Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 10th June 2010, 21:30   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^Catch hold of car with out of state registration plates. Thats the one they will look for and wire around. The driver must act out of town asking for directions. Thats a start. I hope none of the tech dept guys of the mugger gang is registered with T-bhp to leak out the modus operendi.

Guys, All these threads are google searchable and anyone can read. Small caution, please discuss strategies and time offline when you guys meet and not on the forum.
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 21:50   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Guys, All these threads are google searchable and anyone can read.
If the muggers are that smart that they google to check who is trying to trap them, then we better not try anything and let the police work it out.

Its in the papers man and if the police are with them, well each one for himself.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 06:39   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If the muggers are that smart that they google to check who is trying to trap them, then we better not try anything and let the police work it out.

Its in the papers man and if the police are with them, well each one for himself.
I still don't have issues discussing the plan here as long as we are not disclosing car reg. number and actual point or day of the plan, but as some members are not comfortable we will take it offline, guys who all are interested in doing this please put you say in this weekend, I along with Alter are out of bangalore and will return on Sun day night, will PM each member for one planning meet.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 07:27   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatmilan View Post
We can speak to all the local Resident Welfare Associations (RWA's) and get them in as well. There is a super association of all the associations (i think it is called FORWARD or something like that). RWA's can put a lot of pressure on public administration authorities.

Apartments like, Sun City etc. have very strong associations and they will deifnitely come along with us. Btw, there are 2-3 victims from Sun City and their associaiton wrote email to commissioner when local police refused to file FIR. So they have already taken up the issue with higher authorities and we can leverage this.

Anyone from Suncity apt on this forum???
The RWA is already aware of the issue. However, whats happening on this front, i do not know.

Our members Nemo and Corsa_Love belong to Sun City, if i am not wrong.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 11:06   #275
BHPian

Am in for the game and its high time for us to react. I stay in Bellandur and take the Jail road to E-city everyday, moreover mine is a Kerala registered vehicle.

As mentioned its better to gather on Monday evening as most of us will be out of town this weekend.

@asdon: Nice initiative and please don't discuss the plan here, we can take it offline once we form a group.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 12:56   #276
BHPian

This happened yesterday morning :

My dad had to leave for Mangalore by day bus. Departure time was 8.30AM from KBS(Majestic). Since I was leaving early for work, I dropped him off near the main road - close to my place so that he can go by an Auto.

It was 7.45AM - Kanakapura Main road - near Yediyur Lake ( JNR 6th BLK). None of the autos I hailed agreed to come to Majestic. Surprisingly there was not much traffic on a weekday at this hour...just the buses and heavy vehicles and a few autos - hardly any two wheelers.

Finally one auto chap stopped. Agreed immediately and as soon as my dad got into the auto - he asked me if there were the two of us or just one. I told him it was just one person. He then asked this -

"Quick, give me Rs 100 - I will give you 2x50" and he showed 2 x 50 - but I asked him "why the hurry - he will give you when he gets off " and he agreed.

Then he just turned the Rick around and started zooming away but I had already sensed something wrong so I tried to notedown the Auto Num - but he had moved away too far by then.

I came home. Called dad - no response. 2 hours later my dad called me from the bus-stand. This is what happened -

The Rick guy took him 100 mts up the road - to the end of the lake on Kanakapura Road - found a slightly deserted place ( amazing at that time, in that area) and stopped. He then told dad he urgently needed a 1000 rupees note and gave him 10x100s indeed.

At this point most of us would have caught onto his game but let me tell you my dad has traveled less than 25 times in an auto in the last 25 years. He is a doctor who always uses either our car or his two wheeler. He is very naive about auto -drivers and not aware of these tricks despite me warning him. Yday he was mugged.

So dad gives him 1000 x 1. And takes the 10x100. The guy then says - "One sec please gimme back the 100s....he takes it and says - there are only 9 hundreds here - dad is shocked - he recounts it and indeed there are only 9 hundreds.... So now the driver got down and asked dad to get down and abused him - verbally , tried to get physical and asked him to give him back another 100. ( Remember he already had dads 1000 with him)

Now dad caught his game and got off the auto and tried to run away but he caught him and threatened him. So dad just gave him the 100 - and amazingly the driver said - come I will drop you off to the bus stand...ofc dad didn't go...but he was too dazed to do anything - he had to catch the bus for an imp meet in M'lore so he just took another auto (!!!! - he didnt even call me) and went to the bus stand and boarded another bus to Mlore. ...

He later told me that he was stunned to even note down the auto number - and I was left so frustrated for not noting down the number in the first place. Initially I thought dad was so stupid but ...in hindsight, the auto chap planned his game so quickly -

• He wanted to know if dad was alone
  • He tried the 100rupees/50 rupees trick but I prevented it
  • He saw a chance at a deserted place and mugged dad within 10min

My dad could have tried to resist him (well not much of a chance and v risky - a frail looking aged doctor against a rowdy/goonda driver) ..raise an alarm etc..but what if the driver had attacked him with a knife or something or hit him or hurt him ...plus my dad had about 5K cash on his person(he doesn't carry even that much - he always carries less than 1K and no CCs in the city because he fears mugging) and his mobile which he thankfully had put inside his bag.

So he got away physically unharmed but badly shaken. He lost 1100 rupees. But could have been far worse.

I suggest that we dont drop off elderly people in the early morning hours or late evening hours alone in any auto. And whenever we hail an auto for family members - note down the number in any case.
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 21:34   #277
BHPian

@Sandeep: Very unfortunate an incident your dad was put through. Not giving a free advice - but as a matter of fact whenever I see people off, unless they are a group of all men, in any taxi I will take the time to look at the driver's face (very friendly though) and make a note of the registration number and ensures that the driver sees my making note of the number. I believe, that serves as a serious deterrent.
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 22:00   #278
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sandeep, thats a very sad incident. But, I am happy that your father came out unhurt from it. 1100 is nothing in front of an injury or something. At the same time I am tired of typing this everytime. There should be some resistance. I too was cheated and deceived by rick drivers when I was new to Bangalore. They used to tell me Advait petrol pump and take me to some other Advait and so on. I hope your dad forgets about this as soon as possible. Pepper spray anyone ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 12:16   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

So when do we meet up?
I am free today evening and day after.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 13:03   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So when do we meet up?
I am free today evening and day after.
I am in.Have smsed avijit too.

Guys come on.Lets not let this thread die without any conclusion.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 13:54   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
I am in.Have smsed avijit too.

Guys come on.Lets not let this thread die without any conclusion.
Lets meet tomorrow, I am some what free.
Old 15th June 2010, 14:02   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Lets meet tomorrow, I am some what free.
Tomorrow is difficult for me.
Since it is already midweek (tomorrow, that is) how about making it this Saturday? More people should be able to join i guess.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 14:11   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Tomorrow is difficult for me.
Since it is already midweek (tomorrow, that is) how about making it this Saturday? More people should be able to join i guess.
No issues on Saturday
Old 15th June 2010, 14:42   #284
BHPian

Sandeep, very sorry to hear that your dad was mugged/cheated. here's what happened to me ~2 yrs ago.
I was at a chemist near my house, a nomad lady approached me with a baby in her arms asking me for a 500 rupee note & that she would give me 5X 100 rupee notes in return.
She must have uttered this at least 6-7 times but I completely ignored her knowing it would be some scam & walked away.
Now I think I should have called the cops instead damn....
raihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 16:14   #285
BHPian

Guys I am travelling from Friday to Monday this week hence will not be available.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote