Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 15th February 2010, 16:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Man this is very scary stuff. I never thought this would happen or a racket that is happening on the highways. It is always better to stay away from night riding if the journey is long one IMO. I know I am not spreading any good vibrations here, but it is left to individuals. Good that nothing happened to you when that freak sent a stone hurling at you
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 16:52   #17
BHPian

@shishir yes will be avoiding night driving whenever possible and stay over in mumbai and drive back the next day.But its ironic that the expressway made it possible for me to make a return journey from mumbai on the same day in the first place.
motorhead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 09:50   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While the bus denting your car is everyday stuff in Mumbai, I am absolutely shocked to hear of the stone throwing incident. It can result in one scary experience and even lead to a major accident at a 100 kph! Even more shocking is the laid back attitude of the expressway hotline representative. I have travelled innumerable times on the expressway at night and have always felt that it's a safe road. Thanks for the headsup, all the more reason to stick to daytime highway travelling in India.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Rest assured, today's workshops easily match the quality of factory paint. She'll be back as good as new.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 10:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well, the idea is to force you to stop at isolated stretches.

Once during an night drive, I stopped on an isolated stretch to attend nature's call. TN highway patrol stopped by and told me to move on. As per them, the area was not safe and had history of thefts. In fact, the police vehicle was there till I started my car and pushed off.

If at all one is driving in night/early morning, make sure not to stop at isolated places. Even if you suspect something wrong with the vehicle, keep moving until the next crowded place to inspect. Keep the vehicle is good condition to avoid the unfortunate case of being stranded.

Watch out for women/kids used as decoy.

I have heard incidents where one gang member will feign unconsciousness to draw you out, and then they will attack you. It is like feigning a hit-and-run situation.

Last edited by sbraj : 16th February 2010 at 10:20.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Such things used to happen on expressway during it's initial period of operation especially between Panvel and Lonavla. I had thought the highway police are more vigilent. But this incidence proves is it back.

i remember one such event happend with me way back in 2002. I had bought my FIAT Palio in June, learnt how to drive in august, My family (parents, wife, daughter, in-laws) were already in Pune for the diwali festival. Myself and my brother wanted to drive to pune in our new car for the first time.

I had to travel to delhi on a day trip for some business emergency.
so i took my car to the airport in the morning parked in mumbai airport parking. My brother was to join me after his project delivery at the airport and we were to drive to pune.

I took the last flight out of delhi, flight was in a long landing queue, so eventually landed at 12.00 midnight, I gave a call to my brother who used to work in Bandra at that time to start from the office towards airport and we started after fueling we left at 1 AM.

It took approx 1.5 hours to cross Panvel and hit the expressway, after some time i started driving at 110-120 KMPH for the first time in my life. i was on the right most lane as there were no vehicles. We were thrilled at the speed and were admiring the stability of the car.

Suddenly I see 4 reasonably big stones kept on the road along the width of the right most lane. There was no way i could have braked and stopped before the stones. I just let the car go and positioned the wheels between the stones car sailed throught. There was a huge thud sound.
but i was not daring to stop, just drove on. At the Toll plaza, i stopped, inspected the car (nothing had happened), informed the toll plaza security guy about the incident. he said he will send a vehicle to check. We drove on.

At hindsight i think, we were simply lucky not to crash or meet with an accident. After that incident, i always ensure that i drive along with few other vehicles if i am travelling at such holy hours. Even if it takes bit longer, it is always good to be among the fellow travellers than be isolated.

Second thing i do is i never drive at high speeds on the right most lane.
nor tailgate at high speeds.

Stick to the center lane. keep safe distance. always keep company on express way.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th February 2010 at 11:12.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 14:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

It is wiser to hook up with some like minded people at tool booths or expressway entrances to initiate a group drive. Last week on NH4 I was following a Lancer which in turn was following a Mahindra pickup. Since I was last in the chain I felt kinda safe. The best thing is a group will seldom be attacked. And if it is attacked the entire caravan runs the risk of getting looted. Having said that, there is very little one can do if the authorities are hand in glove with the criminals.
Is there any news on the success of such attacks ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 15:38   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Once during an night drive, I stopped on an isolated stretch to attend nature's call. TN highway patrol stopped by and told me to move on. As per them, the area was not safe and had history of thefts. In fact, the police vehicle was there till I started my car and pushed off.
Something similar happened to me around 6 months back, when we were coming back from Manipal. There was this isolated stretch and we(Me and my friends) stopped for some fun.. it was pitch dark. A bolero stopped with riffles facing at me (I was driving). The cops were scared too I guess I guess if we moved a lot, they would have fired.

I slowly switched on the light inside the car, so that they could see our faces which is not like terrorists They kept following us until we reached the next Naka.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 16th February 2010 at 15:39.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 16:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

I wish they had shot first and then checked if you looked like terrorists or not.
You anyways got followed till the naka so they might have suspected you guys to be one of them. Nowadays terrorists are clean shaven you know.
Old 16th February 2010, 16:39   #24
BANNED

Good that Prince_pervez is not a cop. otherwise all clean shaven guys were shot before checked
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 17:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Good that Prince_pervez is not a cop. otherwise all clean shaven guys were shot before checked
In all good humor half my family is in Mah police.
The guy in your avatar is the biggest terrorist of all times.
Old 16th February 2010, 17:56   #26
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The second incidence is particularly scary. I was under the impression that the late night attacks on the Expressway are a thing of the past.

Mods- I know you guys are doing a fantastic job in maintaining the quality of this board, but in the quest for quality, let's not lose touch with virtues like sympathy. Here's one guy, completely shaken, posting at 3:00AM at night, looking for moral support from his online community. And he gets a inline edit from the mods about leaving a space after every punctuation!

Mods, sorry if I have crossed my line, but while reading the post, this is exactly what I felt.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 19:00   #27
BHPian

Note to self: If you see a suspicious pedestrian wearing a red winter cap and a rock in hand, run over ! (just kidding)

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2010 at 11:35. Reason: Strictly NO inappropriate / abusive language please, even in indirect usage
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 19:15   #28
BHPian

Its best not to travel in night on Xways and highways..if you have to travel in night or on lonely stretches , its best to follow (or be 50 mtrs ahead) another vehicle like private buses, volvo coaches, etc.
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 11:43   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Such things used to happen on expressway during it's initial period of operation especially between Panvel and Lonavla. I had thought the highway police are more vigilent. But this incidence proves is it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The second incidence is particularly scary. I was under the impression that the late night attacks on the Expressway are a thing of the past.
There was a time when highway robbery at night was regular fare on the Panvel bypass (pre-expressway days). A school friend of my father's and his son were driving back from Pune where they had some construction projects (circa mid nineties). At about 2300 hours, and after they completed the old Mumbai-Pune highway stretch (only option at the time), the tyres of their Tata Estate went completely flat. Miscreants had placed sharp objects (including nails) on the road. With 2 (or was it 3) tyres flat, they had no option but to roll to a stop on the isolated panvel bypass. Before they could think of what to do next, an army of 10 thieves popped out of nowhere and started beating them black & blue. The son literally pleaded with the thieves to stop beating his father and take whatever they wanted. Nope, that didn't do it and they continued to trash them up. I believe the son jumped onto a passing Jeep, whose driver was so scared on seeing a blood-soaked face that he didn't stop, until they got to a cop station. They returned to the spot after about 45 minutes and this guys near-senior-citizen-father was flat on the road. If memory serves me right, he was hospitalised for a couple of months.

I guess the Nasik - Shirdi stretch was known for robbery too.

Quote:
let's not lose touch with virtues like sympathy.
We don't. But rules are rules and are only in place for the benefit of all users of this forum. Sorry, we cannot make exceptions here or anywhere else.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 15:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Many times a thought came up in my mind "what if" one finds huge stones blocking the road? i guess in this scenario presence of mind with lots of gods grace is required!

for sure the second experience was scary!

btw Star, that was a close one indeed!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote