Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th July 2010, 11:24   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVictor View Post
I yelled out for help and the cowards outside ignored me and walked away.
And this is exactly what gives those muggers, the courage to mug.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 11:56   #392
BHPian

Considering that this took place near the Jayadeva flyover which is a busy area, it is scary that the muggers weren't worried about anyone stopping them. Shows how these guys are taking advantage of our apathy towards fellow citizens.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 12:22   #393
BHPian

Sad to hear of your experience Victor, unfortunately we live in a corrupt administration where the cops very well know who is carrying out the activities, but choose to remain silent.

Either one needs to be lucky & patient to deal with these type of happenings or have some influence in the right places.

Very sad situation indeed, do be careful next time while traveling by Auto.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 12:58   #394
BHPian

This is really sad and talks about the lapse. The most hurting part is that Victor has never got any help inspite of being in the broad day light in one of the busy areas with people standing around. We cannot blame administration or police for every thing, but on this instance, should blame the civilians who were standing and looking at the crime as if watching a movie. There was an incident like this which I heard some time back on the magadi road after the nice road junction and that was in the middle of the night. So understandable, but this is sick.
Indian Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 13:03   #395

Guys, this incident happened with another person. I got these details on a forwarded email.
iVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 13:48   #396

Few things I always make sure when I have to take an auto or when I'm seeing someone off in auto. First of all, I always talk to the bugger for about 2-3 minutes about where to go, how much I will pay etc. Next I note down his name, vehicle number and verify the license plate pasted inside n take its pic usually when he is watching, especially when someone else - colleague etc - is going in it. Besides this, I try be watchful over his behavior, meter reading [ always wrong ], body language, his way of speaking etc.

It is very important to have aggression and continue to show it as long as one has not reached the destination. I have blasted more than a few rick buggers more than a few times when they tried to act smart. Though the above incident is serious, it might have been prevented had the person been observant and aggressive in the first place.

Given the ugly menace created by the auto drivers, bike gangs and road rage creators, it's in the best interests to have a watchful eye around and get engaged when someone else is in dire need as well instead of vrooming off like nothing is happening.

/Peace
iVictor
iVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 19:17   #397
BHPian

^Wow!
Everyone will become a spy if they will start doing all these! With practicing this, we can become so powerful that we can virtually drive the auto driver to the place we want to go
jokes apart! I'm saying we just need to be a bit alert. However, if we are living around the people who dont even bother if someone is really in need, I dont think we can do anything apart from responding to them in the same language! Soon will be a time to apply for gun license. I hope we dont have to do it!

And yes, 'Peace' doesnt help all the time. Krishna was a wise man! We need a war; it could bring revolutions every single time! check that out!

Last edited by Ketan : 7th July 2010 at 19:21.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 19:27   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
if we are living around the people who dont even bother if someone is really in need, I dont think we can do anything apart from responding to them in the same language!

I dont think that's the right approach to life. The way bad qualities are contagious, so are the good ones...may be not as contagious as bad ones.
I feel, if we continue to spread the good values, some day it will catch up with others too.

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 19:38   #399
Senior - BHPian

Mugging and duping by Auto rickshaw drivers is not uncommon in Bangalore or anywhere else. There used to be a dark era in peaceful Pune where early morning railway arrival passengers where whisked off to a lonely location and the driver with a few accomplises used to hit the head of the victim to knock out his consiousness. But this was bundled by the Mah Po within weeks of this coming to light and in the papers.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 21:01   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I dont think that's the right approach to life. The way bad qualities are contagious, so are the good ones...may be not as contagious as bad ones.
I feel, if we continue to spread the good values, some day it will catch up with others too.

Regards,
Appreciate your thoughts. 'Good' exists only because of 'Bad' same as Light and Darkness. Accept both, the whole. They are going to coexist forever. We just have to decide whether we want to be at winning side or otherwise.
Sorry, it was a bit OT and philosophy as well

Lets continue to share our contact details and keep your friends / relatives contacts handy, as I said earlier, a couple of incidents where they find it difficult to get out and they are gone. Just need to make that happen.

Last edited by Ketan : 7th July 2010 at 21:15.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:08   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Victor has posted an e-mail forward. Hopefully, he was not the victim.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 22:16   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, if we are living around the people who dont even bother if someone is really in need, I dont think we can do anything apart from responding to them in the same language
While I definitely have an intent to help out people in distress and have done so in accident situations when no one was taking any initiative and were just mute spectators, I am not sure how one person can help a person being attacked by 5-6 muggers unless I know some form of martial arts!!! The only thing i can think of is to call the cops as i know that any bystanders will be just that and wont even come to aid me or anyone else trying to help the person in trouble. Thoughts anyone??
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 22:42   #403
BHPian

^I was standing in a queue for ferry to Swami Vivekananda temple at KanniyaKumari early this Jan-Feb. I heard some noise from a bit of distance, I saw few security guards were in strong argument with a guy (with his wife) in the queue some distance behiend me. They started beating him, the guy got his spectacles falling and looked like he is going to get lot more of it. Huge crowd in that area - everyone's watching.

I jumped off the queue (not inspired by any south indian heros yet - dont take me wrong), got in the middle and trying to keep the security guards away from the guy - I dont know what the matter is, I just wanted to make sure they are not going to hurt him badly, I couldnt stand there for more than a couple minutes, guards started pushing me, I was pulled away by my father since he didnt want me to share what the other guy is going to get.

Suddenly a gentleman from a car parked nearby coming out, it seemed he was a court megistrate and ordered guards to behave and wrap it up. People around still watching and waiting their turn to get into the ferry..

You are not responsible to change the world around, but if it becomes unbearable, more of instinct and less of thinking will help, at most you will share a few punches with the other guy, but you will leave with good feelings
Old 7th July 2010, 22:53   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
While I definitely have an intent to help out people in distress and have done so in accident situations when no one was taking any initiative and were just mute spectators, I am not sure how one person can help a person being attacked by 5-6 muggers unless I know some form of martial arts!!! The only thing i can think of is to call the cops as i know that any bystanders will be just that and wont even come to aid me or anyone else trying to help the person in trouble. Thoughts anyone??
Very well said. I do not question the honest intent of the bystander who stares on like a mute spectator and move on. Looking at it objectively, if we read the mind of that person it'll be like

1. What if I go out there and no one comes to my support. Thats just me and the victim against a 4-5 armed gundas. Definitely not a very comfortable situation for someone whose wife and kids are waiting for him at home.

2. What if this fight is an old gang rivalry sort of a thing. May be the guy who's getting bashed up is another rowdy sheeter from a gang and is just paying up for something.

There are many IFs to be answered but what an unarmed person all by himself can do is note down the number of the auto or taxi. Follow the vehicle keeping it in a safe range and try to help the victim once these goons are gone.(There's a chance of point number 2 getting cleared here once he speaks to the victim.) Take him to the police, furnish all the details and be available for further questioning if needed by the police.

All these will work only in an ideal scenario. Police more often than not have all the information with them. They just have other things which they consider more important than saving the day for a powerless citizen.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 23:24   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was pulled away by my father since he didnt want me to share what the other guy is going to get.
Your dad did good IMO. If you can salvage the situation,good, be a part. If you are going to get hurt be verbal only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
1. What if I go out there and no one comes to my support. Thats just me and the victim against a 4-5 armed gundas. Definitely not a very comfortable situation for someone whose wife and kids are waiting for him at home.

2. What if this fight is an old gang rivalry sort of a thing. May be the guy who's getting bashed up is another rowdy sheeter from a gang and is just paying up for something.

There are many IFs to be answered but what an unarmed person all by himself can do is note down the number of the auto or taxi.
There are sometimes very obvious situations where you know who is the culprit and who is the terrorist. E.g On the underpass near Jayadeva flyover once I saw a young couple fighting with a rick driver. I knew who was wrong and who was right. Its a sixth sense or something. In black or white it looks bad to judge but the situation speaks volumes.

I am reminded of a very important aspect of my faith. There are 3 levels of it.
1) You see something wrong happening try to stop it with action and power given to you.

2) You see something wrong happening and you do not have the power then stop it verbally atleast.

3) If you see something bad happening and if you don't feel anything in your heart, which is the least level of faith, then you have no other level to go down beyond. This is the last level.

Hence everyone should try to make a difference, safely.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 7th July 2010 at 23:27.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote