Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st May 2013, 11:39   #706
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

I drove on BETL around 10:15 and everything had been cleared up. There was a little traffic at the toll booths but that I guess must have been the residual traffic left behind from the jam and that too should have cleared by now.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 20:03   #707
BHPian

Hear a nasty accident on BETL involving an XUV, Rapid and a Wagon R; near the Silk Board side. The resultant pile-up has taken an hour of travel for a friend, request BHPians to avoid BETL for now.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 22:22   #708
Senior - BHPian

For those who use OBU from BETL here is a funny incident narrated by my friend and long time guest reader Arun TC, copy pasting his mail since it cannot be narrated better than that -

For about 2 weeks now, I've been hearing a mild intermittent beep (close to the music system) from inside my car, un-accompanied by any light / visual warning. I tried everything possible to figure out whats wrong!
Was absolutely clueless! I even thought some dust is playing around with some sensors (I am not cleaning my car frequently!). I tried speeding up and slowing down, looked for any leaks inside engine compartment, tried slamming the brakes hard at high speed, turned off the passenger airbag, turned off the music system, but nope - the beep wouldn't come on nor go off if its on! It simply had a brain of its own.

I thought of taking an appointment with service guys before the car conks off in the middle of the road! Before that, very hesitantly (with the bruised ego of a car enthusiast unable to find what's wrong with his own car) I headed to the holy grail Google and lo! behold - figured the problem:

Name:  DSC_0926.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  191.4 KB

I was grinning wide as I figured out! Its the toll sensor from BETL. Apparently that has a beeper when the battery goes really LOW! The detector at the Toll gate fails to detect due to low battery before this beeping starts - that's probably why many of us would have changed the battery first and never heard this sound before. So folks, if you already knew this, its cool, if you didn't, be it a SANTRO or a PUNTO or a 320d, this is what you need to look out for.
mpksuhas is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2014, 12:56   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For about 2 weeks now, I've been hearing a mild intermittent beep (close to the music system) from inside my car, un-accompanied by any light / visual warning.
... I headed to the holy grail Google and lo! behold - figured the problem:
There was no need to search on google, a search on team-bhp would have been sufficient.

My colleague faced the same issue, which I had posted on team-bhp.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3336795 (What's that sound?)

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 10:32   #710
Senior - BHPian

Last night around 7 pm, there was an accident at BETL: exactly at the junction where the turn to EC1 towards Hosur.

A loaded truck/mini-truck was upset at 90 degrees and a Dzire had the driver side door dented. That is what i could manage to see. Ambulances were rushing in from all directions.

Looks like the right turn to EC1 gone wrong.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 19:19   #711
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have updates on the traffic pileup on the BETL right now? Friend just went past the toll-booth and traffic is already at a standstill it seems.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:45   #712
Senior - BHPian

The BETL authority should stop allowing vehicles to enter the road if there is any blockage on the flyover in any direction. Stupid morons keep allowing the vehicles even if there IS a huge pileup. This just makes a bad situation worse.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:51   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The BETL authority should stop allowing vehicles to enter the road if there is any blockage on the flyover in any direction. Stupid morons keep allowing the vehicles even if there IS a huge pileup. This will allow faster clearing time of the jam on top
Exactly. I have seen this several times. They were doing construction and still allowed traffic causing a massive pile up.

The simple is very straightforward. The flyover is 9kms long. They should have 3 points in the flyover where the median can be removed easily. Incase there is an accident all they need to do is stop opposite side traffic then open the median just before the accident spot and allow traffic to go on opposite side.

For example, if there is an accident towards E-city from silk board, they should stop traffic from E-city side, open the median and allow cars to continue on towards E-city.

This even allows the emergency vehicles easy access to the accident spot.

The solution is right there and used in every country that has these roads still they want to earn a few bucks and put motorists at risk and inconvenience here in India.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd February 2014 at 10:53.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 09:27   #714
Senior - BHPian

BETL has stationary speed traps ?(I could be wrong) Funny looking boxes with what looked like camera holes have been put on the way to EC.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 17:43   #715
Senior - BHPian

So they've increased the prices of the monthly pass for 2 wheelers. From 500 to 530 now! But they have left the daily pass as before - Rs.25! I mean, aren't they supposed to be encouraging people to purchase monthly passes?!?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 18:04   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
So they've increased the prices of the monthly pass for 2 wheelers. From 500 to 530 now! But they have left the daily pass as before - Rs.25! I mean, aren't they supposed to be encouraging people to purchase monthly passes?!?
They have also increased one way fare for cars from 40 INR to 45 INR now. However, Day pass remains same at 65 INR.

All other vehicle categories also have to shell out more for a single ride on BETL since July 01.

Here is what the Indian Express had to say:
Quote:
There will be an increase of Rs. 5 in fares for a single trip and a daily pass. The proposed rates of a monthly pass for two-wheelers is Rs. 535, Rs. 1,335 for four-wheelers and Rs. 1,865 for mini-buses. “A single trip for a two-wheeler will now cost Rs. 20 and a daily pass Rs. 30. For cars and jeeps, it is Rs. 45 and Rs. 70, respectively,” said a BETL employee.

Though the elevated highway helps commuters avoid the congestion in areas around Silk Board, the proposed fare hike has not gone down well with many.

“They (BETL) have been increasing the fare every year when we only expect a marginal increase after four years of the highway being open,” said Rama, CEO, Electronics City Industries Association.

Maintaining that the hike should be minimal, she said the increase will be justified if BETL offers better service and reduces the waiting time for pass-holders at the toll gate.

The previous rates were Rs. 15 for a single trip for a two-wheeler and Rs. 25 for a daily pass.

For four-wheelers, it was Rs. 40 and Rs. 65 respectively and for mini-buses it was Rs. 60 and Rs. 90 respectively.
However, despite this report, Its 45 one way and 65 for day pass for cars as I am using their services to travel to work every day.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th July 2014 at 18:10.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 18:27   #717
Team-BHP Support

Shucks, I am a one way user of the BETL. I stay in Sarjapur road so use it in the morning which reduces my travel time to 20-25mins and smooth driving most of the way. On the return BETL doesn't work as the traffic till silk board and then right turn to ORR takes up too much time.

BETL authorities are really managing the flyover poorly. When there is some problem on the flyover like an accident or unprecented jam, they continue letting cars on. Why not close the flyover to reduce the chaos?

Rs.45 for one way is now Rs.5/km. On some days the silk board traffic is so bad it's piled on the BETL till garebhavepalya. Imagine paying 45 for sitting on the flyover not moving.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 18:27   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Its the toll sensor from BETL. Apparently that has a beeper when the battery goes really LOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My colleague faced the same issue, which I had posted on team-bhp.
Holy smokes. I was picking my brain for two whole days last week trying to figure out what this problem was.

Last Friday, while i was returning from a friend's wedding, the beeping sound started in my Ritz and i thought it was from the center console.

Worked all the buttons on the factory fitted music system, a/c, etc. and even turned off the headlights, switched off the car and waited by the side of the road but to no avail.

This sound came on and went off on its own free will.

The next day I called the MASS but en route the sound stopped so i thought it got resolved and may have been due to a loose connection so returned home only for the sound to re-appear the next day when i took the car out.

I also noticed that the backlight for the thermostat dial was not working and a mild knock on the plastic side panel of the dashboard lit it up. All this time I was thinking it was this issue.

Now i am positive it is the OBU. I got the OBU in Feb last year and the battery has never been changed till date. Also my route now is different and I dont use the BETL so never bothered to return it since it had no balance too.

Thanks a ton for posting this. I stumbled upon this post and am so relieved that its nothing to do with the car itself.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 18:40   #719
Team-BHP Support

Yes the OBU makes a very irritating sound once the battery is about to go low. It took me a week to figure out the beep was from the OBU and not my car!

I went a couple of weeks back but they don't have stock of batteries anymore. I asked what to do then. They said just show the receipt as they have removed the gates cause of no battery stock. So basically if the attender sees the OBU on your windshield he lets you go.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 18:47   #720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes the OBU makes a very irritating sound once the battery is about to go low. It took me a week to figure out the beep was from the OBU and not my car!

I went a couple of weeks back but they don't have stock of batteries anymore. I asked what to do then. They said just show the receipt as they have removed the gates cause of no battery stock. So basically if the attender sees the OBU on your windshield he lets you go.
i had to suffer the dead-battery-syndrome for couple of weeks. the darn thing was beeping all the while during my Goa trip! finally got the battery replaced a week or so back.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote