Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th March 2016, 13:44   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
question on making u turns
Usually whenever I try to make a U turn, I wait for a gap in traffic. But sometimes, there are no gaps, and i end up gradually nudging my way into the opposite side. This gets me a lot of dirty looks, people honking flashing, near misses with panic braking despite them seeing a while away.

Is there a better/right way?
U turn yields to straight traffic from other side, and also yields to traffic taking left turn from the right side of the crossroad if there is one. It is the turn that is lowest in the pecking order.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 14:55   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but... how long have you got?
I have time, but this is a very narrow(1.5 lane) road (velachery tambaram road) and traffic very quickly gets stuck behind me if i wait too long to turn - the turn is just after a bus stop, so most of the people who are behind me are ones who want to go straight, and they start making an infernal racket.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 14:58   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
It is the turn that is lowest in the pecking order.
And yet, such a minor technicality is entirely lost to the Indian driving population.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 16:30   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I have time, but this is a very narrow(1.5 lane) road (velachery tambaram road) and traffic very quickly gets stuck behind me if i wait too long to turn - the turn is just after a bus stop, so most of the people who are behind me are ones who want to go straight, and they start making an infernal racket.
Hate to say this, but after hearing the traffic situation (narrow road, busy traffic, bus stop), this gap should be marked as no U turn by the traffic guards.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 23:42   #305
BHPian

Default Your mistakes on Road

Hello all, I just wanted to create a thread on mistakes committed by us while on road. I don't know if such a thread exists but anyways I want to confess my mistakes on road. So here they are:

1) When I was driving, my right rear view mirror touched the opposite guy's mirror! Actually that road on that day had been narrowed by vehicles parked on one side & a cement mixer truck on the other. So the two of us slowly came very close to each other & the mirrors got hit.

2) I was in my car standing at an intersection on the second row waiting for the front guys to move. One was a car guy in front of me & the other was a auto wallah beside the car & slightly on my front right. As soon as the car moved, I moved my car but since the auto didn't move, I hit him from back before I applied the brakes.

I regret making these two mistakes & feel like I'm not a good driver as I think myself to be. So I request you guys to share your mistakes while on road so that I can learn from your mistakes.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 00:34   #306
BHPian

Default Re: Your mistakes on Road

You should properly search whether similar thread(s) exists before starting a new one. It's worth investing a few minutes in order to search for appropriate thread rather than creating a new one. We are the only ones who have to maintain the quality of the forum. In a single go I was able to search for few similar threads.

@Mods : please merge this thread as similar threads already exists.

Regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 07:19   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Hello all, I just wanted to create a thread on mistakes committed by us while on road.
No offence buddy, please do search before creating a new thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...kes-avoid.html (Driving Guide : Rules, Tips, Etiquette & Common Mistakes To Avoid)

This thread is the right one to get your posts moved too.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 08:19   #308
Senior - BHPian

I am afraid I was not able to get a picture due to my phone running out of battery, but Hero Motocorp appears to have tied up with at least one RTO I was visiting yesterday (Electronic City, Bangalore), and erected huge, informative boards about safe driving.

One board was about why you should wear a helmet - they didn't just say "helmets help prevent brain injury", they added that brain injuries can cause paralysis, speech and memory loss, death etc.

The other board was a set of tips on driving at night, in fog and on hills.

Each topic above had about ten tips each with sound and practical information

The hill driving sign had instructions like yield to uphill traffic, honk at curves, avoid distractions like stereos on hill roads .. more importantly, "hill driving is for experienced drivers".

The fog and rain sections had good detail on when to use high beam, fog lamps and when to use low beam, using the car heater to improve visibility, driving in the middle of the road as water can pool at the sides, care about speed and braking distance on wet roads etc.

Congratulations to both the RTO and to Hero Motocorp. If some BHPian lives anywhere near Bannerghatta Road (which is where RTO Electronic City is, nowhere near Electronic City at all) please swing by and post photos.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 12:29   #309
BHPian

I had got a safe driving booklet from Skoda with one of the auto magazines and it had some useful tips.

One that has always stuck to me ensures I am really careful driving on highways especially at night. They asked a simple question - " have you ever seen a truck driver wearing spectacles?"

I can't recall truck drivers wearing specs and statistically many of them are likely to have less than 100% eyesight. Coupled with long hours they drive and general aggressive driving styles you need to add that extra safety buffer driving around trucks (and even buses)
neeravnaik is offline   Reply With Quote