Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 23rd March 2010, 22:55   #1
BHPian

Default touts on agra jaipur highway at fatehpur sikri

dear teambhpians

on a recent visit to agra and bharatpur fortunately with a hired company vehicle i came across the same practice of touts near fatehpur sikri.

the touts see the yellow and black tourist car number plate and wave and distract your attention as if something has happened and try to stop you.
it is so dangerous that one of these touts is going to be run over one of these days.

they then ask your driver "parchi katvai kya" or "tax katvai kya" i very well know that these touts force you to hire their guide services once you stop they surround your car.

my driver being a heftily built man was not afraid got down and reasoned that it was 6pm and we were not going to fatehpur sikri but proceeding to jaipur to hoodwink them.

he told its a routine here. he then cautioned that out of state private vehicles are harassed more.

can somebody enlighten me about their travails in UP before i venture out there.

pg
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 19:38   #2
BHPian

Default Re: touts on agra jaipur highway at fatehpur sikri

I know I am replying after a long time, just happen to see these comments and wanted to share my experience.

The touts you are talking about - I also encountered them during my trip to Fatehpur Sikri. I was in my own car, while I was about to enter the road leading to monument 2 of these scoundrels jumped in between the road and tried stopping my car. I was at a speed of 80 KMPH. I slowed a little, one them came infront of my car, i took right and passed him then a left and passed another one them and sped fast out of the place. I do not know what made me do that but I just sped fast until I reached the place. Later I told this to the Guide and he informed me that it is all illegal collection of money by locals from tourists who visit the monument. The logic he gave was - Since there is no other source of income except Tourism in this place hence they try all methods to pull money out of tourists visiting the place.
SinghBHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Happened to see this thread by chance. This is very alarming. Are the authorities aware of this malpractice? Is there any way of reporting this to UP Tourism or the relevant authorities?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Few years ago,in 06-or 07 I had gone to fatehpur sikri.
I got so pissed off due to the behaviour of locals,that i simply took a U turn,and returned without visiting any monument.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

And the ordeal won't end even when you reach Fatehpur Sikri.
We did not hire a guide and the whole length a little boy kept pestering us to use him as guide. The whole length!!! They do not give up.
It was so so damn irritating.

OT: When you get off at Agra then the private cab or Auto (I forget) will jump at you. He will pester you to take hire his vehicle. We being students just went ahead and sat in a shared 3 wheeler. Even after we had sat, the fellow stood by the side of the Auto and kept talking and offering his services. Till the Auto started out and left him behind.

This was in 2002. I do not know what is status now.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:59   #6
BHPian

Well it is common practice in Agra/Fatehpur-Sikri circuit.

During my trip to Fatehpur-Sikri along with my friends i also encountered a group of 5-6 guys stopping vehicle and collecting illegal toll. Since we were a groups of 7-8 guys so they didn't mess with us.

Talking about agra, the moment you park the vehicle at designated parking near Taj, so called Guides will start following you, requesting you to hire them. They would start with rate of Rs.500 and will come down Rs. 20 (sometime even for free). They make big buck by taking you to various souvenir shop and taking commission from the shops for purchase done by you. It gets so irritating that your holiday mood is spoiled. If such is our experience, I can only imagine the plight of foreign tourists.

Interestingly once we took our European client to Agra. Father of my colleague who accompanied us was office in agra police. As usual near Taj we were surrounded by many Guides, one of them kept following us till entry point. On the way we told him several times not to follow us. My friend even told him about his father, but he thought we were bluffing. When we reached at entry point, the policeman posted there recognized my friend and wished him. Seeing this the Guide vanished into thin air.
kamboj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 17:38   #7
BHPian

Recently visited Taj and Fatehpur Sikri. Had a similar experience.
At Taj, the guide did not add any value, he just told us the information which we knew. Later he insisted that we use the services of a photographer. The photographer wanted to charge 70 bucks for a single photogtaph and minimum of 20. Managed to bargain for 4 snaps at 50 + he agreeing to take the our photograph with our camera. But the guy kept on clicking with his camera and did not compose the picture same way with our camera. The guide took us to a gem factory which again was of no use.

On the way to Fatehpur Sikri, two touts jumped on our cab. The driver managed to evade them, but at parking lot we again our apporached by number of guides. They showed around the place but from information point was of no use,
I would advice other bhpians not to use any guides at either of these places
mm403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 00:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Happened to see this thread by chance. This is very alarming. Are the authorities aware of this malpractice? Is there any way of reporting this to UP Tourism or the relevant authorities?
wishful thinking

do u feel that this is not known by the CP police of the area. he knows and will pretend to take action but will not forego of his monthly hafta from this gang of looters.lesser said of the up tourism dept.
actually it is a gang from the sikri village itself so these activities are allowed to prevent a law and order problem but at what cost.
frankly these touts at fatehpur sikri belong to one particular community and enjoy political patronage this is the frank truth whether you like it or not.
its the lure of free money and not unemployment which keeps this running

praveen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
will be visiting fs in january will let everyone know if situation is the same.

regards

praveen

Last edited by Eddy : 8th November 2011 at 00:24. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote