Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th May 2010, 13:22   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

See the other side of chauffeurs & Nano's : the driver cant screw up much, can he ? The whole car costs less than 2. Most drivers I have seen dont use the cars well, like we would - such cars wear out much faster. So, doesnt it actually make sense to have chauffeur driven Nano's ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 13:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

I hope this incident will make you atleast a smile that happened sometimes during January this year. I was waiting in the right most lane to take a right turn in my car along with my Son. When ensured I'm not disrupting the traffic, I started moving my car & boom from somewhere a Pulsar jumped in & rammed on to my left tyre, his bike on the front bumper & he fell down. I parked my car to the adjourning footpath, switched off the car, left my son in & kept the glass half opened. Meanwhile this biker gets up & comes to me charging up & tells me that I haven't seen the bike coming & I was careless & he was coming only in 40. I calmly tell him that I'm calling the cops & let them decide what happened; picked up my cell phone & called. Here's the conversation...
Me: Good evening sir
Other side(Os): Tell me da
Me: Sir, are you around Anna Nagar or outside
Me: Yes, sir, some problem around, can you come down here?
Me: Yes, sir at Anna Nagar 13th main road
Me: Yes sir, I know
Me: No sir
Me: Ok, sir, pls come, we will be waiting
Me: Yes sir, the bike number is TN....
Os: I didn't understand. What's going on? What is that bike number?
Me: Ok sir. Thanks & phone call disconnected.
Now I tell this biker that we wait here & the CI is coming. Now this guy is terrified & says, "you're all big shots & can do whatever you want. Pls let me go sir, I agree its my mistake & this is my relative's bike". After 20 more minutes of plead & forgiveness, I left home with Rs 380; a week later this money was donated to a temple.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

LOL, I'm sure you got the idea from the Virgin Ad

Last edited by Dippy : 10th May 2010 at 14:30. Reason: Hi. Please avoid quoting a long post when replying to a thread.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:40   #64
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Lol. That's a real cool gimmick there aargee. Sometimes these bikers are terrible. Thank god you didn't have a mob supporting him. Else the crowd wouldn't bother even if you were calling a real CI.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 15:52   #65
BHPian

This incedent happned about 15 years back to me.

It was year 1995-96 just started my career working fo a engineering industry and my dad got me a new Bajaj Chetak scooter (blue colour) for my use. The day i picked up the scooter from showroom i showed it to my parents and after usual pooja for it in a temple i deceided to treat my friend that night. So we went out..got drunk and went to night show to rajinikanth movie which just got released. The theater was so croweded and as we entered the main gate with my new scooter an amby car hit my scooter on the right door and dent it badly. After a short quarrel i did not have a choice but to park it in a parking lot of the theater and go for the movie. I was so scared about my dad and was thinking what to do?
Just when i parked the scotter i saw one more new bajaj scooter parked close to my scooter and came up with the idea to swap the doors. So i went ahed with the plan and before the movie was over we both went to the parking lot...it was pitch black and within seconds we swaped the right doors and went home.
The next day morning my dad woke me up and told me to have a look at the scooter. i casually went and saw the scooter which was parked in front of my house and had a shock of my life...my entire scooter was blue and the right door was green
Actually we were so badly drunk we swaped the doors and did not check the colour of the other scooter properly in the night...

I know what i did was not correct...but will always have a smile when i think of this incedent and also the other guy's scooter who would have had a green scooter and a blue right door the next day
shailu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 15:53   #66
BHPian

That was a cool move aargee - Great way to handle it without any sweat.
bbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 17:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailu View Post
an amby car hit my scooter on the right door
I thought you wrote this by mistake, how on earth would a scooter have a door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailu View Post
one more new bajaj scooter parked close to my scooter and came up with the idea to swap the doors.
Then when i read this, i understand wht you refer to as doors.

The incedance was not very amusing but the doors were

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 17:33   #68
Senior - BHPian

@Milecruncher, Well, I'm not aware of that ad, if there's one in Youtube, could you point to me pls?
@MX6 - Oh!!! absolutely nothing to worry, the mob was there, but when I immediately started calling the cops & started using the words like "yes sir" etc, all of them withdrew eventually. If you can remember the recent incident on ripping my WagonR's rear end (on Rajushank's thread of truck hitting & running away), the same thing happened; the mob started charging me, I was cool, called up 100 & started telling him about several laws & road rules that are slightly related, demanded his owners number to me & gradually one or two from the mob approached me softly & requested to leave this incident.
@bbkp - I was cool enough, which is still a surprise to me till date. To be frank, I actually called up one of our classmates who is an SI & he didn't pickup the phone. Hence I tried calling another common friend of ours & something sparked my brain that did the trick. But wouldn't do that again, if the same person agreed to come to police station, I would've had to run to Flower bazzar to file a case with Traffic Investigation Dept.

Trust me, when I hit someone by mistake, I would immediately file an FIR, even if the other party refuses. It helps me to safe guard myself.

Last edited by aargee : 10th May 2010 at 17:34.
Old 10th May 2010, 17:43   #69
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Having friends as SI helps. Sadly in Pune, almost any bugger on the road claims to work for some party! nowadays things are degenerating to such a level, I'm thinking of selling of my car and buying a tractor!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 17:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Milecruncher, Well, I'm not aware of that ad, if there's one in Youtube, could you point to me pls?
This is the one I'm talking about Came out sometime in 2008 IIRC
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 20:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Oh!!! ok Thanks for the link @Milecruncher; I'm seeing this ad for first time.

Quote:
I'm thinking of selling of my car and buying a tractor!
You mean the old diesel Indica ?

Ok, here's another incident, I doubt to have anything humour in it. But, it was an eye opener for me. Why? Read on...

Way back in 1997, I'd Max100 & those were my proud moments of owning a bike, just after college, a good job & a bike. So one day I was coming as usual from the office on the usual road which is not a main road. There was a boy in teens standing almost in the midde of the road. He stared at me, my bike & he stood still & never bothered to move. My blood boiled thinking how dares he block my way? I went straight & hit him with my bike & only when falling down did I realize that when you hit someone with a bike you'll also fall down!!! Now the usual scene happened, everyone came rushing up from nowhere & were asking what happened & my hands were trembling. So someone asked me "What happened sir" & I couldn't speak due to fear & guilt. Someone in the crowd replied, "sir was coming OK, the boy jumped in between". Having heared that, the next thing I wanted to do from there is - Escape. I leave the next scenes to you imagination. However I came home with a broken headlights.

Last edited by aargee : 10th May 2010 at 20:15.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:24   #72
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That is not a nice thing to do. Hitting a boy in teens with your bike is not a good thing to do at all. Anything could have gone wrong. Very churlish on your part.
Anyway, it's 13 years. Pray the guy doesn't grow up to be a north chennai don searching for you who hit him 13 years back to exact revenge.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 22:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

The year was late 1983. I had joined my employer as a trainee at Tuticorin, was making do on a princely stipend of Rs 450.00 a month, so no vehicle of my own as yet. A famous annual basketball tournement was being held at Madura Coats courts and the shield was courtesy my employer. A friend, Mr.Ramaswamy was a regular employee then and had a Lambretta scooter. He had two tickets for the day's match, invited me for the same to be followed by a free dinner, so I tagged along on the pillion. We enjoyed the match hugely, then came out at 9.30 PM. I was ravenously hungry and was eager for the dinner.

My friend was in no hurry to take the scooter from the parking lot and kept on chatting me up. I was hungry as only the very young and carefree souls can be, and was getting impatient for the dinner. At one point I blurted out I was hungry and told him to get the scooter pronto! Now he was genuinely embarrassed and told me the truth. His scooter had broken down and he had borrowed an identical one from a friend. He just remembered it was a green Lambretta scooter and did not remember the number. As there were a lot of identical scooters there (remember, the 100 cc bikes had not entered the scene and all scooters were either Bajaj/Lamby/Vijai), he was waiting for everyone to take their scooters out, so that he could take the remaining one! I could not believe my ears and asked him if he did not notice at least some landmark/ marker while parking the scooter.

An even more embarrassed silence followed, and he replied "yes, I did. There was a brown dog lying in front of the scooter when I parked"! I forgot even my hunger, I was laughing so much!

Oh my, where is the innocence now, and where have all the years gone!
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 22:21   #74
BHPian

@Gansan: HILARIOUS!!! ROFL!
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 11:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

My friend was in no hurry to take the scooter from the parking lot and kept on chatting me up. I was hungry as only the very young and carefree souls can be, and was getting impatient for the dinner. At one point I blurted out I was hungry and told him to get the scooter pronto! Now he was genuinely embarrassed and told me the truth. His scooter had broken down and he had borrowed an identical one from a friend. He just remembered it was a green Lambretta scooter and did not remember the number. As there were a lot of identical scooters there (remember, the 100 cc bikes had not entered the scene and all scooters were either Bajaj/Lamby/Vijai), he was waiting for everyone to take their scooters out, so that he could take the remaining one! I could not believe my ears and asked him if he did not notice at least some landmark/ marker while parking the scooter.

An even more embarrassed silence followed, and he replied "yes, I did. There was a brown dog lying in front of the scooter when I parked"! I forgot even my hunger, I was laughing so much!

Oh my, where is the innocence now, and where have all the years gone!
Your friend sounds just like me.
vennarbank is offline   Reply With Quote