. One side of the carriageway is barely 2 vehicles wide, with numerous crossings and small colonies on the side.
the surface is broken, and there are no warning boards anywhere. Late at night you can end up in a ditch.
Meanwhile flyovers at Murthal, Sonepat and Panipat which were started much later than 2005 are up and running.
However this stretch of the road, which is the sole major entry point in to NCR from North India remains in a state of neglect.
The name of the contractor on the boards keeps on changing every few months, and no work gets done.
A year from now the entire NH1 would be six lane, and this stretch would be the same.
you would expect traffic cops here to help? right?
Wrong?
They have found a 1km stretch which is wide and nicely made. All they do is sit at the end of stretch with radar guns, because they know anybody escaping that jam would definitely cross 60. So its a good money maker.

Meanwhile crores have been wasted as partially constructed roads go bad after a short spell of rains, and contractors keep changing.
You are right Tanveer. NHAI has already taken more than 8 years to complete this 13 km stretch. This stretch is awarded third time in 2009 as the first contractor was not making satisfactory progress and the second one was not meeting NHAI's requirements. Now hopefully we have to wait for another year for a smooth drive on this stretch.

Last edited by Irish : 17th February 2010 at 20:09.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 17:23   #18
BHPian

IMO, it is such a miserable situation for the commuters.

We pay the tolls, also we have to face the brunt of speed guns.
Yesterday, i went to Ambala & it took me 1 hour to cross the long going construction strecth. As soon as i was on the open road, there were 2 PCR vans carrying speed guns separated by 2 kms. Even in haryana, i witnessed 2 more speed guns.

Well, it was helluva drive. Once this highway used to be a driver's heaven but now it has turned to hell.

Can anybody give me an idea of how's the progress of 4 laning work going on after jalandhar till jammu.

AFAIK, there is a 25 km 4 lane stretch till bhogpur. then after lakhanpur border till jammu there are majority of stretches with 4 laning.
The situation between bhogpur & pathankot if anyone knows
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 11:47   #19
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: NH1 now a nightmare - thanks to six (eight?) lane project.

We might have to wait for another 2 years for the NH1 completion (20 km stretch). But rest of the work will be completed by MARCH 2013.

Quote:
However, a 20km stretch (Bidhipur-Dhilwan in Punjab) on the Panipat-Wagah section of NH-1 is only two-laned and could turn out to be a major bottleneck in movement of cargo from Pakistan and Afghanistan to India through Wagah. The rest of the road is either four-laned or is being widened to six lanes.

The Centre has put road improvement works on this stretch on fast track in light of Wagah becoming the main transit point for trade with Pakistan and Afghanistan. But it will take at least two years to complete the project. Those who frequently take this stretch said the 20km stretch is in bad condition.

In fact, the slow pace of six-laning work by Soma-Isolux consortium on this stretch has been a major concern. Recently, the Punjab and Haryana High Court had sought a commitment on deadline from the developer. The consortium told the court that it will complete work on the Haryana portion by this year-end and on the Punjab stretch by March next year. The court also warned the developer to impose a huge fine if the deadlines were not met.
Source: Indo-Pak trade: Narrow road leading to Wagah could be a bottleneck - The Times of India

Cheers!
Irish
Old 10th August 2012, 16:37   #20
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: NH1 now a nightmare - thanks to six (eight?) lane project.

Off to Chandigarh tomorrow. Anything that I need to be wary off ? How are the road conditions, post whatever rain we have seen this year ?

Plan to start at 5.30 from Dwarka and wish to reach at 12 noon (Tea break + Breakfast Break + Max Speed of 80kmph)
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 01:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: NH1 now a nightmare - thanks to six (eight?) lane project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Off to Chandigarh tomorrow. Anything that I need to be wary off ? How are the road conditions, post whatever rain we have seen this year ?

Plan to start at 5.30 from Dwarka and wish to reach at 12 noon (Tea break + Breakfast Break + Max Speed of 80kmph)
No, worries or something, as such on this route. Just some diversions and all. But, nothing to bother about. Roads are in good condition.

If you're leaving at 5:30, I guess you'll reach chandigarh in 4 hours easily, Add 30mins more, for a parantha break in between

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 11th August 2012 at 01:03.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 11:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

Yep, it was a good experience overall. 5.45 am to 10.30 am
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 14:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I travelled from Fraidabad (started at 7.45 am) to Ambala Cantt (reached there at 11.45 am) yesterday. The condition is much better as compared to last time (3 months ago) & getting better, but, the tar seems to have made the roads uneven in most stretches.

Had to be watchful for the speed cameras, & did not exceed 90 kmph mostly, except once or twice. Got rewarded with fantastic mileage too - 31.22 kmpkg (CNG) for highway driving only. Overall mileage including city use of CNG for past 3 days 28.48 kmpkg.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 14:55   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Well folks, seems that the Delhi NCR crowd has been spoilt. Try the first bit of the GQ to be started (NH25) esp around Unnao and you will forget your woes forever.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 15:28   #25
BHPian

Cool Re: NH1 now a nightmare - thanks to six (eight?) lane project.

Almost all the flyovers are now functioning between Panipat and Amabala except for the ones which are in towns like Karnal bye pass (only one out of 5 is functional), Traori, Nilokheri, Pipli (Kurukshetra - longest diversion on service road), Shahabad Markanda (second longest diversion on service road) and one is after after crossing Ambala Cantt. Railway station.

Heard from somebody that the SOMA ISOLUX (contractor) has got some strict deadline to complete the NH1 part within Haryana limits in late 2012. That's why they are working in full swing. Opening flyovers without even side protectors and final layer of tar on the road.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 13th August 2012, 16:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Yep, it was a good experience overall. 5.45 am to 10.30 am
Hi Eddy, I will be travelling with a pillion from Delhi to Chandigarh on the 2nd of Sept, ( Sunday ) on my bullet 350!!
We plan to leave early in the morning from Delhi, about, 0500 - 0530 and the general impression from the posts herein is that the roads are in a good condition but just wanted to ask, if there is anything you think I need to keep in mind or prepare for this stretch??

thanks
PGNarain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 17:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Hi Eddy, I will be travelling with a pillion from Delhi to Chandigarh on the 2nd of Sept, ( Sunday ) on my bullet 350!!
We plan to leave early in the morning from Delhi, about, 0500 - 0530 and the general impression from the posts herein is that the roads are in a good condition but just wanted to ask, if there is anything you think I need to keep in mind or prepare for this stretch??
Its all normal, just a few diversions, nothing more.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote