Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 30th June 2010, 17:45   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
You are right, the best option would be to keep driving at a slightly higher speed and reach a safer area or atleast the front gate of any office which usually has security personnel manning the gate.
Security guards at most gates are just for filling a position thats it. I reported on the rant thread that my company guard was beaten up by a local motorcycle rider who was driving on the footpath and crashed with an employee coming out of the office gates. The guard caught the footpath rider only to be hit black and blue by the local. There were other guards from the same company who could do nothing but watch.
Many of them just come to complete their shifts and their agencies get paid by our companies to place a human near a gate.

When I used to work late nights sometimes I used to chat with these fellas who usually dwell from almost all eastern states and they were of the opinion that if a motivated miscreant/terrorist wants to do something sinister then he will do it anyways. There are many loopholes from which he can operate. I was baffled as it came from a security guy.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:07   #347
BHPian

Guys no circulation of numbers reqd, there is a CCD near Belandur Junction, who so ever is interested in a plan, please be there at 4:30pm this Sat day. We can take it forward from there
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:15   #348
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday my friend who works with me became the prey of these infamous biker duo - I am not sure the bike was a black pulsar - he could not remember the bike, or any details.

What happened is:
He was coming to pick a friend from Kodichikkanahalli, to attend my friends housewarming. The time was around 12.30 PM, soon after crossing the Vijayabank layout junction (EK retail junction), towards kodichikanahalli, there is a road hump - he slowed his swift to pass the hump, and two guys on a bike overtook him and parked their bike on road, closing his way.

One guy came near him, and said that his car hit their bike, and they want him to park the car and talk. Since it was broad daylight, and it was very near to a junction, he parked the car and got out (which was a foolish thing to do - he was sure that he did not hit anyone). Soon after he got out, one guy started shouting and asked him to take him to hospital. My friend asked them to get inside the car so that he can take them to hospital (the most foolish thing – he should have asked the miscreants to show what the damage is, and should have just shouted – the junction is just about 200 mtr from where this happened)- which was about 200 -300 mtr from where this happened.

As soon as they got inside the car, their voice changed, and as soon as he took a U-turn towards the hospital, the goon who was sitting in the front seat broke his review mirror inside the car - my friend got panicked, and asked them what they want. they asked him to give the money in his purse - he had about 1400 rs, and when they saw that the amount is less, they asked him what will they do with so less an amount, and demanded his gold chain. He gave the gold chain, and the duo got out and left.

He was so shaken by the incident that he don’t remember anything about the bike - he went to the police station, and field an FIR.
He was from Bangalore - but still, he could not escape their hands. It is really frightening to know that the mugging is happening in broad day light, that too, on moderately busy roads within the vicinity on people.

Last edited by theexperthand : 30th June 2010 at 18:17.
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:20   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
He was from Bangalore - but still, he could not escape their hands.
Drat! There goes the assumption that only outside registration vehicles and people are targetted. Harmless looking individuals can also be targetted. I'm sorry about what happened to your friend, glad to know he came out w/o any injuries.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:26   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
- "Don't stop the car at any cost and if they try to block the road, hit them and go, we want them to come to us for lodging an accident complain which they will not do",.
That's my favourite part of the entire conversation. The only problem with us TBHPians is the fact that we love our rides way too much. How can we possibly go and hit someone!

They are obviously attracted to decent vehicles. Otherwise, I would have suggested a rusty open jeep with loud hindi music blaring out of the speakers.But I dont think its our job to play heroes.

Don, what about Hoysalas? weren't there any on the way? Why dont the Bangalore cops deploy more Hoysalas on the ORR since they are already aware of this!!..

Well, we obviously know that they are muggers. What if ( i know this is a stupid idea, but might work in a open stretch of road at night/day), we turn around and drive down in the opposite direction, headlights on high and horn blaring. (charge of the bull?) As soon as they realize that we are willing to break all rules, they would run for cover.
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:29   #351
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Why has not anyone used Pepper Spray? I think that would be a good weapon against these people. (But then they might get the same idea).

I think the Police is not interested in catching these thugs. The police can easily arrange for some private cars and travel on these routes without their uniform, till they catch some of these criminals.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:38   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
The only problem with us TBHPians is the fact that we love our rides way too much. How can we possibly go and hit someone!
Is it just that ? For most of the members including me, hitting someone would be unthinkable let alone with our cars or anything like that.

I can't imagine the police asking civilians to hit people with their cars.
Talk about taking law in your hands. More than anything else if they start shouting in Kannada the people around you will batter you and hand you over to the police and then you can say "I was just getting the muggers to you'.
Trust me, someone hits someone on a lesser vehicle and he is in a bigger soup.
No offence, nothing was meant for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Why has not anyone used Pepper Spray? I think that would be a good weapon against these people. (But then they might get the same idea).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I agree and one have 2 for both hands just in case you want to go wild like Nicholas cage in 'The Rock' final scene when he wants to get the attention of the pilots in F16s. But seriously, has anyone tried operating a can of pepper spray. For people staying in Bangalore it is available in almost all major malls, Spar Hypermarket, MKH, BB etc. and retails for 499 INR.

Problem is these goons get innovative every hurdle they face and try to counter the same. What if they carry their own pepper spray bottles what if they wear air tight swimming goggles, what if ..and so on.
Quote:
I think the Police is not interested in catching these thugs. The police can easily arrange for some private cars and travel on these routes without their uniform, till they catch some of these criminals.
I think the criminals know the Police concentration and deployment for a particular day and area. I won't be surprised if an insider must be supplying all the logistics. Trust me, I come from a family who is half into the Police services. I come to hear so many incidents from my FIL about people around the force directly or indirectly linked to the Police misuing power. To keep it simple, let me put it this way, a local tea vendor who has his shack outside the police station will act like a dada and command his ways with the general pubilc.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 30th June 2010 at 18:48.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:59   #353
BHPian

All,

Lets stop discussing what to do and what not to do on threads.This thread has almost reached quater century in posts and no results till now.
As of now its like each one on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Guys no circulation of numbers reqd, there is a CCD near Belandur Junction, who so ever is interested in a plan, please be there at 4:30pm this Sat day. We can take it forward from there
As posted by avijit, whoever is interested in suggesting solutions and volunteering to help out on this cause lets meet at 4:30pm.

Avijit,
Lets not meet in Belandur junction as reaching there itself is a painful act with traffic and not to mention the muggers might be seated next to us

Why not meet at our regular t-bhp meeting point at dominoes/CCD near agara flyover.Abundant parking and privacy assured
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 08:57   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I think the criminals know the Police concentration and deployment for a particular day and area. I won't be surprised if an insider must be supplying all the logistics. Trust me, I come from a family who is half into the Police services. I come to hear so many incidents from my FIL about people around the force directly or indirectly linked to the Police misuing power. To keep it simple, let me put it this way, a local tea vendor who has his shack outside the police station will act like a dada and command his ways with the general pubilc.
I was thinking something similar when i was returning after dinner at around 11.20 PM. I was returning from Koramangala to Sarjapur Rd. Saw a couple of guys dicussing with two constables (I'm sure they were cops) around the entrance of the LemonGrass area. Later thought its funny, shouldnt be suspecting everyone around!! I know we have become over conscious about this but it needs to reach a conclusion.

Lets meet-up. Is this CCD near agara circle is the same that you see on your left side when you start for Silkboard jn. from Agara (on ORR)?

Last edited by Ketan : 1st July 2010 at 08:59.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 10:56   #355
BHPian

Being informed & alert should definitely do a lot good. I was talking to my daughter's karate instructor some time back on the same topic. He told me to avoid the road from NGV Kormangala towards Vivek Nagar after midnight as lot of hooligans from the slums next to Sales Tax ,Passport office come on to the roads & are usually armed at that time.

FBHPians sharing their experiences at various vulnerable locations is a good source of information. One can exercise caution being informed. Because one has not had any bad experience in some city does not mean he/she can be complacent or mugging incidents don't happen in that city.
Rajiv-Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:04   #356
BHPian

Its' the 1st of the month today, guys be careful & spread the word among your friends etc..
I thought almost the whole of Bangalore knows about these incidents & still we have people falling prey.
raihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 11:20   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
I was talking to my daughter's karate instructor some time back on the same topic.
Sensei Ravi Carvalho (raclo) by any chance?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:10   #358
BHPian

I think we first need to finalize the venue . I know the CCD at Bellandur but am ok with Agara one too. So let's finalze this and meet up and decide the further course of action. Seems like these guys are getting bolder by the day. Pretty soon more people will join the fun if we don't stop this now.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 13:11   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sensei Ravi Carvalho (raclo) by any chance?
Yes, Sensei Ravi is the person i was referring to.

Last edited by Rajiv-Bang : 1st July 2010 at 13:14.
Rajiv-Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 14:30   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Last Saturday my friend who works with me became the prey of these infamous biker duo - I am not sure the bike was a black pulsar - he could not remember the bike, or any details.

What happened is:
He was coming to pick a friend from Kodichikkanahalli, to attend my friends housewarming. The time was around 12.30 PM, soon after crossing the Vijayabank layout junction (EK retail junction), towards kodichikanahalli, .....
That is really scary. So this bikers gang is spreading all over the city now. Just like some gang devices a strategy and all other goons of other places follow through. I stay right at the junction at vijaya enclave and have always felt that this place is infested with shady gangs waiting for a prey. Everyday I pass this really busy stretch of road from my house to the bilekhalli junction and I see bikers on yamaha rx100s trying out all sorts of tricks with their bikes at high speed. So many times they've just missed hitting my car and what follows through is the look and a 'hrrgggeeiiiiiiiiiiiiii' !! The only way to counter is too give the hrrgggeeiiiiiiiiiiiiii back with a much coarser and thicker voice and try to zoom past.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote