Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th May 2010, 15:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Horrific accident by run-away containter lorry - Hosur Road - 10:45 PM 05/05/2010

Last night, me and 3 other colleagues were returning from office on Hosur Road towards Silk-board. We were in a Tempo Traveller and doing probably 60-70 kms. We'd overtaken a lorry carrying a green container and stopped at the next signal - Singasandra signal. Thankfully our TT stopped more in the middle lane than the left lane. Suddenly, I heard a loud noise and saw a green train hurtling by on our left. Our vehicle jerked a little and I could see this green train still go onwards at a good speed. My first thought went towards the people and bikers who would've stopped at this same signal towards the left lanes. The train still hurtled on and kept moving on after hitting some people. Angered by him not stopping, our driver moved our vehicle forward to give chase. Another Sumo cab also joined in and actually did a police maneuver and pulled in his vehicle in front of the lorry. By this time, the lorry thankfully had lost momentum but still banged hard into this Sumo. But this stopped the lorry in its tracks but you could plainly see that the lorry driver tried to swerve very hard to the right and escape!!

We stopped the TT a little forward and to the left of the road and by this time, the crowd chasing the lorry pulled out the driver out and started to thrash the living daylights out of him. I even saw some guys stop their bikes and have a few kicks thrown in. I remembered the people who must've been crushed under the lorry and rushed to see if I could be of help in any way. When I reached there, I saw 3 bodies on the road. Only one of them was moving. The others were mangled beyond recognition and I would have nightmares for a long time to come.

But whats worst is that no one had called the ambulance or the cops. I quickly took out my mobile and tried calling all the emergency numbers I had - 1064, 100, 1061, 28230700 and 105711. NONE of these numbers worked and did not even go through! There was not even a ring going through. In my shocked state, I could only keep re-trying the numbers and lost all hope when no rings went through!!

The cops finally arrived around 15~20 minutes later and we were arranged another cab and asked to leave. When I walked towards the area where the bodies were, I couldn't see them anymore. I really don't know what happened to them and really hope there was atleast the one survivor.
In all this, I feel really sad that I could not do more. My calls fell on deaf ears, my rings did not go through. Our rapid response teams are not really rapid at all. Why not have a national emergency number like 911 where people are not prosecuted for trying to help? My nightmare of the mangled bodies follows me....
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 15:55   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Shocking. Really shocking. The runaway truck mauling people. Then people mauling the truck driver. Welcome India back to the cave men era. Worst part is that none of the emergency numbers are reachable.
Sad you had to witness these things. Pray you get over the trauma quickly.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. RIP to the victims. This is so alarming. I ride a 2 wheeler often and such incidents send a shiver through my spine. Not long back a child was orphaned by another such truck driver on the Hebbal Road.

Naveen, to get over it. Talk to people about it, dont keep it within yourself. Please go about your daily routine as always.

Hope you get over it soon.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 18:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Spitfire and MX6. Yeah, I ride on the same road often and it horrifies me to think that I could easily have been one of the victims yesterday. Moreover cause I always ride on the left lane and stop at signals on the left side as much as possible. The thought crossed of other colleagues and friends riding on the same roads. Thank the heavens that none of them were there last night!
Old 6th May 2010, 18:36   #5
BHPian

Naveen, the least said about such accidents the better. Honestly, I don't want any gory pictures to be seen. At least that way I don't have to struggle to keep away such pictures from my thought.
In regards to your nightmares, give yourself a pat every time the thoughts come in for what you've done (well at least honestly tried to achieve). Once, I happened to be there on the spot of a truck-and-truck head-on collision minutes after the accident. Many friends of mine and I pulled 2 or 3 alive but severely injured persons and managed to send them to the nearest Govt Hospital. None of them survived was the news we heard next morning. Every time the thoughts / scenes of what-I-want-not-to-recollect come, I carefully think only of the help we extended. Gradually you would get over with that, at least that's what my experience says.
Last but not the least - Great job Naveen for your humanitarian deeds.
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Iluvcars. What was more horrifying yesterday was some jokers merrily taking pictures on their mobile phones. Aaargh.

I also want to use this chance to ask you guys to update me on the following:

1. Are the numbers I tried the right one - in the sense are they correct, valid numbers.
2. Are there any other specific numbers that we can all have in case of such emergencies.
3. Do hospitals still hassle people who try and help such accident victims?
Old 6th May 2010, 19:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

2. Are there any other specific numbers that we can all have in case of such emergencies.
Did you not try 108?
As far as my experience in calling 100 in Bangalore, the person who picks the call never speaks any other language other than Kannada.
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 19:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Iluvcars. What was more horrifying yesterday was some jokers merrily taking pictures on their mobile phones. Aaargh.
LEAST surprised! From my experience, ours (Indian) is one of the most callous societies (when it comes to public life) that I happened to have lived in! Pictures taken are nothing in front of those occasions when people (read group) cordon off the accident area with a human wall who never help the victims while prevent (again insensitively) the good souls that are ready to reach out to the victims at least to give them some water.
Remember the incident in TN where a police officer was left to die on the roads and the positions the witnesses of that gory incident occupy in the society?
Sorry for going a little off-topic; honestly, I couldn't help it.
God bless you dear for what you have done!
Old 6th May 2010, 20:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What was more horrifying yesterday was some jokers merrily taking pictures on their mobile phones. Aaargh.
During the Carlton Fire. I remember people taking videos of the people jumping to their deaths. Some of these were very shockingly shown on national TV.

We have a very screwed up society.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 20:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But whats worst is that no one had called the ambulance or the cops. I quickly took out my mobile and tried calling all the emergency numbers I had - 1064, 100, 1061, 28230700 and 105711. NONE of these numbers worked and did not even go through!
Next time remember 108. Its almost equivalent for 911 in US. Its run by a hyderabad based organization and I heard they have tie-up with 911.

Beleive them, they are faster than you think. And free too.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 21:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Next time remember 108. Its almost equivalent for 911 in US. Its run by a hyderabad based organization and I heard they have tie-up with 911.

Beleive them, they are faster than you think. And free too.
I was about to suggest this, you beat me MJothi; 108 used to work on the process of call centre & one of the initiator being from Satyam computers. Not sure how much effective it is now after the scam & GVK taking over. In Chennai, however, I see quite a few ambulances bearing this number running up & down.

Check out this site for more information - http://www.emri.in/

Last edited by aargee : 6th May 2010 at 21:12.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 21:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that mjothi and aargee! Didn't know such a number existed. This will come in handy, though I hope I never have to use it.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

What was the truck driver thinking? Was there any info released on that?Was they guy not aware of what was happening when all this took place? What are the chances of a medical condition, although the fact that he tried to swerve and escape suggests the moron was absolutely fine.
Gosh! This is scary, and to think of it something like this can happen anywhere.God be with us all!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 00:40   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Remember the incident in TN where a police officer was left to die on the roads and the positions the witnesses of that gory incident occupy in the society?
Sorry for going a little off-topic; honestly, I couldn't help it.
God bless you dear for what you have done!
That's not OT.That incident still sends shivers down my spine. I was supposed to go that route during my trip to tirunelveli. Some reason I decided to stop and return back through madurai and chennai. When the gory thing happened, I was just 20 odd kms away. When I came back to chennai and saw that being relayed live on tv, I felt the biggest disgust ever.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 03:25   #15
BHPian

@MX6: I can imagine what it could have been for you to watch the news. One note-worthy point is that the officer who was murdered (I wouldn't use the word killed) wasn't, in fact, the one they had wanted to kill. That makes the episode even nastier!
Even worse is, you know what, some SoBs filmed it and some channels aired it! What are our hearts made of - granite?