Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th January 2011, 17:38   #706
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

I wondering will a fake gun help. At night its difficult to distinguish between fake and real, right? Even if somehow they get their hands on it, you can buy a new gun for 20 rs
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 17:59   #707
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I wondering will a fake gun help. At night its difficult to distinguish between fake and real, right? Even if somehow they get their hands on it, you can buy a new gun for 20 rs
Just hope nobody dares you to fire it
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 18:14   #708
BHPian

Name:  p2.bmp
Views: 2869
Size:  320.4 KBApparently these are pictures of two muggers released by HAL police station. This is part of the communication sent by our company HR.

Hopefully this will help

Last edited by sriturl : 14th January 2011 at 18:16.
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 14:05   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Attachment 483430Apparently these are pictures of two muggers released by HAL police station. This is part of the communication sent by our company HR.

Hopefully this will help
Nayyu looks like a politician

BTW, how were they caught? any information on that? or it's just some poor fellow charged for every crime happening around for an eye wash.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 14:55   #710
Senior - BHPian

Every few days you hear lots of robbers being caught and crores worth of money and valuables confiscated. Looks like every robber, dacoit is attracted to Bengaluru.

Yesterday they caught daytime beggars, night time robbers from UP. You have to wonder about the increase in number of beggars from North of the country. You can find so many of them at traffic signals now a days.

Last edited by srishiva : 15th January 2011 at 14:56.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 15:03   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Every few days you hear lots of robbers being caught and crores worth of money and valuables confiscated. Looks like every robber, dacoit is attracted to Bengaluru.

Yesterday they caught daytime beggars, night time robbers from UP. You have to wonder about the increase in number of beggars from North of the country. You can find so many of them at traffic signals now a days.

Why are you so sure they are from North? Lets not get back to the same old topic. Bad people are bad people, they are not from north or south..!!
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 00:34   #712
BHPian

From: A techie a day was this gang's target - The Times of India

Reproducing in full below

Quote:
A three-member gang which targeted techies along the IT corridor was arrested by police on nakabandi duty on Infantry Road. Their luck ran out after cops noticed the techie trussed up under the backseat of the car.

Shivakumar, Purushotham and Vasudev of Varthur would target a techie every night, between 10.30 pm and 11 pm. They would drive around near IT companies, looking for employees waiting to catch a bus home.

While two persons in the car pretended to be passengers, the driver would offer the techie a drop. If the techie assumed it was just another cab and got in, the three would threaten him with a razor and drive out to an isolated spot.

There, they would rob him of his ATM cards and drive to a kiosk, force him to give his pin number and withdraw the maximum amount they could in a day. Then, they would wait till midnight, so they could withdraw the maximum amount again for the next day. Then they would return the card and release their victim.

On Wednesday night, they picked up Srinivas Koraprola, a techie working with TCS, at the Silk Board junction in Madiwala.

After withdrawing Rs 25,000 from his Axis Bank ATM, the three decided to have dinner in Shivajinagar, before withdrawing money for the second time. When they reached Infantry Road, they came across `nakabandi' by Commercial Street police, who were checking for stolen vehicles. While Shivakumar, who was driving, showed the vehicle papers, sub-inspector Mallesh noticed two legs from the backseat window. Growing suspicious, he arrested the three.

Srinivas, who was dumped under the backseat, told police that the three had kidnapped him. During interrogation, police realized that the trio had been operating for over a month and had robbed techies every day.

Their favourite spots were bus stops near Sony World on Koramangala Ring Road, Silk Board junction, Mahadevapura ring road, Whitefield, where techies come out of their offices to catch buses or autos home.

"So far, we have solved six cases and have information about the same gang robbing another dozen people. We are trying to establish the owner of a ring and a laptop also. In one case, a techie protested and the robbers injured him with a razor. He needed 26 stitches on his back,'' said Fraser Town ACP B B Ashok Kumar.
[COLOR=#000000]

[/COLOR]
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 19:27   #713
BHPian

Exclamation Averted a possible extortion

Hello everyone,

Last Saturday i.e 22nd of January 2011, I was returning home from Marathalli to Basvangudi in my car at around 11:30pm. I took the Agara lake flyover(newly constructed) and on exiting the flyover somewhere in between the exit and BDA signal of HSR layout two guys on a bike came close, knocked on my window and asked me to stop and told me that I had knocked down some pedestrian on my way. I knew I hadn't hit anyone as there was very less traffic that day. I felt nervous but came to my senses and thought they're trying to play a prank on me or something. I immediately downshifted to 2nd gear and ripped my way. They couldn't catch-up or may be they didn't want to. As soon as I reached Basavanagudi, I went to police station and narrated this to a cop whom I knew as I had previously filed a mobile theaft case with them. He told me it is a comman modus operandi of theives in that area. He also told in case I had hit someone unknowingly and if someone files a case, I'll get to know when the cops call me.

Conditions that day:

1. I was travelling alone.
2. Surprisingly there was hardly any traffic.
3. All the street lights were not working.
4. I was driving slow.

I don't know what would have happened had I stopped that day. Fortunately had my presence of mind intact to keep driving.

I request all the fellow BHPians to never stop if something of this sort happens. Keep driving and don't slow down till you find some traffic and some place where it is safe.

Thank you,
cosmos
cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 22:04   #714
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Averted a possible extortion

An entire thread is dedicated to this. Glad your safe and please notify everyone you know.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ported-48.html (Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported)
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 13:31   #715
BHPian

On my way back yesterday from Total Mall, Sarjapur Road towards Koramangala at 11:00 PM, I saw a lonely bike parked between the two flyovers and almost bumped into it. There was not a single sole to be seen but I feel this could be part of the bigger game. This is parked just as you enter the road below the flyover that leads to Silk board placed exactly at a spot not in the middle but enough that you won't se it and might touch it as usually you are at least at 60 kmpl.

It looked suspicious to me as if it broke down, one could just pulled it to the left side on a safe place. Not sure if anybody noticed it but wanted everyone to be little cautious.

Mods: Is it possible to move this as a separate thread as a warning to all those who use that route but may not have subscribed to this thread.
markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 12:40   #716
BHPian

Default Belandur Junction report - thugs in an OMNI?

Here's my incident, which happened on Wednesday 2 Feb, around 7 pm at Bellandur junction. I was driving in my black Scorpio - and was standing at the Belandur junction, coming from the Marathalli side. One Maruti Omni (KA 51 MA 3804) touched my vehicle from behind as I was standing, and started honking at me. Aware of the previous incidents and the area, I decided to ignore them - and kept driving with the traffic. As the traffic eased up, they tried to flag me down - but I kept driving towards the Sarjapur Road. They finally managed to stop me near the Springfield apartments (at a traffic clog), and came around mouthing obscenities and trying to get me out of the vehicle. By then, a lot of crowd gathered around. The Omni chaps kept claiming I hit them and they needed me to 'ready their vehicle'. However, for some reason, the crowd was in my favour - and on inspecting the Omni, not even a single scratch was found. The Omni had five guys seated - very normal, smallish looking chaps - they were trying to bully me. I managed to keep my cool, and argued that I was in front of their car, couldnt have done anything. Finally, the crowd ruled in my favour and the thugs departed. So no material or physical harm, except that my Scorpio has a damaged door handle when they tried to yank it open.

I am not sure they were a 'gang' - but five people, trying to stop me from behind, trying to ask me to 'ready their vehicle' -all these are very suspicious. I was left a little shaken (and still need to fix my Scorpio handle). I have since then talked to my friend who is a SP of Police (albeit another city) - who said I did the right thing by being cool and coming to a crowded place.

Wanted to share it in this forum, for folks to be generally careful. My learnings:
a) Being cool and talking back in a normal voice is a big help. The crowd around can side with you, or at least not add to the confusion.
b) The rowdies will try to shout you down. Thats their favourite weapon - multiple people, and trying to shout at you. While I did not shout back, maybe thats a counter tactic.
c) Easier said than done - but being cool is a big help. Be mentally prepared with what you will do in such situations. I knew of the incidents, and had earlier decided I wouldnt stop, and try to talk my way out of the situation. Being 'prepared' helped me execute it to an extent when I was faced with the shouting down and confusion creating incidents.

The crowd in my favour was a big help. From now on, I will try to help as a passerby if I see such incidents. My reason is simple - all of us are too busy with our own lives to stop/help. If at least one of us starts helping another one in deed, at least that one person will benefit. Maybe, it will lead to others.. lets see!
Driver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 13:50   #717
BHPian

Default Re: Belandur Junction report - thugs in an OMNI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
From now on, I will try to help as a passerby if I see such incidents. My reason is simple - all of us are too busy with our own lives to stop/help. If at least one of us starts helping another one in deed, at least that one person will benefit. Maybe, it will lead to others.. lets see!
You said some real insight full words here buddy.Love the spirit

And I guess you got lucky with the crowd supporting you.But you should have stopped at the same place where they hit your beast from the back.The crowd would then need no convincing.A omni trying to enter the back of your beast would have been a more convincing sight.And IIRC there are lots of traffic cops/volunteers at the bellandur signal trying to sort out traffic.

Anyways you came out of a mugging situation with confidence and head held high and without parting with any money.Thats really commendable.

I guess this incident stands out among various posts in this thread.Let this be a precedent.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 23:58   #718
BHPian

Default Re: Belandur Junction report - thugs in an OMNI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Y

And I guess you got lucky with the crowd supporting you.But you should have stopped at the same place where they hit your beast from the back.

Anyways you came out of a mugging situation with confidence and head held high and without parting with any money.Thats really commendable.

I guess this incident stands out among various posts in this thread.Let this be a precedent.
Thanks, mate. I didn't stop at the Bellandur junction on purpose. The reasoning: I thought this might be a situation with a few thugs in the car, and maybe a couple of them on the road too - its their 'territory'. Hence tried moving farther away into another crowded area.

For all those who are reading this thread - do try helping someone if you see the need. Its just a couple of incidents like these of people stopping and helping, and the thugs will look to move out very soon! Lets take Bangalore back to where it should belong.
Driver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 00:37   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I keep thinking the same. I even almost bought an airgun in Udaipur. You don;t find that many gun shops in Bangalore.

Quote:
Apparently these are pictures of two muggers released by HAL police station. This is part of the communication sent by our company HR.
Hopefully this will help
We might be working for the same company. I've seen them in a mail from HR.

Last edited by KishoreC : 7th February 2011 at 00:39.
KishoreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 11:31   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KishoreC View Post
We might be working for the same company. I've seen them in a mail from HR.
May not be, this mail has been circulated to almost all IT/BT companies in E-City/ITPL including mine.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote