Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 15:31   #496
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I do not have any answers to any questions related to this as I got the information from the mailing group. It would be good if someone who had already complained to Insp. Rajesh, goes and checks with him the details and posts it here.

But I agree with you all, we should still be careful and always on guard.
I doubt the authenticity of the mail. it may be a hoax mail just like many bank phishing mails, so that people will lower their guard. To me it appears these guys are reasonably educated and know how to us net also. some of them may be following this and similar threads in different online forums and spread such rumor through mail.

If it is true it would have definitely found a place either in TOI and its new cousin Daily mirror
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 17:13   #497
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
.......To me it appears these guys are reasonably educated and know how to us net also. some of them may be following this and similar threads in different online forums and spread such rumor through mail.......
I really doubt that. Although the mail might not be authentic, but suspecting that the gang is behind these mails! C'mon now

If they were really so net savvy, they would have joined some IT company instead of toiling so hard every night and day in the streets.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 18:27   #498
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Ok seems like there are more copycats out there now.
I was returning home from work today on the ORR near Intel at around 5:20 PM. I was on the service road and had just crossed the Maruti Showroom ( Pratham Motors) and was nearing the Hyundai Showroom. I normally drive with the windows up, but since the weather was pleasant, I had opened the windows a bit which was probably a mistake as these guys could see i was alone. 2 guys on a scooter overtook me from the left side and slowed down ahead of me. The guy sitting on the rear signalled me to stop. It seemed like these guys were a little new coz they seemed a bit tense. Immediately, I waved my hand at them telling them to get lost, and closed my windows and drove off quicker. I was approaching the next junction which was quite busy and i could see in my RVM that these guys had turned back.
This is it, I'm not taking out my car to go to work again . It's not very far anyway and i would have taken my bike if not for the rain in the morning.
Guys, just remember not to leave your windows open while driving and make sure they are tinted. And don't stop for these guys whatever happens.

Last edited by Newpunter : 25th August 2010 at 18:28.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 21:21   #499
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
I really doubt that. Although the mail might not be authentic, but suspecting that the gang is behind these mails! C'mon now

If they were really so net savvy, they would have joined some IT company instead of toiling so hard every night and day in the streets.
Never underestimate any one. Greed knows no boundaries. Easy money attracts all and sundry
Some of the well paid IT guys were caught recently in some bank hacking scam.
one small scale guy in viziawada created a email account in the name of euro lottery and cheated even the CM of AP Chandra babu and also some banks by taking loans to the extent of Rs 30 crores by claiming he has won 80 odd crores about 8 years back much before the emails some of us are getting about winning some xyz lottery
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 21:31   #500
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 556
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Never underestimate any one. Greed knows no boundaries. Easy money attracts all and sundry
Some of the well paid IT guys were caught recently in some bank hacking scam.
one small scale guy in viziawada created a email account in the name of euro lottery and cheated even the CM of AP Chandra babu and also some banks by taking loans to the extent of Rs 30 crores by claiming he has won 80 odd crores about 8 years back much before the emails some of us are getting about winning some xyz lottery
Agreed, but IT guys would rather use their brains to cheat and get money rather than do any hard work like beating up someone for cash. You probably don't realize that most IT guys including myself are inherently quite lazy
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 02:55   #501
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Have there been any new cases reported in the recent past?
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 11:17   #502
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Have there been any new cases reported in the recent past?
Some guys attempted to mug me yesterday, as i had said in my previous post. But these were definitely not the Pulsar gang and were probably some copycats and were driving an old Bajaj Scooter. I think i will go on that route again today on my 2 wheeler and see if i can find those guys again.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 11:20   #503
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Some guys attempted to mug me yesterday, as i had said in my previous post. But these were definitely not the Pulsar gang and were probably some copycats and were driving an old Bajaj Scooter. I think i will go on that route again today on my 2 wheeler and see if i can find those guys again.
Did you report this incident to the police. Although nothing happened for which you can lodge an FIR, but its always prudent to report such incidents to the police so they are at least aware that something can brew up in that locality.
What they do with the information is another story though.
atrisarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 12:38   #504
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 516
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Ok seems like there are more copycats out there now.
I was returning home from work today on the ORR near Intel at around 5:20 PM.
Outer Ring Road - 5:20 pm. ???

These people are gaining more and more confidence and courage to do this in peak hour on a busy road.
Gone are the days when mugging happened on lone roads such as Jail road, Haralur road in off-peak hours.

Where are we safe?
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 13:45   #505
BHPian
 
Anandg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Dude, good reflex but isn't this heights? It seems there is "Gunda-raaj" everywhere. You just feel so helpless some times.

The ATM scene is something most of us would be aware. I go only to ATM's at night which are at a posh area with security guards.

I do wonder why we people blame these petty theives (I am sarcastic here).
when we allow (if we ever vote) these politicians to loot and rape this nation of crores of rupees; these city theives are proxy children of these politicians who want to grow following their path. Check background of most politicians and they too have grown in the same fashion (somewhat similar not exactly same). May be you might find big photoframes of corrupt politicians in these conman / cheaters homes. This is how they grow and this is from who they get protection from; a growing nexus that is not good for this country.
All we can do is be alert at all times. You would never find your future written anywhere in this earth atleast!
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 20:25   #506
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Outer Ring Road - 5:20 pm. ???

These people are gaining more and more confidence and courage to do this in peak hour on a busy road.
Gone are the days when mugging happened on lone roads such as Jail road, Haralur road in off-peak hours.

Where are we safe?
I think it was the timing that saved me, coz the only area which had less traffic on the entire road was the stretch between the Maruti and Hyundai showrooms, on the service road. And this is exactly where they tried to stop me, and when i didn't stop , they didn't chase me and turned back, as there was a lot of traffic near the Hyundai showroom just ahead.

I didn't report to the police coz nothing really happened. I might look like a paranoid fool if i go to the cops saying someone signalled me to stop and did nothing when i didn't stop. But yeah, after this incident, I am not going alone on this road in my car unless i can't avoid it at all.

Last edited by Newpunter : 26th August 2010 at 20:27.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 11:17   #507
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 162
Thanked: 18 Times
Default The way my boss was robbed of in blr!

Hey guys

I am in bangalore now and was talking to my boss casually regarding the muggings in bangalore and he was surprised when I spoke on the same.On asking why he seemed so surprised he said just 2 weeks back he had experienced the same.
His story in brief:
He was in Lavelle road near cafe coffee day and was about to enter his car when a couple stopped him and told him they were visiting bangalore and someone had pickpotted the guys wallet and he had no money to go to where he was staying with his relatives.They asked my boss where he was was going and then said that was where they wanted to go and asked him to drop them and my unsuspecting boss told them to get into the car.The guy sat in front and the girl in the behind seat.
After a while, the guy started talking to my boss and told him that he wanted money else the lady behind would tear her clothes and say my boss had attempted to ra** her.
My boss panicked and he ended paying 15k withdrawing it from the atm.

He never reported/complained to the cops.Just wondering how many more people these couple would have cheated in the same way and these cases are never reported as the victim would think about their reputation/family and take the route to paying up and moving on.

These couple were very well dressed and did not look like any lower class/uneducated people.

Glad never heard of the same in chennai till date.

The above is only a reproduction of what I head.
rajinibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 17:50   #508
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
They asked my boss where he was was going and then said that was where they wanted to go and asked him to drop them and my unsuspecting boss told them to get into the car.
First of all, sad to hear that your boss had to go through this.

How could your boss trust some stranger couple and let them get into his car?

If some stranger couple walks into his house and say some story and they request him to let them stay in his house overnight, will he allow them?
I don't think so.
The car is no different from your his own house.

The smart thing to do would have been to give them some 100 or 200 bucks and tell them to take an auto rickshaw and go.

Moral here is that one should never ever allow anybody get into your car no matter what. Your own safety is more important than anything else.
coolfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 18:32   #509
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore / Toronto, Canada
Posts: 154
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
If some stranger couple walks into his house and say some story and they request him to let them stay in his house overnight, will he allow them?
I don't think so.
The car is no different from your his own house.
Giving a ride to an apparently innocuous stranger couple is different from letting the same couple stay overnight in your house. There are plenty of reasons, couple of the important ones being:
1) the ride is not going to be overnight (most likely)
2) while they are with you in the car very likely they can't steal anything from your car as long as they get off right at the end of the ride provided you've not left any tiny valuables around.
This is perhaps why people assume such acts are just kind ones and many times won't think of any potential trouble.
Also, by the tokens above a car is way different from one's own house in the context of discussion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
Moral here is that one should never ever allow anybody get into your car no matter what. Your own safety is more important than anything else.
Very well said!
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 19:22   #510
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 792 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
He never reported/complained to the cops.Just wondering how many more people these couple would have cheated in the same way and these cases are never reported as the victim would think about their reputation/family and take the route to paying up and moving on.

These couple were very well dressed and did not look like any lower class/uneducated people.

Glad never heard of the same in chennai till date.

The above is only a reproduction of what I head.
It is very sad to hear such stories, I believe one should not hesitate to approach police or media to report such incidents.

I am sorry for your boss, but it is better to be considered rude by not helping strangers rather than risking one's safety.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An attempted mugging @ chamundi Hill Mysore : Punto takes hits from a Dagger . wind_rider Street Experiences 50 23rd August 2011 17:55
Bangalore,Gear up for more Chaos - 7000 more autos will invade city roads dadu Shifting gears 46 13th February 2009 20:52
120 and more skidding incidents in 2 days dkhatau Street Experiences 4 10th June 2008 22:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks