Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:27   #31
BHPian
 
couswheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 215
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

I did experience this on NH533 Rameshwaram - Trichy bypass which is a two lane. On a Sunday afternoon some moron came in the middle of a highway from where I have to swerve to my right to avoid hitting him. Definitely he did not get into middle of the road after eating rice and was straight from a liquor shop which was on the highway. The guy could not balance himself and was walking in a zig zag manner and finally fell on the Middle of the road. Luckily there weren't heavy traffic and was pulled to road shoulders by the locals. The comparison of rice and liquor is unwarranted.
couswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:39   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I think it's high time people stop asking for more restrictions from the government, liquor is a legal, if heavily regulated industry. Just because some people lack self control we needn't agitate to have cops get even more unrestricted access to our cars to check for drunken driving.
Correct, what is required on the other hand is better checking on the highways.

I have seen many times that the traffic police fellow have drunk driving checks at night just near the places which are the usual drinking holes (in the cities).

The same should be done on these highways.
Oh but then there is a counter point - all traffic will have to be stopped to check. That will reduce the speed of the highway.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:42   #33
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 647
Thanked: 614 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I think you have got a blind spot or something.
Man, rice and liquor! How can you even fathom this comparison? Food isn't liquor and vice versa. Food can make you drowsy but it doesn't affect your sensory ability to judge or react. Do you even understand what is intoxication?
What's the purpose of selling liquor on highways?
There is a reason for which tobacco shops are not allowed near schools and colleges. To make access difficult. Same is the reason why court ordered relocation of all liquor shops from NH 1. Drunk driving is a real menace and while it is not possible to fine each drunk driver but at least access can be made slightly more difficult.

I certainly wouldn't like heavily drunk guys driving in proximity of my car.

Dear mods, this is a highly irresponsible post by one of our members.
Here is a simple comparison, a drunk driver loses control rams into an oncoming vehicle, a driver falls asleep after a heavy lunch and goes head on into an oncoming vehicle, sleep or intoxication won't make a difference to the people at the receiving end. What kind of judgement does a sleepy driver make that puts it way ahead of a drunk driver, if you doze of for two seconds at 80kmph thats 45 metres. I know the difference between intoxication and sleep, does getting run over by a sleepy driver reduce the pain? There is a thin line between drowsy and sleep flash(look this up).

I posted about regulations getting out of hand, you didn't get what I said and then ask the mods to delete my post. I have not asked people to drink and drive, just airing my disapproval of more restrictions.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd March 2015 at 13:50. Reason: The quoted post has been edited. Thanks.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:53   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 151
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Correct, what is required on the other hand is better checking on the highways.

I have seen many times that the traffic police fellow have drunk driving checks at night just near the places which are the usual drinking holes (in the cities).

The same should be done on these highways.
Oh but then there is a counter point - all traffic will have to be stopped to check. That will reduce the speed of the highway.
This is a very glib defense of a serious problem. You already know that we don't have enough police force is check on highways.

Those city holes are for parties. Are highways too for the parties?

I actually don't understand why wine shops are allowed on highways (in the middle of nowhere) in first place. That's just a loophole they are using. It should be stopped.

Even in small towns, they should be removed from plain sight on highways.
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:36   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
This is a very glib defense of a serious problem. You already know that we don't have enough police force is check on highways.

Those city holes are for parties. Are highways too for the parties?
The point is about liberties. More govt rules will only curtail the liberties.
If I have a driver who does not drink, what is the issue to the entire republic of India if I drink?

If we take your suggestion a little further, then all hotels/restaurant that have parking lots should also not offer alcoholic drinks. Even inside the cities. Since a parking lot will imply that people will come in driving their cars. And we don't want drunk drivers on the road once they exit such a place ...

Quote:
I actually don't understand why wine shops are allowed on highways (in the middle of nowhere) in first place. That's just a loophole they are using. It should be stopped.

Even in small towns, they should be removed from plain sight on highways.
The placement of wine shop is based on simple economics. There is not enough volume for "English drinks" in the hinterlands, therefore they place the shop on the highway where more affluent people visit (and consequently consume) along with the affluent people in the hinterland.

If we go by your rule, then the affluent people from the villages will have to travel all the way to urban centers to fulfill their desires.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:39   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 151
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I know the difference between intoxication and sleep, does getting run over by a sleepy driver reduce the pain? There is a thin line between drowsy and sleep flash(look this up).

I posted about regulations getting out of hand, you didn't get what I said and then ask the mods to delete my post. I have not asked people to drink and drive, just airing my disapproval of more restrictions.
Wait a minute. Aren't you saying that drunk driving is equivalent to driving after meal, when you compare rice to liquor? Then we might need stomach analyzers along with breath analyzers.
How sleep flash is relevant here, comparing to drunk driving? Sleep flash is a hazard and (heavy) meal is just one of the factors which lead to this. Sleep deprived people shouldn't drive. That's a different topic mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The point is about liberties. More govt rules will only curtail the liberties.
If I have a driver who does not drink, what is the issue to the entire republic of India if I drink?

If we take your suggestion a little further, then all hotels/restaurant that have parking lots should also not offer alcoholic drinks. Even inside the cities. Since a parking lot will imply that people will come in driving their cars. And we don't want drunk drivers on the road once they exit such a place ...

The placement of wine shop is based on simple economics. There is not enough volume for "English drinks" in the hinterlands, therefore they place the shop on the highway where more affluent people visit (and consequently consume) along with the affluent people in the hinterland.

If we go by your rule, then the affluent people from the villages will have to travel all the way to urban centers to fulfill their desires.
I think setting up liquor shops on highways with big signboards of a 'large life' is a bit of misuse of that liberty. I don't understand economic well being of liquor shop owners should be a factor in highway safety. I completely understand if they are not in plain sight, slightly off. It doesn't hurt.

I don't understand why you are misquoting me with 'my rules'. That's OT. Please stick to highway discussion.
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:35   #37
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 647
Thanked: 614 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Wait a minute. Aren't you saying that drunk driving is equivalent to driving after meal, when you compare rice to liquor? Then we might need stomach analyzers along with breath analyzers.
How sleep flash is relevant here, comparing to drunk driving? Sleep flash is a hazard and (heavy) meal is just one of the factors which lead to this. Sleep deprived people shouldn't drive. That's a different topic mate.
I think you are the kind who doesn't get a joke, if you didn't understand what I said, don't respond. I was talking about excessive regulation and extending invites for more regulation on top of the existing over the top ones we have. I wasn't talking about rice, liquor, sleep or trade licenses, just the right of people to be free of having to prove themselves innocent because a government controlled trade is set up to operate in such a way that it causes a hazard to normal people. The liquor trade is set up on highways mostly in states where the government controls the entire exercise, so its a case of who will watch the guardians.

PS No more discussion on this topic, you obviously don't comprehend what I am trying to say or said a little ealier.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:55   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 151
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I think you are the kind who doesn't get a joke, if you didn't understand what I said, don't respond. I was talking about excessive regulation and extending invites for more regulation on top of the existing over the top ones we have. I wasn't talking about rice, liquor, sleep or trade licenses, just the right of people to be free of having to prove themselves innocent because a government controlled trade is set up to operate in such a way that it causes a hazard to normal people. The liquor trade is set up on highways mostly in states where the government controls the entire exercise, so its a case of who will watch the guardians.

PS No more discussion on this topic, you obviously don't comprehend what I am trying to say or said a little ealier.
Not sure if that warranted a personal criticism. Anyway, my apologies for the pestering.

You had drawn a wrong simile with that comparison and now you somehow think it was a joke! Had it been, you would have had been clear in your second post. Besides, drunk driving is a crime. Treat it as such.

This isn't over regulation. Allowing of liquor shop setup on highways with big billboards is an oversight in the absence of a coherent road safety policy.

My actual problem is that as we are road literate folks, so we should never make loose talk on these issues.
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:10   #39
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 647
Thanked: 614 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Not sure if that warranted a personal criticism. Anyway, my apologies for the pestering.

You had drawn a wrong simile with that comparison and now you somehow think it was a joke! Had it been, you would have had been clear in your second post. Besides, drunk driving is a crime. Treat it as such.

This isn't over regulation. Allowing of liquor shop setup on highways with big billboards is an oversight in the absence of a coherent road safety policy.

My actual problem is that as we are road literate folks, so we should never make loose talk on these issues.
For the love of god, get this, i didn't draw a comparison, I said with the bit of hyperbole "where will this end?". Policies usually have a rider, especially with respect to juridisiction, I guess national highways and state policy on alcohol are at the crossroads here.

Loose talk or not, no discussion on this forum alone changes anything, we can make loose talk, it has zero consequences if people actually believed in personal responsibility.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 09:33   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,945
Thanked: 1,879 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Problem is not the alcohol shops, problem is people who drink and drive repeatedly because they know they can get away with it, change the law to reflect that if a drunk person is involved in an accident in any form as a driver, as a pedestrian he will get an automatic 20 year jail term and if he has killed he will get death penalty. If this harsh terms are placed, watch how people stop drinking and driving.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 10:17   #41
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 935
Thanked: 247 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Problem is not the alcohol shops, problem is people who drink and drive repeatedly because they know they can get away with it, change the law to reflect that if a drunk person is involved in an accident in any form as a driver, as a pedestrian he will get an automatic 20 year jail term and if he has killed he will get death penalty. If this harsh terms are placed, watch how people stop drinking and driving.
Totally agree, we cannot close down all the bars and liquor shops. People who
drink need to be educated and common sense should prevail before getting behind the wheels drunk.

The ones who want to drink will find their way, before the journey or carry it with them etc. but say if I stopped for dinner at a restaurant on the highway and decide to have a drink or two just because its available. This can be avoided if the sale of liquor is banned on highways.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 14:21   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 151
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Ban on liquor vends stays

The ban stays. The court shows more sense than some of the members.

Allowing liquor vends on highways is an example of 'misplaced' freedom. Their major revenue stream is the guys driving down the road. There are no two things about it. My hometown ( a small one) is bang on NH-1 and I am talking from what I have seen all my life. Drunk driving used to be ( may be still is) way too common and we used to hear news of accidents on highway with alarming frequency.

So, at some point in time, the court banned it on a PIL. Moving them from plain sight has helped. To a degree.

A good comparison is with US gun laws, not with rice meals. Promising a "Large Life" on highways in big and bold hoardings does more harm than good. Period.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 19:44   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 834 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Ban on liquor vends stays

The ban stays. The court shows more sense than some of the members.
.......Promising a "Large Life" on highways in big and bold hoardings does more harm than good. Period.
Atniya,

(1) You have your views and the other members have theirs, just because they dont share your point of view does not give you the right to get sarcastic.

(2) We claim to be a developing nation but our thoughts and minds are not developing. This is a case of Moral policing and IMHO is not right. just because you cant curb drunk driving does not mean you ban liquor, speaks volumes about ones competency to enforce a rule. It is a myth that because there is a wine shop on the highway the drivers will drink. The guy who wants to drink will carry the bottle with him in the absence of a wine shop... PERIOD!!

(3) you can neither equate it to a rice meal not the gun laws in the US.. they are both extreme examples and both done fit, the gun law one more so.

You can trust the people to choose a leader but you want to sit over his head and see that he does not drink. What is he, a Kindergarten school child? Our laws tend not to change because we as a country are prone to domination, introduced first by the British and now governments who come to power tend to think the same way....sad!! I think we need to give some credit to our people with very stringent laws on drunk driving and implement the laws to make a test case example instead of banning stuff...that tantamounts to shooting the messenger.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 14:17   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 880 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Ban alcohol sale on highways: Supreme Court panel

Quote:
A Supreme Court appointed panel on road safety headed by its retired judge KS Radhakrishnan has recommended ban on sale of alcohol on state and national highways to curb cases of road accidents in which nearly 1.5 lakh die every year in the country.

The report of the committee was placed on Friday before the Supreme Court which directed the states to implement the recommendation. It, however, said that banning sale of alcohol would have financial implications on the state.
Source
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 15:53   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 813
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Wine Shops on Highways- A Major Concern

Liquor outlets on highways are part of the problem, if not the only problem. Removing them from the highways reduces intake by the travellers, even if it might not completely prevent consumption, especially by truckers and the non locals.

Very strict monitoring by the police does help, especailly if one gets the taste of law.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growth from only two models is a concern: Maruti Suzuki wildon The Indian Car Scene 28 27th May 2009 17:10
CNG Santro - performance concern gaurav.28ch The Indian Car Scene 1 15th September 2008 13:00
Sony XM-ZR604 amp trips - cause for concern? rishjt In-Car Entertainment 10 29th July 2008 18:08
A few Civic causes of Concern ! Neil Brahma Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 6 6th October 2007 19:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks