Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th January 2010, 10:00   #31
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

If there is enough space, reverse ur car so that it is at an angle with the front car. That way even if it rolled back and hits ur car, it will hit the bumper corner where the impact will be minimum. Obviously this will depend from car to car.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 10:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

This is very common up here in the hills.

Some guys from down in the plains just come rolling back and then move forward.
So, what you can do depends on two things. If you are driving in a small hill station, the best would be to leave a minimum distance between the vehicle ahead of you. More if the vehicle ahead is not from town.
So it gives him the much deserved rolling space. In the city, there is hardly any rolling space.

Two, if you are in a Jeep with iron bumpers. Need I say more.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 23:41   #33
BHPian

I once was waiting at a traffic light in my Maruti800 when a 2 wheeler next to me motioned to me and indicated that my car was rolling back. I had to stomp the brakes harder!
Lesson: Get the attention of a 2 wheeler rider if needed to pass the message.

Another time I noticed a wagon R (why are all these wagonRs!!!) rolling back in a traffic stop. The poor fellow behind him honked like crazy! the dude in the wagonR simply put his hand out and abused the chap behind him not realising why he was honking!!
Lesson: Duh!!!
At the next signal I was driving behind the WagonR and simply switched lanes to avoid problems.
Lesson: Always learn from other peoples ordeals and trials!!

These incidents were on Chennai main roads and probably on a very small incline caused a slow roll that the drivers (me included) did not realise.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 23:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Carry a couple of bricks along with you wherever you go.

Once you know that the car ahead is rolling back, run and place the bricks on the path of its wheels

If that is not possible, hurl it on the car
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 06:41   #35
BHPian

Default Rolling backwards at slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
If there is enough space, reverse ur car so that it is at an angle with the front car. That way even if it rolled back and hits ur car, it will hit the bumper corner where the impact will be minimum. Obviously this will depend from car to car.
Another way is, honk, wave, bang etc and if all fails, finally wait till the the othe vehicle almost touchs your vehicle and then you also move backward slowly to minimize the impact then you brake so the other vehicle also stops. You can minimize the damage considerably if not altogether.
sudharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 08:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

^^ What if there is another vehicle too close behind you. Then you end up with minor scratches in front as well as at the back. Bumper prize double dhamaka!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 08:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

As posted Earlier , Vehicle Rolling Back Warning Signs Must be posted at Gradients in Cities Especially Near Street intersections,Traffic Signals(in nature,some cities are having steep roads?).while ,at Hill Stations ,Most of them are aware of the vehicle rolling back issue and are careful involuntarily -Just My Perception.

Mean time ,check out this "Torotrak TORC™ " (although meant for off-road):
This feature sure helps!
Quote:
Anti-roll back

Any time during normal driving this feature can be engaged, or it can be installed in a vehicle as an automatic feature. With anti-roll back engaged, regardless of incline, the vehicle will not roll back as the driver releases the brake or takes his foot off the accelerator. This provides ease of operation with built in safety.
Torotrak | IVT technology | Total Off Road Control (TORC)
I mean ,this kind of tech are good for drivers;mass implementation is impractical.

Last edited by deepclutch : 16th January 2010 at 08:32.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 08:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

^^Why not educated everyone to pull the handbrakes at signals. Would reduce much/all of the fuss. Period.
Old 16th January 2010, 08:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
What happened to me yesterday happened to me for the third time in my life. A car (Wagon R, in this case) which had stopped ahead of me at a traffic signal, started rolling back towards my Scorpio (I was a couple of metres behind), as we were on a slope.
I sat on my horn, to alert him, but to no avail. To my horror, he kept rolling back until I heard the dreaded "Crrrunch !! The visibly shaken driver got down to check the damage, fortunately for us there was not much. He did apologise, though.

What do you do when the vehicle ahead of you begins to roll back (apart from sitting on your horn, that is).

a. Start reversing your car too.
b. Move your car ahead to stop his (yet gentle) rollback in time.
c. Shout at your loudest.
d. Carry small pebbles in your car to throw at his car to alert him!

Expert opinion solicited!
When i was learning driving in Bangalore, the same happened to me. we were at signal and while trying to move, our car rolled back and hit a new maruti that stopped behind us. luckily not even a scratch on the black bumpers of the maruti and so we escaped after my driver apologized in Kannada
arunsasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 08:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

I guess, enough discussions has happened on this thread on all the possibile things to be done.
Dont think there is anything left to be discussed on this topic anymore
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 22:04   #41
BHPian

Well this actually happened to me last week, driving to my home from college, Geeta colony bridge crossing(just before the Raj Ghat crossing).I am second on the light, one uncle in Wagon-R was arguing with the co-passenger and the car started to roll back.

The gap was adequate, around 7-8 feet and an auto on my left. I honked once, twice, thrice and the car didnt stop, then I started frantically started non-stop honking with flashing lights as well, that also didnt help he finally banged on my car and scratched the auto as well. Gave him a stern look and he didnt even move his car. I honked him to move his car, he acted as if he didnt listen. I mean how much shameless can people be.

Damage to my car, thankfully none the bull bar in the front didnt have any scratch.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 23:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

^^I'm surprised, the auto fella didn't react ?
Old 18th January 2010, 07:26   #43
BHPian

He expected me to come out create a ruckus(being young) and he would support me, I expected him to do so.
He saw my face and I saw his and no one moved. Maybe because of cold.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
He saw my face and I saw his and no one moved. Maybe because of cold.
LMAO!

Still, McL's way is the best.

Keep a distance of 3-4 feet between the two cars. Honking helps...but not always.

A girl once rolled back into my car... She wasn't able to slot the gear it seems. So she decided to use my car as a backrest while she took time out to figure what the fat headed stick was for.

It was a light impact and my Zen has a lot of marks up front for me to bother fighting anymore. :P

A friend of mine while driving his Wagon R (whoops! There we go again) drove into someone's heavily modded lancer at a gas pump. I had to get down and apologize to the occupants. It turned out that our car's back had been bumped in and there was no damage to the lancer.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 11:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nothing much one can do, if the car rolling back and driver is not at all cautious even if you honking or flashing light! Because the guy may be in different world and
not aware of what is happening around. He may not be even knowing(sensing) that his car rolling back. In such circumstance a bumber to bumber hit is sure. What will be the impact of the hit and what you will do with that guy is to be decided on the spot .

Only we can be little cautious by stopping the vehicle with good gap (but then a two wheeler can suddenly come and fill up the gap?) and when you see the car is rolling back, do honk and flash the headlight, if you are lucky you will be saved, otherwise curse your badluck ?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote