Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 9th January 2010, 21:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
While maintaining safe distance is responsibility of vehicle on rear side, it is responsibility of the vehicle in front to,

a) Indicate that he is taking a turn. (Did he have indicators on, or did he just brake?)
b) to avoid dangerous driving.

Sudden braking *for no reason* is not allowed either.
You maybe right in that the guy in front could be hauled for dangerous driving (though there can be reasons galore why he needs to brake hard), but in case of rear-ending, the guy in the rear vehicle is _still_ guilty of causing the accident, and I cannot see how he can claim any damages of the guy in front.
Bottomline, as far as accident is concerned, the guy behind is responsible for causing the accident by not keeping safe distance and driving speed regardless of braking my the car in front (and assuming there was not sudden swerving/lane change etc that caused a side or offset collision)

Last edited by lancer_rit : 9th January 2010 at 21:20.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 21:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

In theory, a case can still be filed against the driver who took the U turn for rash and negligent driving.

In practice, it's not practical to do so.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 21:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
3. If the vehicle behind does not follow #1, you are obliged to maintain still greater distance from the vehicle in front of you so that you can give the vehicle behind sufficient braking space.
Then the vehicle behind you suddenly down shifts and fills the safe distance you have kept with the vehicle ahead you
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 23:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Then the vehicle behind you suddenly down shifts and fills the safe distance you have kept with the vehicle ahead you

Choose between a swelling ego and a dented car.

What do you prefer?

Edit see this page = http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...buffalo-4.html (Innova meets the buffalo)

And the link I have posted at #50

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th January 2010 at 23:15.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010, 23:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

@RX 135: I felt EXACTLY the way you do. Stopping suddenly in the middle of a highway, is unforgivable. But what to do ? Nobody seems to agree, and ultimately there is nothing in the law to decide this, except for lengthy court cases which will outlive me . Hence I gave up.

@samurai and dippy: thanks guys, lovely posts and great advice.

@issigonis: You bet buddy.. If I'd been in my dear old Fiat 1100, I would've been totalled from the front as well as the rear.
In retrospect, the Indica would be finished too - a 1962 fiat is made up of thicker metal than modern cars can dream of.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 10th January 2010 at 00:00.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 09:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samurai,

Once you are habituated driving in abroad, it is difficult to drive in India. Not only in driving but even day to day life we are having problem of the system here. It took 3 years for me to adjust after my return.

While driving I keep distance from front vehicle, but the other driver happen to be a passenger with us, he or she start to teach us their method and virtually they drive. This is a difficult situation and you can't get angry because he or she may be your close friend or a relative, So life has to go on your fate.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 11:30   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Once you are habituated driving in abroad, it is difficult to drive in India. Not only in driving but even day to day life we are having problem of the system here. It took 3 years for me to adjust after my return.
Yeah, but we have to adopt. I used to drive whenever I used to visit India on vacation. When I returned for good 6 years back, I started with Santro Automatic for the transition period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
While driving I keep distance from front vehicle, but the other driver happen to be a passenger with us, he or she start to teach us their method and virtually they drive.
None among my relatives would dare try to teach me driving. But, I find a different problem.

1) Maintaining X car distance depending on speed.
Some idiot always squeezes into the distance, forcing me to increase the gap again. Once I increase the gap, the next idiot squeezes in and the cycle repeats.

2) Yielding to cars trying to enter the road from the side.
In US, if you are crawling in bumper-to-bumper traffic, one always yields to the car trying to enter. That car will enter, the driver waves you a thanks. The next car behind him doesn't follow him on the tail, instead waits for the next yield gesture, which might be provided by the car behind you. In India however, nobody yields. Sometimes I yield due to old practice of courtesy, and instantly regret. The car driver to whom I yield generally gives me a "what a loser" look than a thank you wave. And every car behind him will ensure they follow the tail, and you will be stuck until every car from the side enters the main road. Meanwhile wife curses me for forgetting which country I drive in currently. Even now I yield sometimes if I am not in a hurry, with the usual result, but it makes me feel like a saint.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 14:06   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

2) Yielding to cars trying to enter the road from the side.
In US, if you are crawling in bumper-to-bumper traffic, one always yields to the car trying to enter. That car will enter, the driver waves you a thanks. The next car behind him doesn't follow him on the tail, instead waits for the next yield gesture, which might be provided by the car behind you. In India however, nobody yields. Sometimes I yield due to old practice of courtesy, and instantly regret. The car driver to whom I yield generally gives me a "what a loser" look than a thank you wave. And every car behind him will ensure they follow the tail, and you will be stuck until every car from the side enters the main road. Meanwhile wife curses me for forgetting which country I drive in currently. Even now I yield sometimes if I am not in a hurry, with the usual result, but it makes me feel like a saint.
Second your point Samurai.

I always yield when I see a vehicle denied entry due to vehicles on the main road 'pressing up' and denying space. However, as you rightly observed, if you yield to one vehicle, the rest will simply tailgate.

What I find the most irritating is when three wheelers and two wheelers ( both of which are the worst offenders in Bombay) rapidly intruding into your line, even when they see you approaching at a certain speed. What is worse and very very dangerous is when three wheelers enter your line/driving lane without bothering to look at the oncoming traffic, with the result that larger vehicles (which are difficult to control such as cars/lorries/tempos) have to brake suddenly.

I normally drive slowly and very very deliberately to make the other vehicles aware that I take my driving and theirs too, very very seriously. Sometimes it helps. And in status conscious India, if you drive an expensive vehicle, you get your way and you get less howls of protest if you follow traffic rules

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 10th January 2010 at 14:08.
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2010, 15:39   #39
BHPian

Good point Samurai.

Giving side to some vehicle in India feels like a offence. In fact car drivers like to stick to the front car so much that two wheelers also can not pass through them.

Every vehicle from left, right or from wrong side like to reach that signal first. By this they leave no place for the ongoing traffic to go. And while doing so, it results in much bigger traffic jam.
I think the general feeling is: Let me go first, please just me then all the rest, follow the traffic. Yes this is wrong way to go I know but let me go or squeeze in and rest all you follow the proper traffic rules.

Last edited by smooth : 10th January 2010 at 15:56.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote