Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st March 2010, 11:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
On a lighter note, why not skew (malign!?) the mirrors Yourself after You park the motorcycle - better than someone else doing it to You :-D

PS: I understand the situation, Your wife's suggestion seem the best bet.
PPS: Dont loose Your sleep over this.
I touch my motorcycle only with a cloth or gloves & you've to trust me on this. I would never do that to any of the prized posessions that I own.

PS - Rocky is one of the best movie series that I love to watch, especially Rocky 5.

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Take a permanent marker and make two dots: one on the mirror body near to where it is attached to the stalk and the other on the stalk. Do it on two axes (vertical and horizontal alignment). That way if someone moves the mirrors, all you need to do is to match the dots.
Sorry I didn't quite understand this technique. Does this apply for motorcycles too? I've TBTS mirrors on RX.

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2010 at 11:33.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:37   #32
BHPian

well in my case, i park my activa in the street lanes (well its mumbai ) and the usual local good for nothing "hero" have their gossiping session on the bikes itself. Not to forget they have their mouth full of pan masala's, (once i found chuna on my seats) and spitting here and there. And yes they HAVE TO setup their hair from my LHS mirror. I have to set up the mirrors EVERYDAY from last 1.5 years. Guess what, i now have got used to not using the rear mirrors and well, the LHS mirror got loose hinges and is now broken :(
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Change your parking position to a different spot within your company's allotted space or try parking in the reverse direction you never know what might work.

By the way ph03n!x has a valid point in the last sentence of his post and this will be proven if your mirrors are found misaligned even when you park in a different spot.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

You're right dar3dev, if I were used to that kind of atmosphere, the one I'm experiencing is absolutely nothing; believe me I would've not even had RVMs probably

Unfortunately, we're the people worst affected when we have vacant land with a covered shed to park our drives & still not happy because we've don't have a closed garage. So these are obviously nightmares. Besides, I've experience parking at city corporation parking places in the prime areas of cities like Mt Road, T.Nagar & Anna Nagar & I cannot even recall a single incident when the RVMs are being tilted. But the limited, literate crowd & this misuse is irritating me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Change your parking position to a different spot within your company's allotted space or try parking in the reverse direction you never know what might work.
Yes, that will be ultimate; but mind refuses to forgo unless I nab.

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2010 at 12:00.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:59   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry I didn't quite understand this technique. Does this apply for motorcycles too? I've TBTS mirrors on RX.
See the example picture below:
Attached Images

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

After reading all the new posts I'd suggest you spend some major part of the day near the parking spot and see. Losing sleep and raising BP everyday, its better you spend one afternoon and close the ticket. This is getting mysterious and gathering a climax.
Hope you find the culprit soon.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 31st March 2010 at 12:08.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:06   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

aargee, do a google/youtube search for 'How to deliver a non-lethal electric shock'. You need a couple of 9-volt batteries, some wires & connectors and a switch.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
aargee, do a google/youtube search for 'How to deliver a non-lethal electric shock'. You need a couple of 9-volt batteries, some wires & connectors and a switch.
Man, you spoke my mind & that was the extreme thought I'd last night after which my Wife shouted at me posting in TBHP. Having a TBTS mirror definetly helps passing the voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Losing sleep and raising BP everyday, its better you spend one afternoon and close the ticket.
You said it right
Old 31st March 2010, 12:36   #39
lsp
BHPian

@aargee,
I can understand your hatred towards people meddling with your LHS mirror, but I think you are over reacting to the issue. Shouldnt you be checking and adjusting your mirrors every time before you ride. Thats an intrinsic part of the routine.

Even when driving a car, before starting you should check all the mirrors and adjust. I find that I need to adjust the internal RVM cos my driving posture changes in early morning when I leave for work and late evenings when I get back. I fold the ORVMs, so those also need to be adjusted as well.

And for the love of God, why does it take you '2-3 minutes & about 1-2 Kms ride' to adjust your mirrors. Tejas has suggested a very good and easy way to quickly adjust the mirrors. Please do not loose sleep over it and do not do anything like putting grease/polish/dirt bag on your mirrors.

You are lucky that people are just changing the direction of your mirrors. I sometimes have to park on the street and on two such occasions Ive found the L-ORVM broken for my car.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:37   #40
BHPian

my suggestion:

1. just cover the handle bar + mirrors with a piece of cloth, which you can keep handy in the "dome" area. whoever wants to use the mirror, will go on to another bike. this is not as cumbersome as a full bike cover - easy to put on and easy to remove.

2. park the bike with side stand (yes, i know its not a nice thing to do, but still). somehow a bike parked with main stand is more upright and higher in position, so it is more inviting to change the mirror position and comb hair

3. park the bike slightly inside (more inside than the bikes to the left and right). no one will want to take the trouble to move inside to use the mirrors.

4. park your bike next to a newer, more shiny bike that has bigger mirrors.

the idea is to tempt the hair-comber to use some other bike instead of your bike.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
4. park your bike next to a newer, more shiny bike that has bigger mirrors.

the idea is to tempt the hair-comber to use some other bike instead of your bike.
Now thats not nice either now is it? A vice is a vice. Our property or others. Period.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:47   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that was a joke

I like the side stand idea - seems practical.
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:48   #43
BHPian

I dont not whether this will work in your case. My bike mirrors have two screws to adjust the tightness of the movement just near the ball socket.Adjust the mirror and tight the screws such that it is difficult to move with a single hand .One might need to apply some real force to move. It also helps in slight misalignments casused by vibrations.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:50   #44
BHPian

Park it next to the wall, or sprinkle fine powder on your mirror. Get finger prints, call the cops
watfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
See the example picture below:
Thanks, I got what you said. Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
You are lucky that people are just changing the direction of your mirrors. I sometimes have to park on the street and on two such occasions Ive found the L-ORVM broken for my car.
^^^explains the statement on overreacting. See me previous posts on how my prized posessions are maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post
Park it next to the wall, or sprinkle fine powder on your mirror. Get finger prints, call the cops
Haha...extreme end thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I dont not whether this will work in your case. My bike mirrors have two screws to adjust the tightness of the movement just near the ball socket.Adjust the mirror and tight the screws such that it is difficult to move with a single hand .One might need to apply some real force to move. It also helps in slight misalignments casused by vibrations.
Sorry, these mirrors don'tve any screws for adjustment; even if it has, I don't want to meddle.

Quote:
1. just cover the handle bar + mirrors with a piece of cloth, which you can keep handy in the "dome" area. whoever wants to use the mirror, will go on to another bike. this is not as cumbersome as a full bike cover - easy to put on and easy to remove.
Errr....

Quote:
2. park the bike with side stand (yes, i know its not a nice thing to do, but still). somehow a bike parked with main stand is more upright and higher in position, so it is more inviting to change the mirror position and comb hair
Raju, sorry to say, I hardly use side stand. I need to start practicing more using side stands. I avoid side stands to increase the parking space.

Quote:
3. park the bike slightly inside (more inside than the bikes to the left and right). no one will want to take the trouble to move inside to use the mirrors.
This is the way I park ever since I owned a motorcycle/car.

Quote:
4. park your bike next to a newer, more shiny bike that has bigger mirrors. the idea is to tempt the hair-comber to use some other bike instead of your bike.
Good tip, now I need to find out a motorcycle that's brighter than mine. Now the thing is I've my friend's motorcycle parked next to mine, always, that's another shiney RX with OE mirrors & sometimes a shiney RD too, that always remains untouched. Looks like the shiny TBTS mirrors are the attraction!!!

This is the problem of being a perfectionist

Last edited by aargee : 31st March 2010 at 13:12.