Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th March 2010, 17:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Also avoid being behind old vehicles especially state transport buses and old lorries / trucks especially in an incline!!
Agree.

I have seen Bangalore BMTC buses go couple of feet backward on the incline before moving forward. This happens when vehicle is put on the first gear from neutral.

Nightmare for anyone close behind. Before one could respond, the damage would have been done.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 13:02   #62
BHPian

If the car is rolling back slowly enough, just jump out and try to stop it using your shoulder (provided its a hatch / sedan).
Or better still, walk upto the driver and tell him he's rolling back!
freak1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 07:57   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

So what do you do if the car behind you is rolling towards you ?

Happened last night, waiting at a signal. Felt a thud, looked back in the mirror to see the guy backing up. But the truck has a rear step
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hello Condor, you were lucky to be saved by the rear step ! I just removed the rear step from my Scorpio last week, since I have changed my 3rd row seating (from side facing to front facing, with the conventional middle door entry to the 3rd row). Maybe I should fit it back .

But how was the guy managing to do a back up maneuver at a signal, I wonder.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:17   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mooza, pls put it back on, or atleast a bar at the back. It may sound un-cool to have a bar there, but it really helps in such situations.

That spot has a forward slope - downwards to the signal. Looks like he forgot the hand brake or main brake & let his car roll.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Condor, I will definitely think of putting a bar. It will sure help me in the event of my rolling back, too
Old 5th April 2010, 09:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I just removed the rear step from my Scorpio last week, since I have changed my 3rd row seating (from side facing to front facing, with the conventional middle door entry to the 3rd row). Maybe I should fit it back .
You know this rear step is a real bumper saver on the scorp' . Fit it back coz it doesnt cause much harm. The only problem is when you are backing up and don't have reverse sensors installed. One wouldn't be able to judge the distance.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 5th April 2010 at 09:34.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rjstyles, the rear step wasn't looking aesthetic (at least mine didn't!). A bar will look better, I suppose, and offer better all round protection. Let me mull over this
Old 5th April 2010, 10:35   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
If the car is rolling back slowly enough, just jump out and try to stop it using your shoulder (provided its a hatch / sedan).
Or better still, walk upto the driver and tell him he's rolling back!
Or just carry two bricks for this situations in your car . As soon as you saw some car is rolling back , jump out from your car with those bricks and place them under the back tyres of that car
sanman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 11:04   #70
Senior - BHPian

@sanman18, you stole my idea about the bricks !

I have been hit by a back rolling goods auto once and the dent is still visible on my swift. Couldn't do anything other than getting a 'very sorry' apology. In Bengaluru, in the parts of the town where I live and drive mostly, its all valleys and hilly areas and it has happened a few times.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 13:41   #71
BHPian

Even i have faced with this situation, fortunately i have escaped being hit by the vehicle in front.

I always take care to stop atleast 5-6 feet from the vehicle in front, especially at intersections / traffic lights at the gradients or slopes. This way even if the guy rolls back a few inches when taking off, you are safe.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 14:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I always take care to stop atleast 5-6 feet from the vehicle in front, especially at intersections / traffic lights at the gradients or slopes.
Negative of this approach is that there will be some bikers or autos who would squeeze between the empty space.

It is funny that in our traffic, one solution opens up multiple other problems.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 15:13   #73
BHPian

@srishiva, Valleys and Hilly areas in Bangalore. You sure, Couldn't help it

Or do you mean our good speed breakers of Bangalore
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 17:59   #74
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Almost 6 months back, a bus guy rolled back and left 4 lines on my gleaming bonnet. I rubbed it, had the mechanic touch up with paint. Costed me 20 rupees. Wasn't happy yet. Now you see I Live to Drive sticker displayed promptly over those minute stcratches. I'm happy.
Luckily for me there was a truck behind which had let a larger gap and I noticed the bus rolling and could pull back a few inches. Saved me from bigger dents.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 18:14   #75
BHPian

here's what i do normaly, if its a slopy area then I make sure there is enough space between the two vehicles, and also always make it a point to let the vehicle ahead know by honking that I am behind him, that way he also know approximately how much of a distance is between the two vehicles. If you have been following the vehicle for a few minutes then most often you can make out if its a learner and hence keep even more distance. But despite all that if the vehicle starts moving backward and you yourself dont have much space to backup then there is nothing much you can do. If the vehicle ahead of you is backing up slow and if its a small one then you can try jumping out of your vehicle and try your best by whatever means to stop the vehicle. But if the vehicle is backing up too fast or is a bigger vehicle, you are better off not trying any superhero act which can result in injuries to yourself, in that case apart from the frentic panic honking , get prepared for the lound bang and crash that is inevitable.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote