Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st March 2010, 05:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
I suggest you come in a bit later than usual,
Well, this is not a viable option; I ride 30+ Kms one way & if I'd to come late, then I'm badly jammed up in the traffic. About 2 weeks back I tried checking at random times when this is happening & found this mostly happening after 12:00 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Isn't there another spot where you could park?
This is a good idea, I usually park in the ground floor; from today, I'll start parking at first floor allotted area.

Quote:
Or if its an option, don't take the bike to work, and notice if any other bike parked there faces the same fate every evening.
Love riding motorcycle at early in the morning in the cool breeze; also 60+ Kms everyday on car that I don't want to do. Yes, I'll start observing. My friend parks his RX next to mine & has stock RVM, I guess that is left untouched. He too is an avid fan & has clean mirrors. Anyway, I'll start noticing them from now on.

Quote:
I remember getting into a fight with a moron in college, who'd randomly walk around and use the mirrors to admire that rotten face of his.He's apply oil, and so after he'd be done combing that stinky scalp, he'd hold the mirror and re-check everything.The result, big fingerprints that smear and become very dirty when dust accumulates.
Feel like tonsuring him, so that, he no longer needs the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
And do any of your colleagues know about your mirror fetish <jus kiddin'>? Maybe someone is playing a prank on you??!
Well, I'll take this with them today; if someone's parking in that space, then it has to be my colleagues, if not, that person is choosing a wrong parking space that attracts fine. Thanks for the suggestion.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 09:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

One last chance to spot the **** who's meddling with the mirrors; I'm taking chances today to see who it is & hence have parked in the same place. Hope I find that culprit to bash today
Alternatively, I've identified another place in the basement as Nitin suggested, near the pillar (next to wall) as ph03n!x suggested.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

A lot of people coming in on bikes use the mirrors of their bike (very rarely) or the mirrors of other bikes (very often) to check and redo their hairstyle. A lot of non-bikers (cleaning boys, security staff) etc. also use the bike mirrors to check and redo their hairstyle. If you are parking in a space, where eventually it is not flanked by bikes on both the sides, your bike is a good mirror candidate for such activities. Since you keep your mirrors clean and you park it at the same spot everyday, the person(s) are attracted to it naturally. I am 100% certain this is the cause of your woes and not someone nudging your mirrors after parking their bikes.

This happens to my bike in my parking space in the apartment where I live.

Anyway for me adjusting the mirrors (which like you, I cannot do without) takes only 5-10 seconds initially and then a couple of more minor tweaks while on my way. So I am not really bothered about it.

Your wife's suggestion might work best.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 31st March 2010 at 10:24.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Biju - You're right & Thanks.
The best part of parking in the basement that I now see is, a direct supervision from 2 different securities who always sit besides our parking. Will try to post some pics tonight of old & new parking.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The best part of parking in the basement that I now see is, a direct supervision from 2 different securities who always sit besides our parking
What if they are the ones actually doing it?
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:44   #21
BHPian

As pjbiju said, people wanting to re-adjust their hair, touch up their faces should be the only reason.

I too had this problem. What I did was very simple and the problem was solved!

Instead of locking the steering turned to left (which most of us do), lock your steering keeping it turned right. If you're keeping it locked turned right, turn left and lock it.

The person will have some discomfort now. He will use some other bike's mirror.

But if he adjusts your right mirror now, there's little you can do :(
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:51   #22
BHPian

Just get the bike to a good mechanic and ask him to make the mirrors very very tight (this can be done by yourself too...), just by pulling down the cover, joining the mirror and the holding rod, and tighten the screws upto the breaking point (you have to figure this out by yourself).

This should cause the person to apply lot of force to turn the mirror, and he should be finding another bike within a couple of days.

I have done this myself and now, no mirrors turned, no matter how long my bike is parked in the basement.

Also, I agree with @para_7k, keep the handle locked in the other direction that you usually do.
rishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:51   #23
BHPian

Hey Aargee,

Yes, it is indeed an irritant to see the rear view mirror being turned out of it's position. But, let me explain you the real reason for the same and why it is always Left Hand Side and not Right Hand side.

When you park bikes too closely (which is common anywhere in the cities off late), what happens is that the mirrors keep touching the next bike / come in the small pathway that is there between 2 bikes, so invariably the person parking his / her bike next you, ends up touching the mirror and turning it - this is the most common cause - To prove that this theory is wrong, park the bike near some cars or away from the other bikes and you will be surprised.

You can also go back to your bike and adjust the position on the mirror after 30 mins of parking it there when the next bike also has rolled in and see the result for yourself.

Now, why more of LHS mirror and less of RHS mirror? To answer this question, simply look at the way the handle bar gets positioned when the bike is locked and you will have the answer - the bike is turned towards LHS and locked - so the LHS mirror is all the more closer to the bike on the LHS - while the RHS mirror is farther from the RHS bike - This probably explains why LHS mirror gets twisted more than the RHS. For a change, turn the handle towards RHS and lock it in that position for a change (some bikes lock only onto LHS) and see if it helps - Though it is going to irritate the guy on the RHS to no limit as his bike having it's LHS mirror and your RHS mirror collectively blocking the path for him.

It is not a deliberate act by anyone - Just that the mirror comes in the exit way for the biker parking next to you and they knowingly or unknowingly, twist it out of it's position.

I don't think, anything of the sort of used up McD chip bags or using super glue or sticking up notes is going to help big time in this - It is a way of life for a biker and I think apart from turning the keys, you should also learn to adjust the mirror before you engage the gears - that is what I do.

Last edited by bbkp : 31st March 2010 at 10:56. Reason: Add an additional sentence
bbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:52   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@argee, you must be pretty vexed with this .. posting at late night, early morning ..

Almost re-stating this : either trt polish on the outside of the mirror, or ...

Instead of the paper bags, try cloth bags around the mirror and tie up this with a string. I dont think the guy is obsessed with your mirrors as much as he is with his hair (or lack of it), that he will un-tie the string to use your bike's mirror to comb his hair.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:52   #25
BHPian

Just park the bike very close to the wall / pillar, so that nobody can sit on it. If you are parking in the spot where the security guard gets a good view of the basement, he might be sitting on your bike

I think it's not a deliberate act.
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Instead of locking the steering turned to left (which most of us do), lock your steering keeping it turned right. If you're keeping it locked turned right, turn left and lock it.
Not possible here - mine is RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
What if they are the ones actually doing it?
If the mirrors are tilted even after shifting to the basement, it is either someone or the securities. The securities at the basement are seated just about 10-15 foot of our allotted parking lot. So, if they give reasons, then its them, if not they can identify the person who does it. Right?

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
Just park the bike very close to the wall / pillar, so that nobody can sit on it. If you are parking in the spot where the security guard gets a good view of the basement, he might be sitting on your bike

I think it's not a deliberate act.
Oh!!! God!!! here's another possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@argee, you must be pretty vexed with this .. posting at late night, early morning ..
Yes very much. I hate those people meddling with other's things be it human or call it things. If the same were done at a public parking on the road, yes I can definetly accept it & say its my mistake. But this is a closed parking lot in the office premises & with the so called "literate" IT people behaving like this is really getting on my nerves. Just one or two days is acceptable, but everyday is something that I cannot tolerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Almost re-stating this : either trt polish on the outside of the mirror, or ...
I'm thinking to put a note stating not to fiddle with the mirrors.

@bbkp - I've taken the pics about half hour ago & I'll post them in the evening (no mobile to PC cable) just to show you how sparsely the motorcycles have been parked. There's no congestion in the parking & infact to give you an idea, this entire 7 storey building has only 2 floors occupied, the 2nd & 7th & each company has got their own parking lot.

Now days this is getting too much on meddling with other's vehicles. Last week when I was at the front of an automobile store, there were 2 guys talking with 1 of them sitting on my Activa that was on side stand & looked like a goon. I went upto him & said politely to get down & only after that I guess he realized the entire situation & got down.

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2010 at 11:02.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
A lot of people coming in on bikes use the mirrors of their bike (very rarely) or the mirrors of other bikes (very often) to check and redo their hairstyle. A lot of non-bikers (cleaning boys, security staff) etc. also use the bike mirrors to check and redo their hairstyle. If you are parking in a space, where eventually it is not flanked by bikes on both the sides, your bike is a good mirror candidate for such activities. Since you keep your mirrors clean and you park it at the same spot everyday, the person(s) are attracted to it naturally. I am 100% certain this is the cause of your woes and not someone nudging your mirrors after parking their bikes.

This happens to my bike in my parking space in the apartment where I live.

Your wife's suggestion might work best.

-Biju
+100. I don't have mirrors in my Fiero as well (College time obsession that mirrors were uncool). But I don't change the position of others mirrors.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Now days this is getting too much on meddling with other's vehicles. Last week when I was at the front of an automobile store, there were 2 guys talking with 1 of them sitting on my Activa that was on side stand & looked like a goon. I went upto him & said politely to get down & only after that I guess he realized the entire situation & got down.
Tell me about it mate - the worst nightmare is for proud owners of Swift like me - I donno why but Swift seems to be the pick of most morons to lay their palms on the bonnet and to lean on it. I have countless small and big dents on the bonnet - especially near the grill. When I show it to my colleague who owns the same car - He suggested that mine is nothing in comparison to some of the other owners of the car

I recall a Nana Patekar in Bluffmaster kind of incident that happened to me near a school. As I parked by bike there, there was a gang of school students happily having their post school jibes and couple of them laid their bottoms on my bike - I went up to them and requested politely to get off. One of the student got back with "Relax - Stand toot jayega to paise hum de denge". I got back to him with - " Tera haddi tod ke mein hospital ka bill barunga, challega kya?" At which point, the students disappeared - not because of my bravado, but because of a group of teachers passing by (nothing has changed ever since I left school)
bbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:22   #29
BHPian

@aargee,

On a lighter note, why not skew (malign!?) the mirrors Yourself after You park the motorcycle - better than someone else doing it to You :-D

PS: I understand the situation, Your wife's suggestion seem the best bet.
PPS: Dont loose Your sleep over this.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:31   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Take a permanent marker and make two dots: one on the mirror body near to where it is attached to the stalk and the other on the stalk. Do it on two axes (vertical and horizontal alignment). That way if someone moves the mirrors, all you need to do is to match the dots.

I used to do the same for my gypsy's left ORVM.

Don't do stupid things which will piss off the person doing this, and don't "bash" him up. Next time he'll break your mirrors (or worse) in retaliation and you will get more sleepless nights.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote