Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 28th December 2009, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Default NH1 now a nightmare - thanks to six (eight?) lane project.

I traveled to Ludhiana from Delhi last weekend, after a gap or four months. It turned out to be quite a nightmare, the same route which used to be a driver's delight before.

Recently they had started a project to six lane (maybe eight lane) the whole stretch from Panipat to Jalandhar, as a result of which, they have dug up the road on both sides of highway for the widening purpose. Innumerable trees have been cut. The construction work going on there is continuing with utter disregard to passenger's safety travelling on the road.

Atleast 15 accidents was what i witnessed on a stretch of 700 kms to and fro. One of the accidents was so bad that the car involved was not recognizable. Some of the accidents can be attributed to fog, but i have traveled on this road under dense fog conditions and have not witnessed more than two accidents on the entire stretch.

Who will bear the responsibility for thousands of precious lives lost during the construction period? Why is the construction work being carried out with such utter disregard for passenger safety?

Some of the construction being done is utterly useless - the flyovers are being constructed after pouring mud in the middle of the highway and raising the level for road construction. Where has the days of modern construction gone? What happened to elevated roads on concrete pillars? Why are flyovers being constructed at absolute deserted places, where there is no traffic congestion?

And the worst thing is that travelers has to pay for all the risk to their lives in form of toll charges, which are unusually high. This is like a chicken paying the butcher for being slaughtered.

When would indian society wake up to the fact that human life is valuable?

Last edited by pb10gagan : 28th December 2009 at 11:07.
pb10gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 14:35   #2
BHPian

Although I agree there could be better ways to do construction work and warn incoming traffic about obstacles, etc. yet I do not agree that unnecessary flyovers, etc. are being constructed. NH1 is getting widened up to Amritsar.

It was an awesome moment when I was speeding at 140KM/h+ for at least 5-6 KMs in a stretch near Beas, a month back. Work on that stretch had completed. It was assuring enough and didn't have a single jerk.

Who knows, their pre-construction might bring cheer a decade later. No one probably wants govt. to start rework on this every 5 years.

Regarding accidents, I see at least five accidents weekly on the road I travel to, which connects to NH1. They increase in fog intensive days like in coming week. I have managed to escape several myself. :S I wish somehow the accidents are reduced to nil. :(

None of the flyovers, from Ludhiana to Amritsar are unnecessary to me at least. Can't wonder how you summed up for the other side of NH1. They are making it an "express way", where supposedly you shouldn't need to stop.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 28th December 2009 at 14:39.
Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 15:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. If flyovers are being constructed at places where there appears to be no traffic now, it speaks of the long term plans of the Govt. Very Good. This is the way roads should be planned keeping in mind the future requirements.

And what method of flyover construction, depends on the budget, the type of terrain and many other dependencies. Lets be happy that we are at least getting flyovers for now.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 19:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

i agree
i use this stretch quite often and was surprised to see the number of diversions till ludhiana
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
i agree
i use this stretch quite often and was surprised to see the number of diversions till ludhiana
I agree

After driving throughthe golden quad mumbai-delhi.
The NH1 was a real nightmare with long traffic jams at Toll gates and otherwise. to& fro delhi-jammu.
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 11:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Travellers safety comes first for sure

+1 better roads are a must in that region due the increasing traffic. The panipat/sonipat and some other regions are real bad during the night.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 11:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Same story everywhere. The Jaipur highway is a mess too. You pay so much toll to crawl at 10kmph behind trucks!
by the time they make it six lanes, the traffic will grow to 8 lane proportions!
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 11:50   #8
BHPian

+ 1 Tsk, on the same highway the moment you leave Delhi towards Ambala, the work has been going on from years & still there are no signs of completion. Traffic is increasing day by day & work is crawling to increase the number of Jams & accidents.
Out of 4 lanes most of the time 2 lanes each side will be blocked for the contruction work
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 11:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

+1 on that. The last time i was on that highway in the night we were stuck for a good 1hr in stand still traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Same story everywhere. The Jaipur highway is a mess too. You pay so much toll to crawl at 10kmph behind trucks!
by the time they make it six lanes, the traffic will grow to 8 lane proportions!
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 12:13   #10
BHPian

Havnt been on NH1 of late but I am sure it must still be much better than NH8. Thats the worst nightmare.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 17:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Which is why my or our minds sooth themselves saying it'll be 8 lanes albeit it not being the truth. I'm worried about NH1. Current project is for mix of 2, 4 and 6 lanes only.

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 29th December 2009 at 17:33.
Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 15:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

guys, how long is this construction ? I am leaving tomorrow noon from delhi to amritsar, how much delay can I expect ?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 16:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
guys, how long is this construction ? I am leaving tomorrow noon from delhi to amritsar, how much delay can I expect ?
its all over with diversions at a few places.
wont bother you much,but keep your eyes open for diversions
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 10:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
its all over with diversions at a few places.
wont bother you much,but keep your eyes open for diversions
thanks for the update Akshay, will keep my eyes open for any such diversions. Hope, can follow traffic here
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 13:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

How many years does NHAI need to make a 20km stretch of road signal free with flyovers after construction has started?
1 year, 2 year, 3 years..?
Well even 5 have not been enough.
The stretch is such a big mess now that even at 7am in the morning there are 2 hour jams. One side of the carriageway is barely 2 vehicles wide, with numerous crossings and small colonies on the side.
the surface is broken, and there are no warning boards anywhere. Late at night you can end up in a ditch.
Meanwhile flyovers at Murthal, Sonepat and Panipat which were started much later than 2005 are up and running.
However this stretch of the road, which is the sole major entry point in to NCR from North India remains in a state of neglect.
The name of the contractor on the boards keeps on changing every few months, and no work gets done.
A year from now the entire NH1 would be six lane, and this stretch would be the same.
you would expect traffic cops here to help? right?
Wrong?
They have found a 1km stretch which is wide and nicely made. All they do is sit at the end of stretch with radar guns, because they know anybody escaping that jam would definitely cross 60. So its a good money maker.

Meanwhile crores have been wasted as partially constructed roads go bad after a short spell of rains, and contractors keep changing.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote