Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th March 2010, 13:52   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
then where to use high-beam? i presume you are saying we should not use high-beam when there is an on-coming traffic, is it?

OT--sad to see that in a place like Hyd. riders are allowed to go lid-less
Took it off a DMV site. This should hold good here too.

Do not blind other drivers with your high beam headlights. Dim your lights to low beams within 500 feet of a vehicle coming toward you. If you are following another vehicle, change to low beams within 300 feet. Use your high beams whenever possible as long as it is not illegal (i.e., in open country or on dark city streets).
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 11:22   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Road Dividers - a major cause of accidents

23-year-old killed as car hits divider in Hauz Khas, overturns

Not wearing a seat belt cost a 23-year-old man his life, after the car he was driving hit a divider, turned turtle and was dragged 20 metres early on Friday morning.

Ramneet Singh, the son of a businessman, was travelling in the Toyota Corolla Altis with a friend, Neha Bindra, who was wearing a seat belt, and sustained minor injuries.

Am posting the link for the article in this thread. Am all for the dividers I do not know what is worse - Drivers or bad signs in the roads or both? In this particular case, the driver is at fault on 2 counts: For speeding @ 150 kmph and for not wearing seatbelt. The passenger literally walked away from the accident.

23-year-old killed as car hits divider in Hauz Khas, overturns - Indian Express
aaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 11:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
American freeways do not use a divider. They use a wide and shallow ditch to separate the two sides.
Largely yes. But there are several highways with dividers in US. Usually of white concrete. There is nothing wrong with properly marked dividers, many western countries have them.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 14th April 2012 at 11:38.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 16:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Largely yes. But there are several highways with dividers in US. Usually of white concrete. There is nothing wrong with properly marked dividers, many western countries have them.
Most freeways in urban limits in the cities I have been in the US have dividers and not the ditches between opposite traffic. However in the rural areas where there is no paucity of land, there is usually the ditch separating opposite traffic.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Most freeways in urban limits in the cities I have been in the US have dividers and not the ditches between opposite traffic. However in the rural areas where there is no paucity of land, there is usually the ditch separating opposite traffic.
Yes, that is what I was saying. RT 1, 27 in NJ, US101 in California etc ...
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:27   #36
BHPian

Dividers, when properly marked or illuminated, are a boon. I have seen hundreds - yes, hundreds - of vehicles which hit a divider. Almost every time these dividers are not visible if there is oncoming traffic.

A divider should start at a height so as to not to miss it. One simple remedy for the invisibility of the divider at the start of town/village is to place a butterfly light at the start of the divider.

Shrubs may encourage driving without dipping the lights but there are not many 'dippers' left. So shrubs are the best idea at present.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote