Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th January 2011, 18:54   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, here is a pic which i had clicked on Sarjapur road on the 29th of December at 3:59PM. In the pic you can find a Pulsar with the number plate in Kannada and two goon-like morons atop it. Here, they can be seen riding beside a cyclist who happens to be female.
Did you take any further steps in that situation to see whether the female was really in trouble, apart from clicking a pic?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:17   #677
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Got a third advisory via email.

BEWARE OF VEHICLE MUGGING
MODUS OPERANDI !!!!!!

* Miscreants stop your vehicle on a pretext that you caused an
accident.
* While on the move miscreants continuously honk with an intention of
stopping your vehicle
* Without warning the miscreants tend to force their way into your
car.
* Demand compensation by high handed approach and intimidation.
* If you don't have cash, miscreants compel you to draw money from
the ATM.
* Usually they target a person driving alone in the vehicle.

HOW TO PREVENT AND ASSIST POLICE IN NABBING THE MUGGERS?
DO's
* Be bold and don't panic when confronted by vehicular muggers.
* Raise an alarm to attract attention of public.
* Take the photograph of the miscreant's vehicle number plate
discreetly with your cell phone.
* Keep a pepper spray to defend yourself.
* If you are smart / tactful enough and can engage them in a
conversation, inform the police by way of SMS or call till
enforcement authorities reach you.
* When being chased by miscreants divert the vehicle to a crowded
place to seek help.
DON’Ts:
* Do not panic and give away your valuables.
* Do not unlock your vehicle even if you have to keep the engine
running.
* Do not allow yourself to be intimidated and handle the situation
diplomatically.
* Do not risk your life if options are limited.
* Do not get down from the vehicle nor allow any stranger to get into
your vehicle.

Emergency Numbers

Bangalore Police Control Room
Inspector : +91-9448448833 North - +91-80-22943434
Sub-Inspector : +91-9972833003 South - +91-80-22943111
Crime Squad : +91-9845668681 +91-980399551 East - +91-80-22943535

Cheetah Patrolling Team : +91-902660986 West - +91-80-22943232 +91-9980834703
BTM Police Station - +91-80-22942569

Hyderabad : All Law & Order Police Stations
Delhi : Delhi Police Helplines | Police Helplines in Delhi |Phone Number of Delhi Police
Noida : http://www.noidapolice.com/index_findstscvi.php
Gurgaon : PoliceStations
Mumbai Mumbai Police - Important Telephone Numbers

"Remember the miscreants are equally scared but they pretend to be courageous"
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:22   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You still find many 2 wheelers with the number written in Kannada, despite this being illegal as per the MVA. with the cops being more interested in out-of-state registered vehicles and road tax, this is of no importance to them, it would seem.
Benny, r u sure its illegal? I think its not illegal to have the number in local language. Right?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:28   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Benny, r u sure its illegal? I think its not illegal to have the number in local language. Right?

I am sure its illegal and this is why:

The Motor Vehicles Act , Rule-50(2)(d) of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, states that the “letters of the registration mark should be in English and figures should be in Arabic numerals.”
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:32   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A few such wannabe thugs under the wheels, and this mugging problem will be solved for good. Time to reclaim your life and stop running scared.
Well said, though I am not sure which is better, getting mugged and paying up or risk suffering the fate of the Jet Airways pilot at Delhi.
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:33   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The Motor Vehicles Act , Rule-50(2)(d) of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, states that the “letters of the registration mark should be in English and figures should be in Arabic numerals.”
I think this was discussed elsewhere in the forum before. The States are allowed to make additional rules to the MVA. And it seems that Karnataka has a rule whereby you can have the number plate in Kannada. Ofcourse this would be valid only as long as you are in Karnataka and the number plates would be illegal if you go to another state.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:35   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A few such wannabe thugs under the wheels, and this mugging problem will be solved for good. Time to reclaim your life and stop running scared.
It is a difficult choice. Is it better to get mugged and pay up , or run the risk of suffering the fate of the Jet Airways pilot at Delhi ?
adnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:43   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Sorry to hijack this thread.

But, I have seen couple of RTO's in Tamilnadu, where it advises to put the fonts in tamil. Also, says about the font size, and mapping for the alphabets.

Strange.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 20:17   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
It is a difficult choice. Is it better to get mugged and pay up , or run the risk of suffering the fate of the Jet Airways pilot at Delhi ?
Neither option is good. Taking a life in a fit of rage or submitting to wrong practices/extortion. Stand up for yourself and rights no matter even if you are humiliated or roughed up a little bit. If there is threat to life then parting away with money and valuables is most sensible.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 23:53   #685
BHPian

There has been lot of discussion going on about these incidents at my workplace. Several people from my company got mugged, and there have been a dozen of FIRs registered already.

Only couple of days back a guy from my company got mugged. The muggers took 18K from him near Marathahalli.

As a precaution the HR department has mentioned the same points. They also have asked every employee to keep the nearest police station numbers handy. It seems HSR and couple of other police stations where the cases are registered have dedicated an officer with a small group. Their cell numbers are mentioned in the mail.

i will copy the police station numbers in the next post.
KishoreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 00:15   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Neither option is good. Taking a life in a fit of rage or submitting to wrong practices/extortion. Stand up for yourself and rights no matter even if you are humiliated or roughed up a little bit. If there is threat to life then parting away with money and valuables is most sensible.
At last, someone sees sense here. Running someone over ( even if he is a crook or thief or murderer) should not be advocated here on a public forum. If you choose to do it, it is your personal choice, I wonder how a mod here can suggest that even in jest (there was no jest in his post). shocking
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 10:22   #687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Did you take any further steps in that situation to see whether the female was really in trouble, apart from clicking a pic?
Yes. I slowed down and was behind them till they were away from the cyclist. This was despite me being with my family. Hope that clears your doubt?!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 11:14   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I slowed down and was behind them till they were away from the cyclist. This was despite me being with my family. Hope that clears your doubt?!
Good job.
Of course, being a witness is of great help to the victim.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 18:21   #689
Senior - BHPian

Today got a mailer from office security regarding the same and I thought of checking out this thread. Shocked to see that these nuisance has picked up speed again and in full swing. I was under the impression that these thugs were been already caught and booked by the law. Anyway, will be careful while commuting once I'm back to Bangalore. I did have kept a small iron bar in my car but not sure how good it would in this type of situation.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 19:32   #690
Senior - BHPian

Carrying a weapon (like bats, rods, knives etc) is not really advisable, reasons being:

1. You'll most probably be outnumbered, so it won't be adequate.

2. A bigger risk is of your weapon getting snatched and used on you/your vehicle.

3. Once you introduce a weapon to the scene, there's no way to tell how things will progress thereon. Would you be willing/equipped to bear out a potentially life-threatening brawl?

4. There would be legal consequences, and even a mugger still has rights against grievous harm/attempted murder that you might inflict on him.

The best thing is to keep your wits around you, not panic, and get out with as little damage as possible, physical or financial or both. If it's a choice between your valuables and your life, don't try to be a hero. n-on-1 fights are won only in the movies. Don't learn it the hard way.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote