Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st May 2012, 11:21   #631
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I have seen that yellow box. However they seem to be pointed the wrong direction. Does it only take pictures of your rear end?
Yes only the back of the car gets snapped since the speed trap is exactly at the point of the camera.

I think it's in the right direction. Taking a photo of a car coming towards you is not as easy as one going away.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 14:00   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

really? now three wheelers are allowed on the BETL?
Name:  _MG_6448.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  97.7 KB
Name:  _MG_6449.JPG
Views: 939
Size:  93.4 KB

this is not the first time i'm seeing this.

now, this kid gets involved in an accident/something happens to him God forbid, who's responsible?
Name:  _MG_6491.JPG
Views: 934
Size:  86.7 KB
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 14:51   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Why can't the concerned authorities erect an overhead pedestrain crossing at that place, if there is so much pedestrian movement ?

Or is it that they get a kick by blocking the IT crowd ?

Rohan

I know!
Have seen atleast 2 accidents at that place where a car had rammed into a pedestrain crossing the road. During the evening times that stretch (from the BETL exit ramp till the Silk Board flyover) is very badly/rarely lit and pedestrains just happen to run across. Because of this, after exiting the BETL, i traverse that stretch at 30-40 kmph.

Quote:
Did you check out the new back breaking humps at the Electronics City Toll Gate ?

Not sure whether these elevated humps have been erected only in the OBU lanes or it is uniform across all lanes.

Rohan
I remember seeing these humps only on the OBU lanes.
Day after day i've seen many vehicles speed through to the OBU lane and in this process, the sensor doesn't detect the OBU in the car and these idiots end up reversing their car and wasting other OBU lane users' time.

I guess because of this, the smart-asses at BETL would've come up with these back-breaking humps.

Just because some brain dead people don't have the sense to slow down and go near the OBU lane, everybody else has to suffer?
a*ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 15:31   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
really? now three wheelers are allowed on the BETL?
Like me who takes this road every weekday, I am sure you aren't surprised spotting a 3 wheeler at all!

Imagine if the 3 wheeler is denied exit at the toll gate? They have no choice but to allow him to pass with a little warning unless they make him drive in opposite direction (which so many 2 wheelers do on BETL these days).

The story is the same on Nelemangala Expressway as well where I have seen toll attendants argue with Auto drivers and finally let them after they pay up.

I think till we have toll booths located only at the exit, this practice will remain.

What irritates these days on BETL is the fact that so many Cabbies deliberately take the OBU lane and then cut across the cash lane to save a few minutes from waiting on the long queues on the cash lane.

And these are not Airport Taxis or Radio-Cabs but regular cabs associated with reputed firms in the EC area. To believe that those drivers who take on this road on a daily basis are ignorant about this would be a Joke.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th May 2012 at 15:32.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 10:41   #635
BHPian

Quote:
I think till we have toll booths located only at the exit, this practice will remain.
The toll booths will remain at the exit only for sure. Imagine the choking that might happen if they have toll booths at the entry on hosur road during peak hours

Atleast, they should have somebody who can control the kind of vehicles entering this expressway. I had seen some security like guys doing this during the early days.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 31st May 2012 at 10:45.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 11:36   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
I'm mulling of finding a different route to byepass this tollbooth; anyone who knows of a decent road to Varthur/Whitefield from Hosur that doesn't go through this tollbooth, please let me know.
How about going via ASTC Hudco, TVS Motor Factory and join at Attibele flyover ? I guess it joins Thali road.

It was pretty decent and pretty much all TVS employees take this road to reach Hosur.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 16:18   #637
Senior - BHPian

Was witness to a live accident on BETL around 3p today.
A lady driven Indica hit the divider and did a 360 blocking both lanes. The front and wheels were damaged totally. Within minutes cab drivers along with other pushed the car to the left lane.
Expect jams if the wreck is not removed. Pictures will be posted on the accident thread after a while.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 16:40   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

usually while passing through the OBU lane i check the display if it shows my car's number. this morning unfortunately i got distracted by the ruckus caused by a non-OBU car in the OBU lane and did not notice that the sensor did not detect my OBU unit. as i was exit, the boom came crashing down on the top of my windshield and bounced off!

thankfully the boom was padded, but anyways i got out of the lane (coz there was an idiot in a moon dust silver Figo honking behind me while the attendant was removing the boom so that i could pass) and parked on the side to check for damage. there was none.

removed the OBU unit and walked back to the attendant and asked him if the OBU unit needs to be flashed in front the of the sensor since it did not detect it the first time. he said there is no need for that (there was another non-OBU car in the OBU lane and he was busy trying to sort it out). i walked back and drove off.

caution: when you're nearing the speed bump near the lane, make sure your number shows on the display, else stop short of the boom and reverse or call for assistance. you don't want the boom to kiss your car - trust me

Last edited by IronH4WK : 4th June 2012 at 16:41.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 17:05   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Was witness to a live accident on BETL around 3p today.
A lady driven Indica hit the divider and did a 360 blocking both lanes. The front and wheels were damaged totally. Within minutes cab drivers along with other pushed the car to the left lane.
Expect jams if the wreck is not removed. Pictures will be posted on the accident thread after a while.
In which direction did the accident happen - Silk Board to Electronics City or Electronics City to Silk Board ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 17:09   #640
Senior - BHPian

This has happened once with me too, but luckily in my case the boom came down on the boot and no damage done. I continued driving even after the boom hit the boot as it didnt make sense to stop over there itself. As I was moving the boom skidded on the boot lid and continued it's downward journey. . Stopped a little further and checked for damage. Thanks to the padded boom, there was no damage. Now I maintain a little bit more distance between myself and the car in front to ensure if the boom has to come down, it does so before my car is within its reach.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 17:25   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In which direction did the accident happen - Silk Board to Electronics City or Electronics City to Silk Board ?

Rohan
This is on the E-city to Silk Board side just after the by lane were the Interceptor is parked.

Last edited by tharian : 4th June 2012 at 17:26. Reason: added a word
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 14:09   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

those coming towards ECity on the BETL be aware that the the Interceptor is nowadays parked at the ECity Ph I exit:

Name:  _MG_6519.JPG
Views: 791
Size:  82.7 KB
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 15:05   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
those coming towards ECity on the BETL be aware that the the Interceptor is nowadays parked at the ECity Ph I exit:

Attachment 936869
This is the scene since more than a month now. I was stopped once around 2pm for "overspeeding" and have written a complete story on how I was fined wrongly for this and later escalated matter with BTP on their Facebook Page and a few mails to the commissioner and finally I was called by the Inspector who asked me to come and collect Rs 300 back.

Don't you think this spot where they flag down offenders is dangerous when compared with the other safer location at the lay-bye area?

The same day when I was stopped, I was telling the Inspector on how dangerous a place it was since it was blocking almost one lane when someone is suddenly asked to stop, accidents can happen.

Co-incidentally, the constable flags down a i10 who brakes hard and a Figo rear ends the former all in front of the cops leaving damage to both the cars!!
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 19:32   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes there's an automated speed camera on both sides of the road below the BETL. The exact location is the TAFE access Skoda showroom on the centre median. You will see a big yellow box with the camera.

The speed cameras are on both sides i.e. going towards E-city as well as going towards silk board.

The flash gets activated only if you cross above 80kmph.
Saw this new sign yesterday in one of the highway pillars near Hosa road which says the speed limit is 60 KM/h. Also last week, saw interceptor vehicle in the surface road between Ecity and Hosa Road junction ( North bound Hosur Road) . So it appears that Interceptors are planning to change their action area to the surface road.

-- Wind
Attached Images

Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 21:01   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Saw this new sign yesterday in one of the highway pillars near Hosa road which says the speed limit is 60 KM/h. Also last week, saw interceptor vehicle in the surface road between Ecity and Hosa Road junction ( North bound Hosur Road) . So it appears that Interceptors are planning to change their action area to the surface road.

-- Wind
Me too saw interceptor at surface road few times since last month but never noticed this speed limit mentioned on pillar.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote