Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 7th July 2011, 10:16   #871
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I recently read another incident in which somebody lost his bag with some 3+ lacs cash from the passenger seat. He had apparently withdrew that money from one bank and had gone to another bank to draw more money! I never understood why in spite of so many such incidents people still are are so stupid to keep bags containing cash in public sight on the seat! Same with people leaving jewellery and expensive mobile phones on the dashboard...
I too read this in today's newspaper. Apparently the thugs saw him drawing money and followed him from the first bank to the second one. It was a BMW btw - they broke the window glass and took the bag
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 16:48   #872
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Our company admin sent an email to all employees today. They attached this BM cover story

Bangalore Mirror - Bangalore Mirror
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 17:24   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Our company admin sent an email to all employees today. They attached this BM cover story

Bangalore Mirror - Bangalore Mirror
That must come as a breath of fresh air for all the ORR users. While I understand this is a democracy these thugs should be lined up in fron tof their victims and given some nice thrashings. Even better, let the victims retaliate for what they faced. Publicise this punishment so that it acts as a deterrent for other wannabe thugs.

Now the cops should focus on the JC road incidents. Has this already been reported on their FB page?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 18:19   #874

A friend of mine was returning with his wife (from the airport) through ORR - Sarjapur - Jail Road - Electronic City. This was close to 3 a.m. in the morning. He said there was a patrol there which was checking every car. He was stopped asked to show all the papers and then the entire car checked thoroughly.

Finally, they explained to him that
1. First they ask to see the papers so that there is enough time for you to signal if there is someone in the car (rear seat or otherwise) who is forcibly taking you somewhere
2. Then they proceed to check the entire car
3. This is a regular process they follow at night since the muggings have become common

I thought, I should add to the good news amongst the horror stories.
Abhnag is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 18:51   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
That must come as a breath of fresh air for all the ORR users. While I understand this is a democracy these thugs should be lined up in fron tof their victims and given some nice thrashings. Even better, let the victims retaliate for what they faced. Publicise this punishment so that it acts as a deterrent for other wannabe thugs.

Now the cops should focus on the JC road incidents. Has this already been reported on their FB page?

Hi selfdrive,

I have posted the same on FB as well

-Sajan
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 10:30   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Speaking of Xenophobia, it exists in all cities.
What 'North Indians" face in Bangalore, "East Indians" face in Delhi. Infact their plight is even worse. They cannot get PGs on rent, and find difficulty
Am not sure who made the original comment but nowadays in cities like Mumbai & Bangalore, is filled with people from "outside" most commonly used term , nobody knows what it means; since we are in the "Indian Union of united States (on paper)" and all residents of this country are "insiders".

When it comes down to it I guess it is not worth loosing a Limb or tooth over a few 1000Rs, give-in may be the best solution.
However if any one of our loved ones are around and if there is foreseeable danger to them during such mugging incidents, I guess just go for broke, strike first overwhelmingly ruthlessly and mercilessly, think later, since non-reaction from white-collared or blue collared people like us in only encouraging these thugs. No cop no bureaucrat is sympathetic to our plight.

I keep my "L" shaped spanner (not sure if it is called that) for wheel tightening under my car seat to swing baby !!
vshetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 20:23   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I think it is important that Police are informed about such incidents. Atleast in city, there are cameras at traffic junctions, and if police really want to investigate, they have proof.
Also, recently read a news that Police have increased surveillance in ORR, (I remember seeing a picture of ORR from top of a building with a police man on top of it). On an optimistic note, I feel that even though we think that what we report may go unnoticed, they keep track of these things and take actions.
All unreported incident may add more courage to the offenders since Police are not even aware of these things.
Yes sir. There is a lot of patrolling on the ORR. One night after finishing work, I was heading home from Manyata at about 3 am. Like an idiot I stopped on the ORR with the engine running to do what?? to select the album of my choice on the ipod.

I see a bike pulling close to my window (driver side). For a moment I recall this thread and am stunned. It turned out to be 2 cops on a bike - who first took a peek inside the car to see if anything fishy was going on and then very politely asked me to move on and not stop like this. they said we know you are employees of the company but it is not safe to stop sir. Please move on.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 17:23   #878

Before careful on maruthi nagar main road - all this at 10:45 AM

Today morning i was crossing the maruthi nagar main road(after a left at adyar ananda bhavan(petrol bunk - BTM) then next right and then at the circle left) which is my daily route to office.

Before the drainage bridge i was stopped by a person on 2 wheeler telling (all conversation in kannada)

Him(2 wheeler guy) - do you know to drive
Me - What happened
Him - Don't you have patience for 5 sec(loud tone), you cut me real close.
Me- What happened Sir, This whole road from signal i did not encounter any such thing, and i am right behind the other car.
Him - (now pissed) your car touched my leg and i fell. Remove your mobile handsfree.
Me - I am sorry if that really happened
Him - look at my hand, my bike
I am still in the car and cant make out anything. all this when he is on my left
He asks me to move further to avoid traffic
Once i moves over the bridge, there was enough space for others.
he come to my right and shows his bike scratches on the tank, wiser and front mud guard. Any fool can tell its old scratches. I recall all the mugging stories and keep the car locked. and kept telling him sorry.

Him - now i am loosing my time, have to get to work. bike is pulling to left. do you know how to ride a bike, if you want to check.
Me - sir i trust you, tell me what can be done now. i am even agreeing that i touched you, which i did not even notice, and this is the first in my 6 years driving.
This pissed him off to the core and he asked me to lower the windows glass. when i did not, he is forcing his hand inside to hit me.

Me - Sir don't get angry and we can settle this with some patience.
Him - do you know the cost of tank, wiser and mudguard. I am this, that, do you know who my brother is..
Me - sir i will get it repaired at the showroom and my car insurance will pay.
Him - you think i am jobless to come with you to showroom, sit and wait for your insurance money. i know the cost - showroom 10k outside 8K, listen if i hit your car with this helmet will you claim insurance, shall i do that.
Me - Sir please keep your calm, you leave your bike and i will get it done. also get you a alternate bike.
Him - I want the money now.
Me - fine, i don't have cash, lets go to ATM
Him - How much do you have
Me - around 500
Him - Move further and park the car.
So i move further and park the car in front of a bakery and try to call me cousin and he stops me from using the phone.
Him - whom are u trying to call. you want to call someone ? tell me the area you want me to come lets settle it there. You know who my brother is.
Me - I don't want to call anyone, if i wanted all that i would have not stopped the car. I am trying to settle this, so please don't get angry. I had less cash so calling friend to transfer some money
Him - how much do you have.
Me - around 3 k
Him - fine give me that and i will send you the bill for rest.
Me - fine do that. i will give you my company address
Him - you think i have no work. lock your car and come on my bike to ATM.

Once we reach ATM

Him - I want 8 k
Me - i don't have, give me 2 min and my friend will transfer.
Him - don't touch the phone. I will come with you inside the ATM and check the balance.
Me - Fine you can come and check.
Him - then i will take all the money you have.
Me - fine.

at this time he started using words.
Me - sir, don't talk that way, one more word and i am not sure what will happen.
He gets down from the bike to hit me and i move back to avoid and call my cousin. I kept moving around and he tells me to stop and disconnect the call.
I tell everything to my cousin and the address i am standing. he tells wait there for 2 min and i will send someone, note down the bike number. so i tell him check for me here in front of citibank ATM or on the maruti nagar road, you know my car.

Once he heard this he starts his bike and tells, look what will happen to your car and goes.

All this while i am bothered about the laptop in my car, so I shout, i will give the money. He did not stop. now i start running to the car to see what this a** will do and get his bike number.

He is gone, no where near my car. checked the car, laptop and called my cousin, he told not to be near the car, so i got inside the sugarcane juice shop on the other side and my cousin comes and 2 min few cops come there. I tell them the story and then say its a everyday story on this road. God save Bangalore. Be careful guys.
b-positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 18:28   #879
BHPian

^^ I'm sure that it was a painful for you to go through all this. But when you said that you remember the mugging stories in this thread then you might also remember the rule of thumb i.e 'Never get out of your car!!'
If you're in the middle of the traffic and that mugger starts creating a ruckus, very soon people will start gathering and even a few cops may also come by. All these deters the mugger from pressing harder and in all probability they'll leave.
Worst they might hit your car and for that you may later claim insurance. This is much better than having to empty your bank account to the mugger.
atrisarkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 18:48   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-positive View Post

He is gone, no where near my car. checked the car, laptop and called my cousin, he told not to be near the car, so i got inside the sugarcane juice shop on the other side and my cousin comes and 2 min few cops come there. I tell them the story and then say its a everyday story on this road. God save Bangalore. Be careful guys.
I don't understand what you tried to achieve by what you did.
Had I been in your place, I'd have told him to file a 3rd party insurance claim report at the police station or go to hell and driven off. Especially after he threatens to swing his helmet on the car.

Avoid taking unnecessary risks the next time and drive off.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st July 2011 at 15:01. Reason: Long post quote removed for benefit of mobile users.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 22:39   #881
BHPian

b-positive, You handled the first part of the incident very well; maintaining your calm and not getting out of the car. You shouldnt have moved your vehicle (let a traffic jam be created) and should have asked him to report the incident to a police station. Or instead of running to an ATM you should have made the call to your cousin while your in the car and/or driven them to a police station.
sansvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 09:20   #882
Senior - BHPian

I thought this menace was restricted to East Bangalore - HSR and Sarjapur ORR area. Seems like this menace has spread even to North bangalore now.

Please try not to get out of the car. Around 2 months ago, one of my colleagues was travelling alone on Sarjapur ORR at around 10pm at night when this happened to him. They thought he was not a local and tried speaking in hindi and threatening severe consequences if he didnt pay up money for the car running over someone's foot. This guy called one of the rowdies to accompany him to an ATM nearby. He used to always have a cricket bat in his car boot since he goes to a park near his house to play every morning. He opened the boot under the pretext of taking out his ATM card from his office laptop bag, took out the bat from the boot and managed to hit that chap hard once or twice. The goon fled the place immediately.

Now this might seem really courageous to do but the reality is, these goons are crazy. My friend now wears sunglasses / takes alternate routes to avoid getting recognized again and becoming a target for revenge. In my opinion, better to flee the place when encountering such things, than attempt such stunts and regret later.

However, I have to also agree with BHPian Suhaas who said earlier, better to be prepared with a pepper spray can and a bat for a last resort self-defence.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 10:39   #883
Senior - BHPian

Hey b-positive, what you did was quite good. Appreciate your presence of mind.

Certain things I find quite alarming.

Most significantly his threat of asking you not to use the mobile phone?? What the heck?

You did appear timid and scared to him. So he got bolder.

But yeah given the general xenophobia in this city and the lack of spine by others on the road towards helping people in need. What you did was right.

Now since you have been a victim and use the same road everyday. Try and see whether you see similar incidents there and get people rounded up.

Also click pictures whenever you can. Sitting inside the car you could have easily done that.

Even if he hit your car with his helmet you had the pictures and could have reported it to the police.

Now knowing how corrupt the police are here they could have fleeced that mugger for money to protect him. LOL!!! The mugger will now think twice before doing anything more.

They could have tried to get smart with you too but by then you can have more support your side.

But surely this city suffers from acute selfishness.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 10:49   #884
Senior - BHPian

Definitely not a wise move, you almost gave in and made muggers day..
when that guy was not willing to get it done in the showroom and knew the cost of repairs he gave it away..

Scary, it seems like all the rowdies are getting in to this mugging business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-positive View Post

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st July 2011 at 15:02. Reason: Long post quote removed for benefit of mobile users.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 10:58   #885
Senior - BHPian

With more than 70% of the people from outside living in this city, not sure who has xenophobia.
I have arguments with Auto drivers, two wheelers everyday and they dont seem to care if you are a local or otherwise. Hope people use sensible terms while posting in this thread.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote