Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 26th February 2010, 00:55   #1
BHPian

Default Hit by a bad driver in Delhi near Dwarka

I was coming home from college, was near Dwarka when I saw this Alto which had some contractor pvt. ltd. written behind it (typical business run cars in Delhi with disregard for any law), all glasses heavily tinted, driver window half open. The car was in the middle lane and I successfully overtook it on the right overtaking lane and also sounded a brief horn to let the car know.

I look towards the right side in the rear view mirror and see the Alto accelerate and also tilt towards me, to my horror I see the moron driving the car is chatting with the co-passenger (looking at him/her) and car is drifting towards me without him even paying attention to the road.

Pretty soon, his car hit my car. And that’s when he finally looked onto the road. Realising that a lapse in his concentration caused the accident, he decided to run like a little girl. He accelerated the car to full (I knew we have speed breakers and a super long red light ahead), so I followed slowly and finally I see him heading towards the red light with full speed. Thankfully all the lanes were blocked otherwise he would have skipped the light and probably got himself killed.

At the light, I was unable to control myself and asked him to step out and inspect the damage on my car which includes a moderate scar and multiple scratches from his bumper and fender.

He knew it was his mistake and apologised, I told him that I know he was not looking onto the road and was talking to the co-passenger next to him.

He didnt deny and said “Main sorry keh raha hun” , he called the damage on my flawless paint till now ‘minor’.

Anyway, I told him to drive carefully in the future as he is responsible for others’ safety also on the roads. Dont know if anything registered into his head or not. I told him he could have killed someone had it been a motorcycle instead of a car he had hit. A moral lecture was all I could give, he ignored the end of it and went back inside his car. People around me were looking at me strangely.

I was a little shaken by the incident, I mean even if you drive absolutely perfectly, there are people who might hit and consequently injure you and your vehicle. All this goes down to the super corrupt RTO and licensing department of Delhi state.

The road tests are not even conducted for people who come through agents. I remember at my road test, an agent was talking about how approach can skip the road test. since I drive well, I decided to do the test and ofcourse cleared it. I had also cleared my learner’s license test in 1st go.

I wanted the experience of BHPians on my handling of the incident, I am not too sure about how I handled it. I am a young driver (1.5 years only on license) but ensure I follow all rules. This is the first time someone has hit my car in motion and am shaken up :(
f1head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 02:08   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sad. You should have got compensated for the damage you suffered from the other person. A mere sorry let him off the hook there.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 04:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think you handled the problem pretty well. Why didn't you ask for compensation?
Anand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 08:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Sad. You should have got compensated for the damage you suffered from the other person. A mere sorry let him off the hook there.
+1.
Not that the money can cause you relief or help compensate for the damages; a mere lecture will help him commit more & more such offense; however when he loses money, he'll understand that he shouldn't do it; I used to do the same what you do; now days I never let them go unless I'm paid & during the weekends I donate that money to temple; Also making him stay over the road for quite sometime & paying money will help him remember this incident for quite sometime than letting him go.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 10:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think you handled it pretty well. Now buy some Formula 1 Scratch remover & try to get the damage off.

To be honest, I'm surprised the bugger actually acknowledged that it was his fault & apologized - most times, the vermin would try & take the aggressive way out. And these days, in the NCR, its best to avoid getting into a confrontation as you never know whether the guy is packing a firearm.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 11:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Suman, he knew there was a mistake from his side. Main thing is @f1head went down to him near the signal and asked him to come out. Seeing that he was shocked and he couldn't speak or else if this had happened by any cabbie, then I think the case would have been reversed.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 11:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
@Suman, he knew there was a mistake from his side.
Shishir, you should spend a week here to see the kind of responses that you'd get from them even when they know they are at fault
Old 26th February 2010, 12:10   #8
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies, makes me feel a little better. Just got a super scolding from dad regarding the damage but he was a little calm when I explained to him how I got it , didn't know it was his daily ritual to inspect the car and see if there was any damage

About the compensation, to tell you the truth, when I went upto his car , I was also scared of going upto him. The only thing that gave me courage was the damage to my car and the fact that he had tried to run away so fast that I knew he knew he should have been looking on the road. I was alone in the car and he had a co-passenger and plus he looked like he was a contractor type worker class person, so did not want to prolong the incident.

As Suman sir mentioned, you really dont know if the person in the other car has a gun under his shirt. I also had some holi colour on me from my collegemates, I think that helped scare him a little :P

Will take some rubbing compound to the car and see if they go out. Thanks once again for your support.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not that the money can cause you relief or help compensate for the damages; a mere lecture will help him commit more & more such offense; however when he loses money, he'll understand that he shouldn't do it; I used to do the same what you do; now days I never let them go unless I'm paid & during the weekends I donate that money to temple; Also making him stay over the road for quite sometime & paying money will help him remember this incident for quite sometime than letting him go.
+1

The offender should pay-up for the damages caused by their stupidity, and it will be a deterrent for the future.
But, as Suman suggested, we should be careful in places like NCR...

Last edited by finneyp : 26th February 2010 at 12:20.
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 14:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And these days, in the NCR, its best to avoid getting into a confrontation as you never know whether the guy is packing a firearm.
Boy!!! I cannot imagine ppl could point you even for such silly things!!! But again Suman knows better as f1head & suman are from the same place. Is it possible someone could open up a firearm for such silly stuff? I mean, not thinking about the consequences; even if he/she can get away with law, but atleast dealing with cops, running to court in weekdays, paying the lawyer are still hassles.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boy!!! I cannot imagine ppl could point you even for such silly things!!! But again Suman knows better as f1head & suman are from the same place. Is it possible someone could open up a firearm for such silly stuff? I mean, not thinking about the consequences; even if he/she can get away with law, but atleast dealing with cops, running to court in weekdays, paying the lawyer are still hassles.
when for silly reasons people are killing each other. So it doesn't make any difference for those having that mindset. They can do anything and anywhere and run. It all depends on your luck on that day
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible someone could open up a firearm for such silly stuff? I mean, not thinking about the consequences; even if he/she can get away with law, but atleast dealing with cops, running to court in weekdays, paying the lawyer are still hassles.
You should read newspaper articles on Road Rage in the NCR; trust me, most of them are for very trivial things, quite a few of them start off with one car scraping/scratching another.

Here's a recent one -
Noida road rage: Driver stabbed, man beaten - Delhi - City - The Times of India

And it only gets worse when some of these guys are drunk.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Boy!!! I cannot imagine ppl could point you even for such silly things!!! ......Is it possible someone could open up a firearm for such silly stuff?........
Well, I am sure it isn't common but neither is it impossible in Delhi. Have been told by two different Delhiites about a driver/passenger in a car displaying a gun and making threatening gestures because he felt the car in front was not giving way to him to overtake.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
These days one can never be sure especially with the NCR attracting all kinds of people. There are cases where people were shot because they didnt move on a red light. No offence to anyone, but the business class (shopkeepers, contractors) community is the one I am afraid of the most. The working class (mid level govt. servants) is by far the best community.

My cousin sister was verbally abused by some guys in a Merc. in Gurgaon when she didnt give way to them in bumper to bumper traffic, they talked like they were illiterate, she called the police at 100. The police came swiftly as it was a woman complaint, the policemen themselves admitted that these guys have sold acres of plots to big realty firms in Gurgaon and suddenly from not having even three square meals , are now crorepatis. This was the thing the policemen actually said.

The senior officer (Inspector of station) suggested my sister not to complain as these guys have no fear or respect of law and complaints against these people lead to violence as thats the only way they know to solve problems. Easy money is the thing that leads to such behaviour. They also told her that if something like this happens in the future, she should not do anything but enter the nearest police station or police post with her car.

When I confronted that guy, I was afraid that he could be a criminal, in which case it wouldnt matter to him anyway if he shot me.

Last edited by f1head : 26th February 2010 at 15:13.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post

When I confronted that guy, I was afraid that he could be a criminal, in which case it wouldnt matter to him anyway if he shot me.

I absolutely agree with you, same happened with me as I was driving near Pragati maidan & asked for side by giving dipper & horn but to no avail. After a lot nagging i finally got the side & thought may be i should also ask this guy as in what is the issue. There were two guys in a Indica & they say straight away "NAHI DETE JA , KYA KAREGA ?" ( we will not give side what can you do). Now at this point you have 2 options & we all as civilised & sensible human being will choose the 2nd.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote