Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Closed Thread

Old 3rd April 2010, 00:53   #1
BHPian

Default Being overtaken - Big deal?

Last month I drove down to Mumbai from Bangalore. I started at 330 am and was cruising at 140 kph just past Hubli (I was already 450 kms into my journey with another 565 to go) on the lovely NH4 when I overtook a WagonR which was doing about 110 kph.

After about a km or so, I see a convoy of trucks and am bogged down behind them. I check my inside rear view mirror and find the same WagonR virtually riding my boot! I wait for sometime for the trucks to give way and overtake and again regain my cruising speed of 140 kph (NH4 really permits you this) only to find the WagonR appear again right on my boot. I don't know whether the LTD on the left of my rear bumper gave him the impression that I was some kind of a racer boy game for a sprint but he sure was hell-bent to prove a point.

I checked the fuel indicator (my 2007 SX4 is pretty hungry past 140 kph. I filled 105 ltrs on my return journey of 1016 kms) and the needle was hovering just two notches above the redline. I glanced to my left and saw a petrol station at some distance so signaled left to allow the WagonR to overtake. As it overtook, I could see there were five youngsters in the car and the three guys on the back-bench merrily gave me an ear-to-ear grin and a very prominent thumbs down as they overtook! I looked to my left and saw my wife fast asleep as was my 10 yr old kid on the back-bench. I pulled over to the pertol station, tanked up and gave another 2-3 mins to the guys and continued with my journey. Thanks to the halt I didn't cross path with the WagonR. I don't blame them. At 37, I can appreciate commonsense. If I see a car approaching me I give way. Reason is simple. If someone is catching up, it surely means he's maintaining a higher average speed. It's commonsense to give way else you'll end up in a sprint duel which is foolhardy on public roads.

Those guys were doing 110 when I caught up with them and they increased speed only when I overtook them. I don't understand what's the big deal in being overtaken? If you really are a super fast driver, you won't find cars in your rear-view mirror closing the gap. The fact that someone is doing that means he is naturally faster than you. What's more sensible than to give way?! I could understand the guys had a problem when I suddenly saw them riding my boot when I was doing 140 kph. I could immediately sense they were determinded to over take me because just a few minutes back they were doing 110 and now they were approaching 150 kph.

Have anyone of you faced a similar scenario and what was your reaction?
canonguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

It's the best thing you did!
"EGO" plays a major role here and as long as we are sensible enough to let the faster moving vehicle overtake, there is no problem.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:15   #3
BHPian

Interesting incident. I guess the inference that people make when being overtaken at 20kph as against 110kph is different. The thinking probably is....hey here I am doing really good speeds and yet you overtake me, so I shall just show you that I can easily catch you anytime I want.

Have I had such incidents. Plenty of times with all kinds of vehicles. The tragedy is that when you drive fast, you may not be really racing somebody. You may be totally in sync with the car keeping good rhythm. But some bloke just decides to show you a thing or two and takes you on a public road spoiling the whole fun.

What I do is to back off completely. People sitting next to me have often made fun of this saying that when there is competition, I back off. But its better that way than go crashing into someone at breakneck speed just to win against someone on a highway.

Trouble is I have a car with headers and FFE and that adds to the feeling of challenge that people feel as the sound track also adds to the confusion.

When I started driving, it used to be more of this cat mouse games on the road but then I took to motorsport as a hobby and all the excess energy and point to prove etc got taken care off on the race track and made me far more sensible on the road.

I like the common sense you exhibited and wish that more people thought that way.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
It's the best thing you did!
"EGO" plays a major role here and as long as we are sensible enough to let the faster moving vehicle overtake, there is no problem.
You said it! Happens everywhere. If someone wants to go faster than you let them.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:53   #5
BANNED

Ahh yes. The Road EGO. Something very similar has happened to me. Unluckily for the guy it ends in disaster

I am coming back from Kandivali at around 2 in the night heading home to dadar, which is a distance of approximately 20-25 kilometers. The scorpio by design is a quicker vehicle, and thus I was in the Fast lane doing upwards of 100kmph constantly. There was this santro I see in my lane which is doing speeds of maybe around 80-90kmph. So as I am closing upto it, flashing my lights, as I absolutely hate to honk, this uy first refuses to move. So I keep behind him patiently, keep on flashing my lights till the guy decides to move. HE doesnt. So I put her into 4th, pull left, and overtake him in a jiffy, and im gone..A few mins later I see the guy in my rearview mirror weaving in and out of whatever little traffic was left, and he is driving dangerously. So I decide to let this moron go, and pull to the left. A few seconds late, I see th santro pass me, and to my shock, the occupants are hanging out from the window, with certain cans in their hand, and showing selected hand gestures to me. This guy now starts to swing from left to right dangerously, and all that comes to my mind is, "My GOD, this guy will crash." I slowly start to brake to maintain some distance, and BAM.....this guy goes right into the divider before a flyover. At this point, the occupants which were hanging out of the window get thrown around, luckily I see no one flying out of the car, and luckily or unluckily, this happens right in front of a police van which was patrolling the highway.
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've 2 incidents to share, with my own, WagonR & I keep a good eye on the RVMs & I usually spend 50% of the time looking all 3 RVM's. Also my driving habit is to use lots of judgement to avoid more braking.
1. So once there was this Tavera loaded (yes loaded) with young guys & they were flying low & this is between Sriperambadur to Chennai stretch. Due to lorry traffic & their speeding habbits these guys were forced to brake twice & all the two times I was able to overtake them easily. Now after braking each time & me overtaking, the Tavera changes to Lambo & charge; promptly, I switch my left turn lights & let them pass. This happened twice. After this Wifey & me went on argument as I'm racing, however, I'm using my driving style & Tavera is misjudging me. May be they didn't like me yielding way & they don't need a easy victory. Anyway, after several Kms there was a traffic jam & I squeezed through it leaving Tavera behind is another story. But, till date when the Tavera overtook us, I could understand from the boys in the rear seat encouraging the driver.

2. This incident occurred between Salem-Krishnagiri highway. As usual I was doing 100-110, while I spotted this Ford's speed on RVM. Promptly I moved on to middle lane yielding way to him. In few more seconds I see this Innova & I do the similar action. Now when we hit the toll, I could see the Ford & Innova on a line while I entered into a toll booth with no line. So I pay off first & move away. Once again the Ford & Innova comes charging & once again I leave way to them. Just ahead of me there's a truck on the right most lane which the Ford couldn't overtake & by the time I come Ford, instead of overtaking, signals me to pass through due to which I don't need to brake. I thank that guy within, pass by & then later allow him to pass me.
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

The highway story - happens invariably all the time when we hit the highway. Some nut or other will decide we are racing him

On a lighter note: when on long tiring drives, and if you are alone, a bit of overtaking-and-yielding is fun, provided both the drivers look at it rightly and do not do anything dangerous - to themselves or to others on the road!
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:42   #8
BHPian

Its a very common sight everywhere, even in the cities. When i am in a good mood i enjoy it. i allow them to overtake and just keep tailing them even if i could overtake. This way they will get fed up in a while and leave way for you.

All you can say is, you have a pilot vehicle for free!!
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

its all in the head
a friend of mine is like that,he never lets anyone get ahead of him,no matter what car it is.
when i questioned him why,he said,just like that
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:09   #10
BHPian

Reminds me of the time when we were still in college, driving back from Neemrana in a friends ikon 1.6, cruising along at about 130-140 (2003 meant no jams on NH8) I could see we were gradually catching up to a Hyundai Sonata - probably doing about 120.

As we approached within a couple of car lengths, he accelerated, and took to a centre of the road driving lane, so that we could'nt overtake. Anyway, a couple of km later, we managed to get ahead as he needed to brake to overtake around a truck.

But he had a quicker car, so he was on our tail pretty soon, we pushed our speed up a bit, but were not comfortable at 150+, so we let him overtake. This guy overtook, gets a couple of car lengths ahead and then rolls down his window, slows down (to 120?) and does a hand gesture for us to overtake for the dude.... and everytime we try to get ahead, he puts his pedal to the metal, quite easily out accelarating us. kept this up for 2-3 km, before we slowed to 80-90 and let the guy get ahead....

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd April 2010 at 11:58. Reason: Deleting extra smiley. Please use only two smilies per post. Please read the rules.
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
pulsar56 (Being overtaken - Big deal?) : It's the best thing you did!
+2. Becuase I can say that more than once. The guys did not know the limitations of their car, or the capability of your's.
Quote:
Come to think of it, even persistent flashing to ask for space is a form of Ego. Best thing to do on highways is to - if time & space permits - pass on the left, go ahead and then change lanes. Not flashing to ask for way can actually reduce posssibilities of the other guy feeling challenged.

Quote:
At 37, I can appreciate commonsense. If I see a car approaching me I give way. Reason is simple. If someone is catching up, it surely means he's maintaining a higher average speed. It's commonsense to give way else you'll end up in a sprint duel which is foolhardy on public roads.
Logical. Btw, such a 'duel' is often with foolhardy people. Best to let them be. It's not necessary !
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

I have only one rule:

If some one wants to go past you, let him go !

I see that happen to me all the time. Because I cruise on the highway at less than 100, I see almost all of them go past and I dont have issues with that whatsoever. One should drive a speed one is comfortable with and a speed that one thinks can be controlled. Else its a dangerous territory.

My driving style gives me a amazing mileage as well.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd April 2010 at 10:08.
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:47   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Happens all the time. Maintaining a steady cruising speed (based on traffic and circumstances) gives you better deal all around yet you will see some or the other guy start to "race". Worst that has happened (more than once) is when they are driving dangerously and end up in disaster few(or more) kms down the road. Maintaining your composure was the best thing.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Come to think of it, even persistent flashing to ask for space is a form of Ego. Best thing to do on highways is to - if time & space permits - pass on the left, go ahead and then change lanes. Not flashing to ask for way can actually reduce posssibilities of the other guy feeling challenged.
I get extremely irritated when cars behind unnecessarily (it is understandable if they have indicated their intension to ovetake but are denied the way) flash. Many cab drivers have this habit of flashing every 10 seconds when it is getting dark (and they dont put on their lights).
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I get extremely irritated when cars behind unnecessarily (it is understandable if they have indicated their intension to ovetake but are denied the way) flash. Many cab drivers have this habit of flashing every 10 seconds when it is getting dark (and they dont put on their lights).
Thats true. But I also fail to understand, how ego gets effected for the guys who dont give side, in spite of being asked for?
Closed Thread