Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 3rd January 2010, 23:36   #1
BANNED

Default Car with Pak sticker sparks panic

KOLKATA: A car abandoned in central Kolkata with a Pakistan marking on it sparked tension in the area on Sunday, forcing the police to break its window panes to see if there was a bomb inside.

According to police, the car was parked near the Indian Museum on the Jawaharlal Nehru Road since Saturday night.

Panicky shopkeepers alerted the police when they found the Toyota Land Cruiser parked at the same spot Sunday morning too.

Policemen broke open the window panes, only to find a driving licence, documents, books and articles of daily use. An officer said the car owner was an Oxford University student, Alexander Henry Parcel.

"Maybe, he had gone to Pakistan sometime back and hired the car there and brought it to India. He has all the proper documents," the officer said.

Car with Pak sticker sparks panic - Kolkata - City - The Times of India

im curious about the last paragraph in bold! how can he hire the car in pakistan and cross the border and bring it to india?
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:42   #2
BANNED

LOL.

I guess now we can even get our cars from Pakistan then.

The question is who is going to buy it ?

One more question, Will the police pay for the Damage caused to the vehicle as it involves Two Outside Parties : Pakistan's Vehicle & Foreign Student.

People are wierd. Why would someone mark his vehicle if he would set a bomb in it ? LOL
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

He might have imported an used TLC from UAE. AFAIK, TLC will cost 80L to 130L (pak rupees) in Pakistan. The report says it has pakistan "marking" and not plates....
sandeepmdas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 00:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

the number seems foreign.

The sticker read Toyota Islamabad. He might have serviced the LC there.

BTW is there any dealership named Islamabad in india. Why i am asking this is there is actually a dealership in Gujarat by the name of Toyota East Africa.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 09:43   #5
BANNED

could anyone source a photo of this particular vehicle in news?
Old 4th January 2010, 13:27   #6
BHPian

The Telegraph, Kolkata edition gives the full details:

A car bearing the sticker “Toyota Islamabad” was seen parked on JL Nehru Road in the Esplanade area for 17 hours, triggering panic among hawkers who alerted police on Sunday afternoon.

The registration number of the Toyota Land Cruiser, beginning with an “L”, prompted speculations about the car being from Lahore.

The cops, however, later identified the owner as Alexander Henry Purcle, a Briton who has set out on a world tour. The banker, who has put up in a Sudder Street hotel, told the sleuths that he had entered India on October 20, 2009, from Pakistan through the Wagah border. After touring north and east India he went to Nepal, from where he came to Calcutta via Darjeeling on Saturday evening.

“Since Sudder Street was one-way, I parked the car in front of Bible Society. I know India is a safe country,” an officer quoted Purcle as saying. The car, returned to Purcle, has been registered with the London transport department.
Attached Images

neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 15:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Surprise!

with a little bit of research, India does have a place called pakistan, guess where?? near surat in gujarat.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 22:52   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
The Telegraph, Kolkata edition gives the full details:

A car bearing the sticker “Toyota Islamabad” was seen parked on JL Nehru Road in the Esplanade area for 17 hours, triggering panic among hawkers who alerted police on Sunday afternoon.

The registration number of the Toyota Land Cruiser, beginning with an “L”, prompted speculations about the car being from Lahore.

The cops, however, later identified the owner as Alexander Henry Purcle, a Briton who has set out on a world tour. The banker, who has put up in a Sudder Street hotel, told the sleuths that he had entered India on October 20, 2009, from Pakistan through the Wagah border. After touring north and east India he went to Nepal, from where he came to Calcutta via Darjeeling on Saturday evening.

“Since Sudder Street was one-way, I parked the car in front of Bible Society. I know India is a safe country,” an officer quoted Purcle as saying. The car, returned to Purcle, has been registered with the London transport department.
this is a England number plate and not pakistani! maybe he got his LC serviced in pakistan.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

haha the poor chap would have no clue regarding what is happening with his vehicle.
this shows the average ignorance levels among people.
seriously if this happened in any other country . there would be a series of lawsuits .
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 22:53   #10
BHPian

i heard that vehicles from either side can't pass. How did he manage to enter by road then?
Abbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 14:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Surprise!

with a little bit of research, India does have a place called pakistan, guess where?? near surat in gujarat.
I suppose its the other way round...there is a Gujrat in Pakistan; refer the link Gujrat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
swarooppatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 21:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
the number seems foreign.

The sticker read Toyota Islamabad. He might have serviced the LC there.

BTW is there any dealership named Islamabad in india. Why i am asking this is there is actually a dealership in Gujarat by the name of Toyota East Africa.
the dealership also put a sticker saying 'my birthplace is feast africa' on the rear windscreen . i have seen few innovas and qualis here.
siedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 21:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why i am asking this is there is actually a dealership in Gujarat by the name of Toyota East Africa.
That dealership is perhaps started by some nostalgic Gujju. There were so many Gujarati families emigrated to East Africa/Rhodesia (Zimbabwe)/SA in the late 19th century. Remember, Gandhiji went to SA to act as a solicitor for a Gujarati business family there, in 1892.

http://www.encounter.co.za/article/112.html

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th January 2010 at 21:40.
sandeepmdas is online now   Reply With Quote