Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 16th April 2004, 01:05   #1

Question

Was reminising with friends about old times when this one came up.
This happened around 5 years back when I was in first year mbbs. We were studying at my friend monty's place at elphistone (just off tulsi pipe) when around 4 in the morning we got bored and decided to give sam a visit just to see whether he was studying or not. We came downstairs and were deciding whether to take his car (a very early esteem) or mine (1989 fiat - blue), when we decided to take both and race down to sam's place. Now sam stays at bandra reclamation and 5 years back the sea-link hadnt opened and tulsi pipe was also riddled with pot holes and speed breakers. Monty having the better car let me start ahead. As soon as i could i floored the accelerator (isnt as exciting as it sounds in a fiat) and realised that my only chance was to take every pothole and speed breaker as fast as i could since i knew monty wouldnt risk doing that to his comparatively new car.
Well doing just that i managed to lead till the end of tulsi pipe, turned left towards mahim depot and then realised that here was going to be the problem. It was going to be impossible to to keep ahead on the open roads of mahim causeway. By then the adrenaline had got hold of all reason and throwing caution to the wind i did the only thing i could. As soon as he started to come to one side to overtake i would block his way first this way then that. This is quite easy to do when there are other cars on the road but believe me its quite difficult to do that on an open road with two unevenly matched cars. By this time monty was thouroughly pissed with good reason and i could hear his car screaming as he downshifted and took the turn to reclamation. I took the turn around the same time and as he overtook me his car stalled right in front of mine. I narrowly missed hitting him and continued on my way full speed not believing my luck.
Anyway by the time we reached sam's place my car was steaming and there were funny clicking noised coming from under the hood.
And sam was fast asleep as usual.
bevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 02:57   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (bevada @ April 15 2004,23:35)]And sam was fast asleep as usual.
so sam that night we all met...u really wanted to study or sleep!!! * *

M3
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2004, 05:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (bevada @ April 15 2004,23:35)]i did the only thing i could. As soon as he started to come to one side to overtake i would block his way first this way then that. This is quite easy to do when there are other cars on the road but believe me its quite difficult to do that on an open road with two unevenly matched cars.
Hahaha.....yeah bevda.. i have this friend who keeps trying this on me at marine drive all the time.... i have developed a few tactics...but havent had the chance to try them yet. Usually i just pretend i am not interested and then when he stops trying i zoom past ;-P

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2004, 14:31   #4
Sam
BHPian

Funny one RJ
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2004, 02:38   #5
BANNED

damn sam u can sleep.............u should come here and help out in our opd we have a lot of insomniacs ~!
vishnugnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2004, 00:54   #6
BHPian

Thats one for the books and for TF thats another battle won it feels good to hear when an old car destroys a new car well this is not the first time a team mate of mine in Pune has destroyed other cars many a times and his car is a 1960 moded fiat which has clocked 140kph on the express way which we feel is dam cool so if you guy guys have any more stories keep them comming
Team Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 21:23   #7

Hey TF that fiat was my first car a hand me down from my father when he got his new esteem. I was 18 with no source of income and my dad wasnt that interested in the car. Which lead me to drive her to the limit and beyond. The fastest i have clocked her is 115 kph though i blew a gasket after going at that speed for 8 mins. I learnt 360's (which were usually more like 120s), hard cornering and wheel spins on her.
Now shes with a taxi driver friend whos converted her into a cng taxi. Man i am nostalgic about that car.
bevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 22:24   #8
BHPian

Hey thats really cool wheel spins and all,Fiats are hard core machines man u must see our cars if u go to modifcations ,go to latest mods on your car TF pic is there check it out dude
Team Fiat is offline   Reply With Quote