Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 8th October 2011, 20:07   #946
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

This thread looks to be going places - from Bengalooru to New York ,so let me add my experience in Mumbai.

AVOID taxi drivers at platforms on Dadar Western Railway/Central Railway. Engage a porter and go outside the station to a wayside cab instead

Way back in Oct 1996, we had a whole lot of luggage and my son was just a few months old then,so decided not to take the long walk outside the station,ans settled for this decent looking Pau cabbie at the platform.

He and his co-driver took us to Sion.I felt the meter had been doctored as it showed Rs.60 when it used to be only 40 or thereabouts then.

I gave him a 100 rupee note and in a flash the "co-driver" flashes a 10 buck note stating that I've given him 10 by mistake ; and this happened twice.

Only after I went home and checked my purse did I realise I was conned.

No more Paus thereafter ; and all conning attempts thereafter were foiled with dum.

However ,let me add here that overall, Mumbai cabbies are perhaps the most honest on earth,and fares are dirt cheap.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 11:26   #947
BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

My colleague got mugged last week. This incident happened on M.G. road at 6 pm. The mugging happened when the car had stopped at a traffic signal. MG road is not exactly a deserted place at 6 pm.

He was not traveling alone in the car. The car had 4 occupants. They were localites, not outsiders. They were middle aged men, not the typical yuppie IT guys.

This is the modus operandi. One guy came from behind, banged the car from behind with his hand and runs away. The occupants of the car hear the bang and come out (all of them) and go to the rear of the car to check for damage and to find who banged the car. When all the occupants go to the rear of the car, another guy comes from nowhere, flicks the mobile kept on the dashboard of the car and runs away.

Well this particular mugging incident reflects more on the foolishness of my colleagues rather than the brilliance of the muggers.

Moral of the story:
1. Always drive with windows up and doors locked, even if you are driving in a safe locality.
2. On hearing a bang, be aware that someone is trying to mug you.
3. Don't rush outside to check for damage before rolling up the window and locking the car.
4. Most importantly, don't keep any gadgets visible. Keep you mobile in your pocket and keep your laptop bag/purse hidden from view.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 11:36   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
My colleague got mugged last week.
I believe mugging involves threatening/assault with knife or gun with purpose of robbing. I don't think your colleague's case classifies as mugging. I guess somebody saw an opportunity of stealing & used it.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 11:44   #949
Team-BHP Support

^^ that's not really a mugging incident. Your colleague was conned and fooled. But those are the exact same suggestions I would have penned down too. These guys are smart. they have a keen eye. When they want to whack something from someone, they look at the best and easiest ways of doing so. They look at all the cars around, and see if they can flick something from them. They choose wisely.

So we have to outsmart them. We can't let them fool us. We must not keep valuables on the dashboard. Rule number one! And never, ever, get out of your car for any reason, if you hear a loud thud and you don't see anything around you! And if you must, then turn off the ignition and take the keys out, roll up the windows, lock the car once you're out, and then go about inspecting.

Carry a can of pepper-spray/mace. It helps! You don't have to necessarily use it. Some people won't mess with you when they see that you're armed with it.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 11:54   #950
BHPian

Sorry but I find it funny. Four guys getting down all together to check sound of 1 thud?
Sometimes being lazy helps Also when the other guy ran with the mobiles where could he go? MG road is a very busy road and if you would have chased, people would have certainly helped you to catch him (he could not run freely at full speed).

On the other hand, I have heard muggers using pepper spray
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 12:00   #951
Team-BHP Support

I find it quite funny too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
On the other hand, I have heard muggers using pepper spray
Supplement it with a slugger, in that case. And to make things more exciting, wipe some blood (fake, or not ) on it. Again, remember, you don't have to really 'use' it.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 12:15   #952
Senior - BHPian

All four must have got out to thrash the guy who hit their car. Its the new instantaneous reaction of bangaloreans.

Don't believe me? Slap a car and see. My 3 year old son hit on the back door of an Alto in Thippasandra and the owner of the car got off the car. Eyes blood shot and yelling murder on the top of his voice. LOL!!

This city has become insecure about itself.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 12:38   #953
BHPian

Ha ha

Imagine 4 guys getting down to thrash someone black and white and ended up getting their phones and other stuffs flicked off.

but I wonder what would their mental state be, all 4 got down to thrash someone for a thud, what would they want to do to the guy who ran away with their phones.
Old 16th October 2011, 15:16   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I find it quite funny too.

Supplement it with a slugger, in that case. And to make things more exciting, wipe some blood (fake, or not ) on it. Again, remember, you don't have to really 'use' it.

I cant stop laughing at your comment.

But seriously, that is a great idea.
When people stop at traffic signals, it is always better to roll up the windows.

In case anybody hits, even though the first reaction is to stop the car and hit someone, I think one should pull over on the side and then take care of one's safety first before going and inspecting the car. This would help avoid traffic jams. And the time one spends in car before pulling over can also be used to note down the number of the culprit who in case is running away. If someone just rushes to see the damage, it would be difficult to remember the number of the guy who caused the damage.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 11:20   #955
BHPian

I agree that this incident was not technically a mugging incident, similar to the ones that have been reported on the ORR. But I thought that it was worth mentioning on this thread.

The person who flicked the mobile managed to run away without being stopped by anyone in the middle of M.G. road. That is the beauty of Bangalore, nobody helps each other. I'm sure that the cops also get a share of the loot, so even they don't bother to catch these guys.

Remember that on the road, you are all alone. In case of a mugging incident, don't expect any help from fellow road users in Bangalore. Whenever you get involved in such incident, take this factor into account while planning your reaction.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 16:42   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
This thread looks to be going places - from Bengalooru to New York ,so let me add my experience in Mumbai.

AVOID taxi drivers at platforms on Dadar Western Railway/Central Railway. Engage a porter and go outside the station to a wayside cab instead

Way back in Oct 1996, we had a whole lot of luggage and my son was just a few months old then,so decided not to take the long walk outside the station,ans settled for this decent looking Pau cabbie at the platform.

He and his co-driver took us to Sion.I felt the meter had been doctored as it showed Rs.60 when it used to be only 40 or thereabouts then.

I gave him a 100 rupee note and in a flash the "co-driver" flashes a 10 buck note stating that I've given him 10 by mistake ; and this happened twice.

Only after I went home and checked my purse did I realise I was conned.

No more Paus thereafter ; and all conning attempts thereafter were foiled with dum.

However ,let me add here that overall, Mumbai cabbies are perhaps the most honest on earth,and fares are dirt cheap.
Wow, the same thing happened to me at Dadar station. I was in college those days and had just come from Bangalore. As I did not want to wait in the taxi que, I took a cab after a cab driver offered to drop me back to my hostel. He stopped the car around 10 minutes away from my hostel saying the car is spoilt. And he also had this shady co driver.

Anyway me being so close to the hostel, I immediately called a few of my batch mates to come to this spot.

By this time I decided to pay of the cab and wait for them to come, but everytime I gave him a note, he would say it is torn and return it to me....I dont know what the game was but the third time, I showed him the note before giving it to him and made sure he had a good look and said that there was nothing wrong with it.

I got out of the cab as soon as possible....I guess he was also in a hurry to get out of there as he had heard me calling a few friends on the phone. So, basically, a car which was not working anymore suddenly started and zoomed off....
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 17:25   #957
Senior - BHPian

Hypothetical situation : You are just about to be mugged; you realize what's going on and decide to use the pepper spray, baseball bat that you've hidden in the car. Things get ugly and you end up having to use it on the mugger.

What would you do :
1) Run away (if the road is deserted and no one spots you)
2) Stop, call the cops and take the risk of being arrested

1) is morally wrong and will prick your conscience.
2) is the right thing to do but will bring with itself a pile of problems - cops, mob fury itself.

And I'm not even mentioning the O-word here (outsider).

The reason why I ask is - I've come across so many peopl with baseball bats and iron rods in their cars. In the unfortunate incident that they have to use it, what would they do next?

I find people on the forum generously advicing that people keep something in the car for self-defense. What happens if you use it? Anyone with logical, morally and legally correct answers?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th October 2011 at 17:27.
libranof1987 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 17:44   #958
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about stopping at the spot, but I would definitely recommend reporting the incident to the police as soon as possible.

Stopping/waiting at the spot might be dangerous.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 20:30   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I find people on the forum generously advicing that people keep something in the car for self-defense. What happens if you use it? Anyone with logical, morally and legally correct answers?
It is not practical enough. Most people advising, would themselves forget they have a defense system (PP Spray etc..) in place, when gheraoed by muggers.

I have mostly seen people carrying rods and baseballs who can actually use it. People who are kind of aggressive, and they more often use it in a "non-mugging" incident
Old 19th October 2011, 00:02   #960
Senior - BHPian

Guys - your suggestion on keeping a plastic gun with round orange bullets that are available on roadside shops or small time toy shops costing around Rs 100/- I am referring to the guns that shoot the below mentioned bullet style. Keep a couple of toys like a doll, hot wheels etc, so that it appears that a kid is playing with toys and use it only for self defence.

This bullet causes pain and skin redness, but does not enter the body. It definetly stuns a person when shot. He will rub the wound in pain.

thoughts Everyone

Name:  medium_Toy%20Gun_Silver.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  11.0 KB

Name:  Free-shipping-5pcs-lot-2000-pcs-6mm-BB-Yellow-Plastic-Circular-Bullets-for-Toy-Gun.jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  33.2 KB

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th October 2011 at 00:07.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote