Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th April 2010, 09:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I may not have enough strength to carry it all back down the next morning, for one.
Okay, so lets just remove the gear stick and take it upstairs
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 11:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ok, some bad news for potential customers of Autocop Gear lock.

I had just called their regional office at Bangalore and they told me that they have stopped manufacturing and sales of Autocop gear lock in Bangalore and other cities though it is available in NCR due to the left over stock.

Which other brand does the forum think is equally good or better?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 11:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^ Search for gear lock on this forum. There is Xenos. Minda, Black cat etc that come to my mind. I have a Black cat GL on my zen. Blackcat has one for a Lancer as well.

As for taking the steering along with you, what would stop theives from not carrying their own to pick up cars ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:17   #19
BHPian

It looks like even thieves are scared of Skoda's A.S.S. Just kidding!
vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey, do you stay in Soutch City 1 by any chance. I used to stay there, and since it is quite an upmarket area, thieves used to frequent the place quite often.

While I was staying in the area, thieves tried to break into the house and also tried to steal the car, I belive it was an Indigo XL, the owner kept this car out and two others locked inside. So they tried this car, and it was a new car.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 15:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
1. Is your locality made up of houses or bunglows and not apartment buildings?
2. Is the neighbourhood quiet after about 10pm or so and does not stir till about 6am? No late night office workers, no call centre people or shift workers staying in the neighbourhood?
3. Are there lots of small lanes, trees, compound walls?

Also I don't think they mistook your Skoda for the Accent. Whichever car was parked outside, they would have lifted it. So yes, you have been lucky. It might also be interesting to find out if your houseowner had fitted any anti-theft devices in his Accent.
1. Yes
2. Mostly quite after 11 pm
3. Compound walls - yes. Trees - mine is parked right under one.

Very valid arguements you have made. The thief would have had time to sandwich himself between our house wall and the car (the driver side door is house wall facing) and then worked on it. Not sure if parking the car in reverse manner (driver side door road facing) will work as then the thief can work on entering the car from the passenger side door. Aaaaaarrrrrghhh

The houseowner just had regular central locking - which in my opinion is more of a convenience than a security device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
He said, he was aware of that, but the intention of using the gadgets were to make the theft as difficult as possible. Instead of a minute's job, make it more.
I couldn't agree more. There are no foolproof anti-theft devices. They can only delay the theft (which in itself should suffice in most circumstances). That is why I am more inclined to find a fool-proof GPS device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Also, I do think that the thieves were mistaken, they were after your Octy for sure.Remember that no car is impossible to steal provided the thieves get enough time. The people in my locality use Weld-Less heavy chains through the wheel and axle and tie it to a Lamp-Post(a little crude but works).

I would still not rule out the thieves TOWING away the car(since you mentioned no noise)
For some time I was also contemplating the chain idea - boy what haven't I thought about already. However I can't do that because it is a rented accomodation and am not sure how the owner will react to me digging up the ramp and adjoining wall.

Even in case of towing, the towing vehicle would have had some engine noise. Maybe thieves now come in super silent vehicles. Now I am close to lunacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Hey, do you stay in Soutch City 1 by any chance. I used to stay there, and since it is quite an upmarket area, thieves used to frequent the place quite often.

While I was staying in the area, thieves tried to break into the house and also tried to steal the car, I belive it was an Indigo XL, the owner kept this car out and two others locked inside. So they tried this car, and it was a new car.
I live some distance away from South City 1. However my sis (on whose Civic the theft attempt was made and which was saved by the factory fitted immobilizer) lives there. Last month a Verna was stolen from in front of her house (belonged to the neighbours). This with her street having gates on both ends with guards posted in each end. I thought that was . Until this happened.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 15:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Cesc: Apart from the GPS, Gear lock and stuff, you should also consider having some kind of 'unusual' security system in your car that MUST surprise any thief and issue warning signal or make a loud sound or something. It may not be a sophisticated or popular one one but should work.

BTW, Found this funny sticker on the net:
Name:  antitheft.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  16.9 KB
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 18:05   #23
BHPian

"I couldn't agree more....
That is why I am more inclined to find a fool-proof GPS device"

What if they take it to a shed/underground car park,GPS and even GSM gets very bad there,Won't they expect you to have some secondary protection.

My suggestion will be to park it inside(After a pretty-please to the land-lord,of course) till the Accent is Found/Reimbursed/Replaced.

Another idea,though it must be tried in the worst case,I have tried it but I don't compel you in any way to do the same.

In winters,car thefts were getting more rampant & daring in our colony, one night, when I was cocksure it was our parking lot, I slept in the car with a big towel on, noticed some click-clack fidgeting and activated the panic mode alarm on my Alto & boy, the lot got saved,though only a couple of people know about my heroics, sadly though, they stole all 4 tyres of a half-dozen cars the next day in the other lot.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 18:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax;1858297BTW, Found this funny sticker on the net:
[ATTACH
338893[/ATTACH]
This is really funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
What if they take it to a shed/underground car park,GPS and even GSM gets very bad there,Won't they expect you to have some secondary protection.

My suggestion will be to park it inside.

In winters,car thefts were getting more rampant & daring in our colony, one night, when I was cocksure it was our parking lot, I slept in the car with a big towel on, noticed some click-clack fidgeting and activated the panic mode alarm on my Alto & boy, the lot got saved,though only a couple of people know about my heroics, sadly though, they stole all 4 tyres of a half-dozen cars the next day in the other lot.
A good GPS should be able to alert you in case of forced/entry or some other hanky-panky (read ECU swap etc.). At least that is what I think it should be able to do.

Can't park it inside mate. Landlord got a Honda City before the day ended. In Gurgaon there is virtually no public transport. Not having a set of wheels is akin to having no legs.

Can't sleep in my car either. Wifey already thinks I am too attached to the car (even though she loves it herself). If I start sleeping in it, I may be staring at some unpleasent papers

That was definitely some heroics on your part though.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 20:10   #25
BHPian

Oh, you live in Gurgaon! , I live in Dwarka which is practically the same considering Intra Sector transport.

I suggest get a GPS anti theft system + SMS immobilizer from anyone except micro VBB,their servers are always overloaded and rely on Google Maps, which again has to pass its data to them resulting in high latencies and very wide area of probable location(as told by my Co.'s Tech Head.By the way, he uses Predator model device with worldwide coverage) .Please get a demo first and see how approximate the location is.

This will ,at most give you some peace of mind and you can sleep normally at night
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote