Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 21st September 2010, 13:11   #571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Moment you see someone placing their hands inside your car, start rolling up the window. They will pull it back scared that their hands will be stuck.
What if he/she gets hurt? You won't even get any support from others.
Or if he/she gets angry and decides to scratch the car? What can you do?Will you be able to chase in a signal?

Better and safest option is to roll-up when you see such people around.
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 13:14   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
What if he/she gets hurt? You won't even get any support from others.
Or if he/she gets angry and decides to scratch the car? What can you do?Will you be able to chase in a signal?

Better and safest option is to roll-up when you see such people around.
Scratching the car is not that easy. You got to have a sharp object and real guts. Who caress if he/she gets angry by the way? It is his fault, let him be angry or happy, doesn't matter to me anyways.

If he gets hurt, it is due to his stupidity. I do not need other's support if I haven't done anything wrong.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 13:58   #573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Well today after many years I was approached by a Marathi family for the famous Marathi scam in front of the Citibank ATM in Koramangala.

Anyway the youth asked if I know Hindi or Marathi and I replied "No" in Hindi and walked away.
I've done the same myself. The look on their face then was priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
While this is not really a scam, what about the other phenomenon of transvestite/ eunuch type characters that seem to have flooded into Bangalore over the last 3 years and have started making life miserable for the public by their extortionate tactics?
Earlier there was a crackdown on the lot who used to operate at the Iblur junction on Sarjapur road. Those days, i had no car and used the bike for communting. Knowing about the menace that lay ahead, i used to stop the bike a lot before the junction if i saw that the signal was red. Only after it green and traffic started moving did i move towards the junction.

About keeping the windows rolled up in the car, I do that all the time. Despite this, there was one of them at the Marathalli junction who tried to open the door of my car seeing the rolled up windows. Needless to say, the door too was locked from the inside. It shouted some abuses at me and went on to find the next target.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 17:22   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Despite this, there was one of them at the Marathalli junction who tried to open the door of my car seeing the rolled up windows. Needless to say, the door too was locked from the inside. It shouted some abuses at me and went on to find the next target.
Well, we have to be extra careful, if we switch off the engine in a signal, central locking unlocks the car doors. So either we have to turn the ignition back (without crank) or manually lock the doors (by pressing driver door lock switch). I have seen people being harassed because their doors could be opened as they shut the engine.
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 17:54   #575
Senior - BHPian

^^

+1 to that. I stopped switching off the engine at red signal after reading these incidents.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 15:48   #576
Senior - BHPian

Got the below as forward, not sure if it is true but surely seems like the criminals are coming out with new ideas..

This is happening now!

Sad, especially if you are inclined to 'help' people...

While driving on a rural end of the roadway on Thursday morning, I saw
an infant car seat on the side of the road with a blanket draped over it. For
whatever reason, I did not stop, even though I had all kinds of thoughts running
through my head. But when I got to my destination, I called the Police and they
were going to check it out. But, this is what the Police advised even before
they went out there to check....

"There are several things to be aware of ... gangs and thieves are now
plotting different ways to get a person (mostly women)to stop their vehicle and get
out of the car.

"There is a gang initiation reported by the local Police where gangs are
placing a car seat by the road...with a fake baby in it...waiting for a woman, of course, to stop and check on the abandoned
baby.

"Note that the location of this car seat is usually beside a wooded or
grassy
(field) area and the person -- woman -- will be dragged into the
woods, beaten
and raped, and usually left for dead. If it's a man, they're usually
beaten and
robbed and maybe left for dead, too.

DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON!!!

"IF YOU ARE DRIVING AT NIGHT AND EGGS ARE THROWN AT YOUR WINDSCREEN, DO
NOT
STOP TO CHECK THE CAR, DO NOT OPERATE THE WIPER AND DO NOT SPRAY ANY
WATER
BECAUSE EGGS MIXED
WITH WATER BECOME MILKY AND BLOCK YOUR VISION UP TO 92.5%, AND YOU ARE
THEN
FORCED TO STOP BESIDE THE ROAD AND BECOME A VICTIM OF THESE CRIMINALS.

THIS IS A NEW TECHNIQUE USED BY GANGS, SO PLEASE INFORM YOUR FRIENDS AND
RELATIVES.

THESE ARE DESPERATE TIMES AND THESE ARE UNSAVOURY INDIVIDUALS WHO WILL
TAKE
DESPERATE MEASURES TO GET WHAT THEY WANT."
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 16:17   #577
BHPian

Thanks Lohith. Good to know this, though sad. Its a shame that the gangs are using these tricks and stopping the real needy ones from any help.

Let me ask this as a corollary - what would one of us do, if we are stuck in a genuine situation? Say, on the side of a road, without money and you need to get to your home. What would we do - genuinely, to get the help?
Driver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 16:21   #578
Team-BHP Support

I remembered reading about the egg on the windscreen thing.
Google found some strong arguments on why it does not work.

Quote:
As plausible as it sounds... there are a couple of points that make eggs an implausible weapon for robbers.

1. If an egg hits a moving car, it will just fly off the top, leaving only a relatively thin trail of egg white and yolk.

2. The robbers will need a LOT of eggs to really smear up your windshield.

3. Unlike forks or egg beaters which beat air into the egg to make it milky-white, wipers would just wipe the egg white and yolk away.

4. Even if you have bad wipers, smearing the egg white and yolk on the windshield should just blur what you see. It is unlikely to turn white and block your vision by 92.5%.

5. For the robbers to pelt your car with eggs, they would have to drive in front of you. Imagine them throwing eggs one by one at your car - only a fool would not swerve or brake after the first egg goes out. Imagine them throwing a whole tray at a time - even more implausible as most of the eggs would probably not hit you.

6. If you see someone throwing eggs at you - won't you call the police???

7. Even if you have to stop because your windshield is smeared, most people would just stay in the car and call the police. What can the robbers do?

8. It would be much simpler to just knock your car in the rear. EVERYONE would naturally stop by the side to confront the driver who just hit them. In fact, this is what the robbers are doing.

In short, I think the egg throwing method is just too much hassle to be true. There are far better and easier ways to get you to stop your car... and even more importantly, OUT of your car so they can rob you.
You can't clean away smashed eggs on the windscreen with the wiper and water - Tech ARP Forums

Also http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/eggthrow.asp
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 16:21   #579
Senior - BHPian

@lohithrao, that egg thing is a hoax mail that is circulated far and wide. Please see this and this links. It is not as effective as we think. Maybe throwing a paint filled balloon or something like that will have more impact.

Last edited by vasoo : 27th September 2010 at 16:23.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 16:51   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Maybe throwing a paint filled balloon or something like that will have more impact.
Dude, as it is the thieves are smart, don't give them any new ideas
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 17:00   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Dude, as it is the thieves are smart, don't give them any new ideas
I did not mention to use a "quick-dry oil-based paint meant for metallic surfaces", did I ? .

Btw, I recently talked to the cops in HSR layout police station and apparently those folks has been released on bail now! So be careful.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 17:19   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Btw, I recently talked to the cops in HSR layout police station and apparently those folks has been released on bail now! So be careful.
Doesn't matter if they are released on bail anyway as they seem to have already inspired a lot of copycats. I doubt they will try the scam while on bail, so it is the copy cats that we need to scared of.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 14:05   #583
BHPian

I saw some people around an i10 last Friday afternoon at around 4 opp to Kanti sweets on Sarjapura Rd (kasavannahalli main rd corner).
There was a lady driver and may be her maid at the back, quite a few people out there arguing with her.

I stopped my bike, went inside and asked lady what happened!
She said, "I came from that direction (pointing to kasavannahalli main rd!) and a guy was going right in the middle of the road so its obvious that he will be hit and fall"

I asked where is the guy?,
Other couple of guys besides me interrupting, asking lady to call the police guys she claimed she knows and all that talk, I asked them to let me talk..
she said "He is sitting somewhere behiend"
I saw a guy a few meters away from the car sitting on steps of some shop out there.

before, I try to get more of the scene and try to understand much, I see lady is not even interested in talking to anyone and she said I know DIG and other cops, I can handle this and continued to argue, I dont know what she thought of me, someone with lots of time and just interested to know the scene on the road and nothing much..

Not sure if this is the same scam or soemthing else,, but before I start moving off the place, I told her that this could be a well known scam, make sure you keep the door and the window glass closed (she kept the window glass keep opening and closing as and when she wanted to talk) or just open enough, a few cms for conversation.
I found her to be a brave lady just thought of leaving the place.

I saw the guy stood up and walking towards the car, he had a helmet in his hand (if I'm not wrong) and some dirt on his hand and clothes, looked like he had a fall.
I moved away on my bike, didnt want to add to the crowd being gathered there in short time.

Later, I thought I should have stopped for few more minutes and ensured its not the same folks or copy cats trying to make some quick money out there, but then thought of that brave lady, the way she was handling folks around. Hopefully they settled it right.

Last edited by Ketan : 10th October 2010 at 14:13.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 14:20   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post

Later, I thought I should have stopped for few more minutes and ensured its not the same folks or copy cats trying to make some quick money out there, but then thought of that brave lady, the way she was handling folks around. Hopefully they settled it right.
I would have stopped there till the end to make sure its not the scam. But nevertheless, what you did was commendable enough.
buntydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 16:13   #585
BHPian

Yes, I thought so. I will do that next time, unless someone (whom I'm willing to help) really doesnt want me to interrupt
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote