Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st March 2010, 14:37   #46
BHPian

Your bike is a TBTS? Sorry, that bike with its shiny chrome mirrors will be the magnet for hair-combers - until and unless someone in your office buys a Harley .
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 14:43   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Your bike is a TBTS? Sorry, that bike with its shiny chrome mirrors will be the magnet for hair-combers - until and unless someone in your office buys a Harley .
No Raju, my motorcycle is RX, fitted with TBTS mirrors.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 14:47   #48
BHPian

I think thats the problem. Get some dull, boring mirrors fitted. At least you wont have to adjust them every day.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 05:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

The pics to show how they're being parked; anyway, I couldn't nab the guy & all the more the mirrors were not tilted. As ph03n!x says, it may be one of our own colleagues too. Cut the long story short, there's something the facility is working on & that should take care of the situation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until then.
LHS mirror alignment changed everyday at parking lot everyday - losing my sleep-a1.jpg
Old 1st April 2010, 06:15   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The pics to show how they're being parked; anyway, I couldn't nab the guy & all the more the mirrors were not tilted. As ph03n!x says, it may be one of our own colleagues too.
Now this makes me think - what if whoever is doing it is also a member, and has been following your posts - and that's why didn't touch your mirrors, maybe because he / she (?!!) was expecting you to pounce the moment they show up?!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 07:36   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Take two black socks and pull it over your mirror when you park the bike. With socks over the mirrors hair combers might not take the trouble in removing them and combing their hair. Try it it might work. Hair combers are oppurtunists, if they have an easier option they will go for that.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 08:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Now this makes me think - what if whoever is doing it is also a member, and has been following your posts - and that's why didn't touch your mirrors, maybe because he / she (?!!) was expecting you to pounce the moment they show up?!!
No yaar it can't be; anyway, I strongly suspect one of our colleagues, as yesterday there was noise in the office due to this; there's a proverb in Thamizh it conveys "pala naal kallan oru naal pidipaduvaan", means, a thief will get caught some day; so let me see, anyway I've 2 alternatives now, atleast that gives peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Take two black socks and pull it over your mirror when you park the bike. With socks over the mirrors hair combers might not take the trouble in removing them and combing their hair. Try it it might work. Hair combers are oppurtunists, if they have an easier option they will go for that.
I would call this as fantastic idea because this will attract crowd to see why someone has covered the RVMs with mirrors, prevent (sensible) people from pulling out the socks & also convey the message do not meddle with others RVMs.
Old 1st April 2010, 09:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

park your bike closer to the bike standing to your left
squeezing in shall put him and would be too much of an effort to do
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 09:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

@Sheel, my motorcycle is the first one to enter into that lot & first to exit, this cannot be changed due to the long distance that I travel everyday.

@Raju - see the distance between the yellow line & my motorcycle, probably mine will be parked more closer to the front wall with no helmet & side stand. The next one to me is RD where my friend's, who parks always next to me.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:11   #55
BHPian

I can totally understand your frustration. Even I don't like it when people adjust the mirrors to check their hairdo.

I had a friend who used to adjust the RHS mirror of a moving bike to check his hairdo (when he was riding pillion behind me). How stupid can people be ?

Well I do have a solution to your problem, but some may not like it.

I would suggest that you lodge a complaint to your company's facility management and say that someone has been stealing petrol from your bike. Also cook up a story that you have to travel 30 kms in the evening and that you were stranded without petrol yesterday.

Tell your company's facility management to strictly instruct the security to not let anyone (including themselves) near the bikes.

Also tell them that you and your colleagues would be conducting random checks and if you find anyone near the bikes, you would raise your concern to the higher authority.

Don't mention anything about the mirrors. If you do so, they will just laugh it off and not take any action.

Now this will take care of 50% of the problem - security guards and cleaning boys.

My guess would be that your mirror is being misaligned by one of your colleagues (educated morons) either intentionally to check their hairdo or unintentionally as they park their bikes.

My advise would be to keep an eye on the bike which is generally parked to the left of your bike.

Another advise would be to park on the extreme left or extreme right and see if there is some difference.

Don't try any extreme measures like putting shoe polish, covering the mirror, putting a note etc. If the miscreant comes to know that you are getting so irritated over a trivial (in his opinion) matter, he may even start enjoy doing it purposely to spike you.

Act cool, but remain vigilant.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 11:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks Rohan for your advices.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

@aargee
No offence, but I get the feeling you are mountain climbing over molehills! This happens to my bike almost every day. As we both go to office by bike together, my wife gives a cursory wipe to the bike every day while I am tying my shoe laces, and invariably disturbs the mirrors. I told her to be more careful once, she gave me a "look" in reply, I cringed, and that was that! Thereafter I just adjust the mirrors as soon as we move and it takes only a minute. If not her, then it will be the small kids playing all over the parked bikes who will do this. Even at the office parking lot, some guy who parks his bike very close to mine and then moves out through the small gap in between will disturb the mirror, and I have to adjust it again in the evening.

Just get a pair that is a breeze to adjust, and chill out!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 12:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Gansan sir, if the parking lot were TNagar/Ritchie street/Anna nagar or even Besant nagar or any public parking, I would've not bothered; but I can not tolerate this at home or at office & that too everyday.

The RE's mirrors, I know after how much struggle I've purchased it. There were no OE mirrors available at southern motors & they only kept saying they'll get it & were not able to get it after the entire February. No automobile shop stocks it up because RE does not sell them. Pudupet always kept provoking, but for one original set that I wanted to procure & that was until I obtain a reliable source.

Finally I got it & now I ride it with pride now & give me a feeling like I ride a Ducati but for others, its yet another RX. Whether its a mountain or a molehill, the motorcycle is mine & others have rights to stare at it without touching, its a private property parked under restricted public place.

Anyway, this issue, hopefully is coming to a closure by next week.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand the part about the RE mirrors. Are they particularly difficult to re-adjust? Does it cause any damage to them in the long run? Please don't mistake me,I do understand your annoyance, but it is not as if someone is scratching/denting our ride IMO, that will make us very very angry.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st April 2010 at 12:12.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 12:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

You're right on the part that its just an emotional factor; I don't care about the dents on the quatrapanels or the torn rear bumper on my car, but I do really care for the RVMs on my motorcycle.