Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th February 2010, 08:37   #1
BHPian

Default One door closes, the other opens

The topic might seem like I am talking about some motivational stuff

I am talking about situations when someone closes the door of your car with such force that you feel, the other door will open up! (try picturing this - you might have seen this in the movie hera pheri when om puri tries to sit in the car filed with friends from his village)

The point is, some people do not know how to close a car door. My dad (who is 70 years old) had picked it up long back when he first started getting lifts in someone's car (he never owned a car). But there are a few who own cars still close it with the "big bang" when they are in my car. It is very very annoying (the more you love your car, more annoying it gets).

The right way in my opinion is to get the door to leave 2 inches gap from the body and then push it with some force (I have seen keeping 2 fingers on the door and pushing works), all kinds of doors will close decently (may be with the exception of some old ambys).

What has been your experience with regard to this, and how do you get the regular offenders to correct. Of course one has to tell them, but how. I tried telling it to my MIL once, and she felt offended.

MODS: please move this thread to appropriate location if needed
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 09:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

what about closing the bonnet?

most people bring it close to the point of contact and then sharply press it down - this sometimes causes dents plus it sends the internal locking system out of alignment!

ideal way as per what I was taught is to suspend the bonnet while closing it at about 3-4 inches height and then simply drop it so that the internal locking mechanism catches and it shuts neatly.

And tailgate?
Large Hatch/ Scorpio/ Jeep/ Bolero type tail gate - I find that very often there is a resistance and back pressure of air when Im shutting my tailgate - possibly because the rest of the car is closed. Therefore I bring the tailgate close- say about 6-8 inches from the point of closure and then shut it firmly with one sharp movement. It shuts neatly with the locking mechanism catching it perfectly.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 12:21   #3
BHPian

Different cars require different force to close the doors. That's one reason why some people use excessive force to close the doors, to be on the safer side.

For my i10, I generally bring the door about 6 inches from the body and then pull it in. It gives a sufficient thud and no excessive bang.

Similarly, for the hatch door of my i10, I pull it down to a distance of about 6 inches from the body and give it a gently push, it clicks in place.

But I have seen many people (mostly Maruti owners) who bang down the hatch door with a lot of pressure. No offence meant to Maruti owners, my father owns one too and it hurts me to see him bang down the hatch door. My friend who owns a Swift does the same.

For the bonnet, just bring it down leaving about 6 inches gap from the body and drop it gently. No excessive pressure required. It really hurts to see the way most mechanics just bang the bonnet to close it.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Even the A.S.C people bang the bonnet. They do it even if the owner is right in front. Confront him, and he says, saar, this is the way to do it!!
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 12:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
what about closing the bonnet?....ideal way as per what I was taught is to suspend the bonnet while closing it at about 3-4 inches height and then simply drop it so that the internal locking mechanism catches and it shuts neatly.......
That's right. There are a few malls/cinemas here where the security guys check your bonnet as well as the boot. I usually get out and tell them to let me close the bonnet myself because they all use the pressing down method.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:15   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I get damn irritated when the security bangs down the bonnet and the boot in every mall/ multiplex. I tries getting off the car to do them myself. But the driver behind doesn't seem to appreciate. They want the vehicle in front to vanish the moment the check is done. All I do now is when I hand over the keys to the security, I ask him to treat it Pyar se.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 13:16   #7

My dad slams the door on my Indica.. the door is heavy and he is used to the light door of his santro.
So when he is alighting from th vehicle, I lean over to the passenger side and stops the door from slamming. then push it ou few inches and close it myself.

But this doesnt work when he is at the rear seats. My heart stops for a sec when I hear the slamming sound.
parampath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
What has been your experience with regard to this, and how do you get the regular offenders to correct. Of course one has to tell them, but how. I tried telling it to my MIL once, and she felt offended.
This is very true. I have tried to tell this to a few relatives and they get offended instantly. They just dont understand that you dont have to bang the door and you can gently push it for it fall into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parampath View Post
So when he is alighting from the vehicle, I lean over to the passenger side and stops the door from slamming. then push it out few inches and close it myself.
I do the same when people whom I know will bang the door are seated in front. But like you say, the rear door is at their mercy and my heart stops for a second sitting in the drivers seat hearing that loud bang.

Some methods to politely convey the same without offending the " door bangers " would really help.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:50   #9
BHPian

I have seen some people banging the door so hard that the ears of people sitting inside the car actually pop due to the change in pressure like when one sits on a rollercoaster !Also, I have a different way of closing the bonnet on my cars. First, the bonnet is gently clicked on the lock and then again gently pushed down with just enough force to lock it. I find this a more silent way of closing the bonnet What say ?

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 10th February 2010 at 14:52.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 14:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
what about closing the bonnet?

And tailgate?
This happens at the place I work, the tailgate is closed with such a bang that I and my wife (we both work in the same office) sitting in the car are moved to the core - literally! I have waited for the security guard to finish, call him to the front and tell him politely,"please close it a little carefully". After couple of such polite reminders, they remember my car and do it softly (it is easy to track my car with all the team BHP stickers). The problem arises again when a new security guy come for this duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Different cars require different force to close the doors. That's one reason why some people use excessive force to close the doors, to be on the safer side.

Rohan
That is true - but people feel ashamed or their ego is hurt (especially guys) if they are not able to close the door in one go and hence all the might! It is better to close it softly first and if it doesn't work, then increase the force especially when one is in someone else car. I have done that when I sat in my colleagues Dzire. It did not shut with the normal light force I use for all new cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
That's right. There are a few malls/cinemas here where the security guys check your bonnet as well as the boot. I usually get out and tell them to let me close the bonnet myself because they all use the pressing down method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I get damn irritated when the security bangs down the bonnet and the boot in every mall/ multiplex. I tries getting off the car to do them myself. But the driver behind doesn't seem to appreciate. They want the vehicle in front to vanish the moment the check is done. All I do now is when I hand over the keys to the security, I ask him to treat it Pyar se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
This is very true. I have tried to tell this to a few relatives and they get offended instantly. They just dont understand that you dont have to bang the door and you can gently push it for it fall into place.

Some methods to politely convey the same without offending the " door bangers " would really help.
Yeah suggestions on this will really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
I have seen some people banging the door so hard that the ears of people sitting inside the car actually pop due to the change in pressure like when one sits on a rollercoaster !Also, I have a different way of closing the bonnet on my cars. First, the bonnet is gently clicked on the lock and then again gently pushed down with just enough force to lock it. I find this a more silent way of closing the bonnet What say ?

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
I agree. This is the way I was taught to close the bonnet. Drop it from 3-4 inches above the closing position, this does not lock it - then gently push it down. By he way, I was taught to do this on my car - 2005 Zen mpfi. Does this vary from car to car?

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 10th February 2010 at 14:55.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 15:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I get damn irritated when the security bangs down the bonnet and the boot in every mall/ multiplex.
Ditto here. I don't mind getting down rather than spoiling my mood 'cause of someone banging my car

Last edited by aargee : 10th February 2010 at 15:14.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 15:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
And tailgate?
Large Hatch/ Scorpio/ Jeep/ Bolero type tail gate - I find that very often there is a resistance and back pressure of air when Im shutting my tailgate - possibly because the rest of the car is closed. Therefore I bring the tailgate close- say about 6-8 inches from the point of closure and then shut it firmly with one sharp movement. It shuts neatly with the locking mechanism catching it perfectly.
I agree. The best way to avoid this situation is to slightly open another side door, and close that after closing the tailgate. Well, I know what I'm recommending .

I wonder why this only happens with the hatch door, though.
CasperRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 18:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I agree. This is the way I was taught to close the bonnet. Drop it from 3-4 inches above the closing position, this does not lock it - then gently push it down. By he way, I was taught to do this on my car - 2005 Zen mpfi. Does this vary from car to car?
This method has worked on all the cars I tried right from the Premier Padmini to a BMW 3 series !
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 14:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is one thing I do not like and I tell them instantly that they dont need to do that. Some feels bad and some accepts the mistake, I dont care!!
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 14:58   #15
BHPian

What to say to other, even my better half has got this habbit from boarding all kinds of crappy cabs

But, being a car lover i dont relent & immediately ask "Cab hain kya???"
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote