Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:56   #76
BHPian
 
blackstallion76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Most of the educated city drivers do this sqeezing through the vehicles on highways.
Once a TATA Safari guy squeezed in between my swift and i10 at 100kmph on Bangalore-Mysore Highway.

Luckily, his safari just kissed the side fender and i just pulled left in-time to avoid unnecessary accident with elderly people sitting inside.
The gentleman stopped the vehicle and checked the damage of my car to say Sorry.

Bangalore-Mysore has become havoc during Sat-Sun drives. Especially during nights coming back to Bangalore.
blackstallion76 is online now  
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:16   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,460
Thanked: 872 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Bangalore-Mysore has become havoc during Sat-Sun drives. Especially during nights coming back to Bangalore.
You bet!! Its a nightmare starting from 4:00 PM till around 9:30 PM on Sunday. Every one is in a rush to get back and its literally a battle at speeds of about 100kmph for every inch of the road. You get overtaken and are expected to overtake slow moving vehicles in every inch of gap available.
abhinav.s is offline  
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:48   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

The problem with drivers ego is inflated when the car in question is a "premium" sedan. Last week when I was driving in the NH7 segment between Salem and Bangalore, I was going at an average of about 110 kmph and "happened" to overtake a slower moving BMW 3 Series car. That driver seem to have taken it to his heart and started chasing me, flashing and honking on a clean 4 lane road! He overtook me and within a few kilometers saw him stranded behind a convoy of trucks going on parallel lanes honking frantically and flashing to go ahead and then abusing truck drivers while passing. Feels sorry for such people who take it personally!
vasoo is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 00:18   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The problem with drivers ego is inflated when the car in question is a "premium" sedan. Last week when I was driving in the NH7 segment between Salem and Bangalore, I was going at an average of about 110 kmph and "happened" to overtake a slower moving BMW 3 Series car. That driver seem to have taken it to his heart and started chasing me, flashing and honking on a clean 4 lane road! He overtook me and within a few kilometers saw him stranded behind a convoy of trucks going on parallel lanes honking frantically and flashing to go ahead and then abusing truck drivers while passing. Feels sorry for such people who take it personally!
Goes to say, you can buy all the expensive stuff in the world, but if you have a brain the size of a pea, then this is what happens. I wish the guy in the BMW got a piece of the trucker's mind, and be taught a lesson. Such losers, the whole lot!
Nitin is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 00:47   #80
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: mapusa
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Boy. Mercs, Audis, 170s, 200s. Are you sure you are narrating mumbai - goa incident?
I have seen cars do that regurarly on the mum - pune express way . I have even seen vernas cruising at 160 kph quite comfortably on mum - pune expressway. I have done a top speed of 195 kph in my merc and touched around 170 in my skoda octavia 1.9 tdi.
THE merc is super stable and is capable of 230 kph and somehow you dont feel high speeds in the car. all merc owners on this forum can vouch for the fact.
Since we have business in mumbai as well as goa we regurarly travel from mum to goa . my dad is very scared of planes and only uses them to travel abroad or in hurry, other wise he uses the car only. i have seen my friends s class do about 220 kph easily on the expressway.
rah1735 is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 01:29   #81
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The problem with drivers ego is inflated when the car in question is a "premium" sedan. Last week when I was driving in the NH7 segment between Salem and Bangalore, I was going at an average of about 110 kmph and "happened" to overtake a slower moving BMW 3 Series car. That driver seem to have taken it to his heart and started chasing me, flashing and honking on a clean 4 lane road! He overtook me and within a few kilometers saw him stranded behind a convoy of trucks going on parallel lanes honking frantically and flashing to go ahead and then abusing truck drivers while passing. Feels sorry for such people who take it personally!
The last time M A Dhavan tried to show around with a trucker in kerala upon his return from washington DC, he got a royal treatment. Mallu members will clearly remember this and can vouch!
MX6 is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 07:02   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah1735 View Post
I have seen cars do that regurarly on the mum - pune express way . I have even seen vernas cruising at 160 kph quite comfortably on mum - pune expressway. I have done a top speed of 195 kph in my merc and touched around 170 in my skoda octavia 1.9 tdi.
THE merc is super stable and is capable of 230 kph and somehow you dont feel high speeds in the car. all merc owners on this forum can vouch for the fact.
Since we have business in mumbai as well as goa we regurarly travel from mum to goa . my dad is very scared of planes and only uses them to travel abroad or in hurry, other wise he uses the car only. i have seen my friends s class do about 220 kph easily on the expressway.
Boy,170-195-230 KPH! At those speeds even if one hits another car doing 100 KPH on the same direction, both will be goners! What is the legal speed limit on the Mumbai - Pune expressway?
Gansan is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 08:24   #83
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Benga'loo'ru
Posts: 290
Thanked: Once
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Boy,170-195-230 KPH! At those speeds even if one hits another car doing 100 KPH on the same direction, both will be goners! What is the legal speed limit on the Mumbai - Pune expressway?
What I hate is, people owning these big cars equipped with all safety features have NO respect for others on road.

The merc at 150, hitting a small car doing 100 may end up disasters for the small car but not the merc, and I don't think the people driving the merc even care about it, as far as they are safe.

@rah1735 - Dude, if you are doing 150 and 180 ofcourse you will get a pass, I would not like to be banged from behind by a car coming at high speed, rather let the impatient go...

There is nothing to be proud of driving at 195 and 220. Join a drag race if you like speed, but don't try it on the roads.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 24th April 2010 at 08:26.
Ranjan Sharma is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 08:49   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata, WB
Posts: 2,729
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The problem with drivers ego is inflated when the car in question is a "premium" sedan. Last week when I was driving in the NH7 segment between Salem and Bangalore, I was going at an average of about 110 kmph and "happened" to overtake a slower moving BMW 3 Series car. That driver seem to have taken it to his heart and started chasing me, flashing and honking on a clean 4 lane road! He overtook me and within a few kilometers saw him stranded behind a convoy of trucks going on parallel lanes honking frantically and flashing to go ahead and then abusing truck drivers while passing. Feels sorry for such people who take it personally!
Shows the class (or the lack thereof) of the driver - no matter he is driving a bimmer.

same type of thing happened to me too. Overtook a merc c class in my puny i10 running at 40-50, and in no time he not only catches up with me, but blocks me the remainder of the 6-7 kms until I reach office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah1735 View Post
I have seen cars do that regurarly on the mum - pune express way . I have even seen vernas cruising at 160 kph quite comfortably on mum - pune expressway. I have done a top speed of 195 kph in my merc and touched around 170 in my skoda octavia 1.9 tdi.
THE merc is super stable and is capable of 230 kph and somehow you dont feel high speeds in the car. all merc owners on this forum can vouch for the fact.
Since we have business in mumbai as well as goa we regurarly travel from mum to goa . my dad is very scared of planes and only uses them to travel abroad or in hurry, other wise he uses the car only. i have seen my friends s class do about 220 kph easily on the expressway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Boy,170-195-230 KPH! At those speeds even if one hits another car doing 100 KPH on the same direction, both will be goners! What is the legal speed limit on the Mumbai - Pune expressway?
I DO NOT think those are safe speeds in India - a villager or cattle might stray in the road and the result could be catastrophic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
What I hate is, people owning these big cars equipped with all safety features have NO respect for others on road.

The merc at 150, hitting a small car doing 100 may end up disasters for the small car but not the merc, and I don't think the people driving the merc even care about it, as far as they are safe.

@rah1735 - Dude, if you are doing 150 and 180 ofcourse you will get a pass, I would not like to be banged from behind by a car coming at high speed, rather let the impatient go...

There is nothing to be proud of driving at 195 and 220. Join a drag race if you like speed, but don't try it on the roads.

+1
blackasta is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 20:01   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 860 Times
Default

@rah1735
But what is the legal speed limit on the Mumbai-Pune expressway? I am curious as I am yet to see a road with a speed limit > 100 KPH.

@Ranjan Sharma
Merc hitting a 800/nano/Alto = curtains for them; Merc hitting a dump truck at those speeds = curtains for the Merc and pax, safety features or not. Remember Diana?

Last edited by Gansan : 24th April 2010 at 20:05.
Gansan is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 20:28   #86
BHPian
 
damanshaheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 88
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

good that u let them overtake you, going at 140 in a wagon r crazy
damanshaheed is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 21:25   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore / Toronto, Canada
Posts: 154
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

@Ranjan: Most of your points make sense and I too echo you. "Autocar is doing a "testing" and we are not doing "testing" so don't compare both." - If that statement is one in the tone of condoning, I beg to differ. Speeding is speeding no matter what the purpose is. But if the testing is done after the stretch is cordoned off, then it's fine; but then the road-users are inconvenienced but not put to risk.
Iluvcars is offline  
Old 24th April 2010, 22:11   #88
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Benga'loo'ru
Posts: 290
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
@Ranjan: Most of your points make sense and I too echo you. "Autocar is doing a "testing" and we are not doing "testing" so don't compare both." - If that statement is one in the tone of condoning, I beg to differ. Speeding is speeding no matter what the purpose is. But if the testing is done after the stretch is cordoned off, then it's fine; but then the road-users are inconvenienced but not put to risk.
Of course we have to overlook them. Why do we have to care what they are doing on road. It means if Auto-car can drive at 200 on this road, why can't I? Now that's wrong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by damanshaheed
good that u let them overtake you, going at 140 in a wagon r crazy
Who?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 24th April 2010 at 22:14.
Ranjan Sharma is offline  
Old 25th April 2010, 02:31   #89
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,882
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

There's something called as reaction time of the driver in slamming the so called brakes or in taking evasive action. 110 definitely offers a cushion there as against 180. It's not the car that causes accidents or the safety features there in that helps avoid the same. It's the driver and his driving etiquettes that is more responsible for accidents. Barring a few sections on the Autobahn's no roads in any part of the world have speed limits above 130 kph.People who have put a speed limit of 80 aren't idiots. Most vehicles plying there are on stock wheels and at high speeds on concrete roads, there were many accidents on account of tyres bursting. Speed limits reigns in a lot of these morons and reckless drivers. You are free to drive at even 300, and I wouldn't flame you unless I have you on my tail bullying me
And speeding is speeding. Reasons like I had to reach Goa earlier, I do 180 only on e-way doesn't justify speeding. Feel free to go at any speed. But it's pure speeding. If I want to reach a place quick, I start early. I've done a max of 192 kph in US once. I had a safe car with air bags, abs and all the same rubbish. But that's not the reason why I did 192. The real reason was I wanted to genuinely speed and see the adrenaline rush at those speeds.
On hind sight I feel that I was crazy. But then who doesn't go through a period of recklessness, especially when they are young and crazy?

As a safe driver, we need to respect others on the road. As a good citizen we need to also respect the laws of the land!

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2010 at 10:21. Reason: Removing quoted post which is being deleted
MX6 is offline  
Old 25th April 2010, 11:30   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
vinaydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,355
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

This is the advantage and disadvantage of having an open discussion forum.
each and every one having their own views,some of them trying to act all oversensitive and over responsible at times ,let it be people Disagreeing with FFE's because it pollutes, Dark Tints because criminals use it, Modifications,Driving Fast etc

If a person drives fast/puts on a FFE/Dark Tints/Modifies his car etc ,its the law which has to take care of that person Or feel free talking to the Person IRL and see the response you get.

Its a matter of personal choice thats it.
This is forum dedicated to cars and people who love all things auto.
vinaydas is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good deal or Bad deal?? dr chill Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 0 27th April 2006 20:45
Got 15"alloys and tyres,good deal or bad deal? .anshuman Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 4th April 2006 12:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks