Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Loud / Extra Loud Music.. generally go hand in Hand with Bad Driving
Yes, it hamper driving skills 43 78.18%
No, it does not make an effect 8 14.55%
It hardly matters!!! With or Without doesnot matter. 4 7.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th January 2010, 20:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

I like to drive & listen song, however on several occassion listening to certain music loud (like MI2 OST, Gone in 60 seconds, Torque title song) has made me cranky on road. So the best way is keep them toned down, enjoy the drive, the song & the moment . But on no way I keep the music loud & glasses down, have never done & will never do it.

Last edited by aargee : 30th January 2010 at 20:24.
aargee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 13:16   #17
BHPian

One important thing is that those who put on loud music in the city go slow as they want to draw attention to themselves and their ride however puny it might be and they tend to showoff a lot. So they do not cause any accidents as such. On the highway it sets the mood for driving. It does for me.
Well I think if you have some fast music going one does tend to drive faster however I feel it is person to person dependent , 'cause I know people driving badly who listen to Indian classical music also. One cannot generalise this I feel.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 21:41   #18
BHPian

Loud music promotes agression thereby amounting to road rage and street racing mania. According to a British report based on adolescent driving, to push up more adrenalin in blood, pump up the music system, press on the throttle pedal till you see a big sound!!

I have even seen sophisticated crowd playing symphony or bhakti sangeet. In short, music when played loud will only cause more stress especially when driving bumper to bumper. Pleasant music and acceptable decibels will surely pull down driving stress making driving a good experience.
dr.faramroze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 14:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

I turn up the volume to save myself from the noise from honking and the loud exhausts of the stupid autos etc. Generally doesn't alter the way I drive.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 14:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Loud music does matter, for me volume comes down as the speedo needle climbs up!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:21   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Loud music can be disturbing. I do clean up the speakers by playing them at a notch less than full volume, but while stationary.

Reminds me of a line I read somewhere - The louder you think the music is, the older you are.

Ciao,
D
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:26   #22
BHPian

defintely affects your driving style.
when on the short drives and city traffic, a smooth music is always the best.
but on highway runs where the traffic is more scarce, a little bit of volums will not harm.
gods-envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 17:16   #23
BHPian

I find most DikChik DikChik cars rashly driven. Loud music and ultra dark tints. They'll never know what's happening outside.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 17:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Definitly yes and i beleive its proven scientifically also.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 17:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

My observation: Loud music + rolled up windows, usually with a dark tint + provocative writings/decals/graphics + visual mods = Rash driving

Most often people who play loud blaring music drive too rash. They honk endlessly, accelerate and brake too quickly.

I prefer to listen to music while driving, and usually i keep the volume at a level that doesn't hamper my hearing, especially that of horns and sirens from outside. If at all the volume is a tad higher than normal - sometimes you have to keep it a li'l high for pleasing a friend, I'd be extra cautious.
silversteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 20:52   #26
BHPian

I love music while i drive. I generally play it at a decent level, but yes, when some of my favorite tunes start playing the volume gradually increases! Loud music does affect the drivers hearing capacity, but I disagree to the fact that it causes them to make rash decisions (if the driver is mature enough). If they are 'on' something, then obviously yes. In a sober state, i don't think loud music affects a drivers judgement (i stress: IF MATURE/RESPONSIBLE).
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 23:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Listening to loud music while driving definitely hampers my driving skills when driving fast as I get too involved in the songs and can't concentrate to the best of my ability on the road.

But while cruising/driving at moderate speeds I don't mind listening to loud music(but with the windows up of course)!
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 23:14   #28
BHPian

Personally I am not concerned if there is music or not while I drive. I just enjoy that part. I didn't set up an ICE even after 1 year and 35k kms on odo as I don't miss music much while I drive and I have gone on trips with longest being 4k kms on a stretch that too alone.

But yes loud music does bother me and actually irritates me. I can bear that for a few minutes, but longer than that I feel irritated. And I have seen many friends of mine and a few others who drive more aggressively than they usually do when they have loud music playing. Another aspect that I have noticed is that people generally don't play music loud when they are alone (Just my experience). But with friends they tend to show off their skills as well as their music.
vamsi.kona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 23:16   #29
BHPian

By the way loud music doesn't just mean high volume though it is a part. Its actually the kind of music, as it has been proven that music does effect our moods and reactions.
vamsi.kona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
By the way loud music doesn't just mean high volume though it is a part. Its actually the kind of music, as it has been proven that music does effect our moods and reactions.
Spot on. People wanting to attract attention will play "dhik-chik , dhik-chik" and will have gaudily painted cars or smaller cars with loud music but college students inside who are riding their first 4 wheeler.

Soft silent music inside a car is actually soothing in the rush hour maddening traffic in cities. For me mostly driving in the mornings is some good songs to start the day. Evenings while driving home some soft songs like Ghazals set the mood.
Sometimes though when I am feeling a bit unmotivated I put on Eminem (I know it sounds ridiculous) but then I do like to hear it sometimes
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote