Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 19th October 2011, 00:15   #961
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Be very careful with this. If someone else has real gun he might be forced to use it because of this fake gun.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 01:30   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
I agree that this incident was not technically a mugging incident, similar to the ones that have been reported on the ORR. But I thought that it was worth mentioning on this thread.

The person who flicked the mobile managed to run away without being stopped by anyone in the middle of M.G. road. That is the beauty of Bangalore, nobody helps each other. I'm sure that the cops also get a share of the loot, so even they don't bother to catch these guys.

Remember that on the road, you are all alone. In case of a mugging incident, don't expect any help from fellow road users in Bangalore. Whenever you get involved in such incident, take this factor into account while planning your reaction.

Rohan
Of course in rest of India, people would have chased the muggers like bollywood heroes na !!

Fact of the matter is people in India will not interfere in such cases 9 times out of 10 due to police fear/own harm fear. From my experience, people in Bangalore are definitely more helpful than a lot of other cities.

PS: I am looking at you NCR, someone comes and shoots a toll attendant on a busy expressway and no one even notes down the number of the vehicle ?
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 15:48   #963
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Of course in rest of India, people would have chased the muggers like bollywood heroes na !!

Fact of the matter is people in India will not interfere in such cases 9 times out of 10 due to police fear/own harm fear. From my experience, people in Bangalore are definitely more helpful than a lot of other cities.

PS: I am looking at you NCR, someone comes and shoots a toll attendant on a busy expressway and no one even notes down the number of the vehicle ?
Well Said

In fact if i was in a similar situation, i will NOT note down the number or bother to help unless the person is known to me by face and have interacted with. I mean even if a guy with my company ID card is in trouble i may not help as tags can be duplicated for 5 Rs. I am Paranoid

If i help and end up being a "witness" to a case, police will come for verification / questions too often and trouble me. My career is screwed. Secondly when i apply for visa etc, the moment i mention i am a witness in a case, the chances of Visa are screwed. I do not want to help someone screwing my own life / career. Thirdly, If the person is a goon, i dont want to / cannot fight with a goon / politician. They are always right in India.

This is India where if a 2 wheeler jumps a red light and a car hits him, the car is blamed and people hit the driver. No-one mentions that the 2 wheler rider jumped the light.

If i am a politician, I will spend my time to think of ways to fleece the middle class and not waste time with law and order.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th October 2011 at 15:50.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 17:45   #964
Senior - BHPian

Last night while returning home (these days I am a biker out of compulsion you know), there were 3 guys on an Activa or some vehicle of the sort. Without helmets stopped at the Jayanagar 5th block, telephone exchange junction. I was returning home from work. Time was 3:40 AM.

These guys stop me to ask for directions - My first instinct was to weave and duck and zoom away even though I am riding a beat up CT 100 and they are on an activa - but they were 3 and would've taken quite a while to catch up with me.

Nevertheless I stop (cos I had just passed a police patrol on a bike which was bound to come that way). They ask me the way to the JNR 4th Block complex and I do show them the way - they say - Thank you bhaiyya and go their way.

Bad things about the incident:

1) I was stupid to stop.
2) I was stupid to trust that the cops would be riding that way for I didn't see them at all. May be they just stopped at a closed shop and stretched out.
3) They could've just snatched my laptop and run away while one guy could've beaten me up. lol.

Good thing: Nothing happened, I continued on my way home!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 17:56   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From my experience, people in Bangalore are definitely more helpful than a lot of other cities.
When the unexpected thing happens (like mugging or accident), it takes sometime (say 1 or 2 minutes) for others to notice, assess what happened & then respond to it. They have to safeguard their belongings before proceeding to help. This is after the victim raises alert & draws attention. Otherwise it takes even more time.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 18:42   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Well Said

In fact if i was in a similar situation, i will NOT note down the number or bother to help unless the person is known to me by face and have interacted with. I mean even if a guy with my company ID card is in trouble i may not help as tags can be duplicated for 5 Rs. I am Paranoid

If i help and end up being a "witness" to a case, police will come for verification / questions too often and trouble me. My career is screwed. Secondly when i apply for visa etc, the moment i mention i am a witness in a case, the chances of Visa are screwed. I do not want to help someone screwing my own life / career. Thirdly, If the person is a goon, i dont want to / cannot fight with a goon / politician. They are always right in India.

This is India where if a 2 wheeler jumps a red light and a car hits him, the car is blamed and people hit the driver. No-one mentions that the 2 wheler rider jumped the light.

If i am a politician, I will spend my time to think of ways to fleece the middle class and not waste time with law and order.
Bharath, didnt expect this to come from a Bulleteer.

Anyways, I have been a witness for the cops couple of times, including being the first person to call Cops, Ambulance etc.
I have crashed and have been crashed into. And my frail 5.7 frame is still in one piece. To top it all, I have even been around the globe in various directions quite a few times. I never had any Visa problems.
Not sure about chennai, the Bangalore cops are real gentlemen when you step forward as a witness. As my Kannada was pedestrian, the cops soon got the cue and we had the rest of the conversation in hindi & english. The funny part was when the cop spoke in broken hindi and i replied in broken Kannada.

Having been behind the wheel for the last 15 years now, I can mostly guess the problems a driver/rider can face and when they might need help. When they do, I stop and help them out: whether its just about pushing a car to get it started or to drop the guy to the next gas stn etc.
Sometimes, its good to trust my fellow human being..its called being Humane.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 21:28   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Was this a post signifying "your city is worse than mine" intention? If so, @ethanhunt123, you have been quite long on this forum to give such a knee jerk reaction.
Bangalore has a serious problem w.r.t security on the streets and its time we accepted it and took due considerations when traveling there.

Qnd your assumption of people not coming forward is wrong - twice I have been involved in accidents; once on the wronged side, and once on the wrong side - in both situations onlookers have come forward and offered help (for/against) me. Both cases were in different cities.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th October 2011 at 21:32.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:18   #968
BHPian

It is really getting frustrating to see replies in almost every other thread with the topic related to Bangalore turning into a Bangalore bashing replies / comments by the so called non-local bangaloreans and the so called local bangaloreans defending and going on and on and on.

If you do not like Bangalore, please consider moving out of Bangalore or stop Bangalore bashing in a totally unrelated forum / thread.
If you don't want to move out of Bangalore and/or not stop bashing, please do so in dedicated forums / threads for the same.

Please stick to the topic of this thread which is "Mugging in Bangalore roads" and keep all other topics out of the discussion.

I do not mean to offend anyone, just wanted to let you all know about my frustration seeing replies / comments in almost every other thread / forum related to Bangalore turning into Bangalore bashing.

Now, please do not start posting replies to this one which will start another discussion totally unrelated to the topic.

Please post reply / comment only if there is something to add to the thread topic of mugging in Bangalore roads.

Thanks!
coolfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 22:20   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
Was this a post signifying "your city is worse than mine" intention? If so, @ethanhunt123, you have been quite long on this forum to give such a knee jerk reaction.
Bangalore has a serious problem w.r.t security on the streets and its time we accepted it and took due considerations when traveling there.

Qnd your assumption of people not coming forward is wrong - twice I have been involved in accidents; once on the wronged side, and once on the wrong side - in both situations onlookers have come forward and offered help (for/against) me. Both cases were in different cities.
Just trying to fight the impression that Blr has a "serious" security problem. I agree its probably not the safest (mumbai?) but no way it has a security problem. I have been living here for 3+ years and have never ever even thought twice about venturing out late at night. And I don't speak Kannada.

BTW I didn't say no one helps, once I was hit from behind by an auto while riding my bike and I broke my arm. One kind small shop keeper shut his shop and drove me to the hospital. And this happened in BLR.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 23:28   #970
Senior - BHPian

Things have changed so much in 10 years in Bangalore. Earlier I used to take the outer ring road between Mysore road and Bannerugatta road (which was newly constructed and did not have much traffic then) and I used to give drops to so many total strangers on the way (in my Matiz), which included cops also. Today even if Cops ask me for a drop I will be hesitant.

Recently we were stopped at an accident spot at night (could be around 9:30) in Jayanagar asking for help. The accident victim who was on Bike was hit by something and he was being carried in his mother's car which was following the bike. Because there was no space in that car, the mother asked us to drop her to the hospital where the son was being taken to. We obliged and started following the other car. Somewhere we lost the sight of the other car and the lady did not know which hospital they were heading to. Now the lady started calling the driver of the other car and made us to go back and forth and roam around a bit. Even in that condition (Panicked mother worried about her son's condition etc) for a moment I wondered whether we are being tricked! That is the state we have reached.

Since the thread is also discussing the ways of getting conned, here is one such experience I had, so that people are aware of this trick!
I was walking with one of my friends somewhere near the race course road and an Auto Rickshaw stops with the driver coming out and asking us for change (for Rs 500). I stop to check if I have the change and in the meantime the passenger guy also gets out. I collect the Rs 500 currency from the driver and hand him 5 notes of Rs 100. He takes it and counts (one, two, three, phor and phive) and gives the notes to the passenger. Passenger also counts it loud (one, two, three, phor, Phive) and asks me if I can give him Rs 50 notes. I tell him I dont have to which he tells me he wants only 50s. I give his 500 back, collect my money and start walking. My friend cracks a joke saying if you stay there for another 2 minutes, the guy would want 10 Rupee notes. We both laugh but suddenly it occurred to me that something is wrong.
I tell my friend that we have been fooled. I take out my wallet and find only 3 notes instead of 5.
So, this is the trick. When the driver handed over the notes to the passenger like guy, he has skillfully slipped 2 of them and handed only 3. Passenger gave the impression that he counted 5 notes only with his action and loud counting while he had only 3. And, when I collected it back, I did not bother to count them again as I did not see any reason to do so.

Sorry for the long post!
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 05:38   #971
BHPian

Auto drivers pulling the currency note trick is quite old one and quite a few of us have fallen to this.

This happened to me sometime in late 2000.
I had been to commercial street for some shopping. I went to MG road, did some more shopping and then took the auto to my home.
When I reached my destination, the meter showed something like 72 rupees or so. I gave the auto driver a 100 rupee currency note and I was taking my bags out. I took all my bags out and asked him for the change, he said that I did not give him any money for him to give the change back to me.
I looked into my wallet and I was very sure that I gave him the 100 rupee note. I stood my ground. This went on for about 15-20 mins by when one of my neighbors came by and asked what has happened. I told my neighbor the whole story and again the auto guy showed all the money he had in all his pockets and there was no 100 rupee note.
My neighbor and I stood our ground and realizing that nothing is going to happen, the auto driver gave me back about 30 odd rupees and said not to cheat other people like I cheated him and cursed me with bad luck and turned auto and left.
I said to myself that if I had not really given the 100 rupee note to the auto driver, I am pretty sure that there is not a single auto driver who would give back a passenger 30 odd rupees and go away.
Back then I did not even know that this was trick, it was only much later I came to know of this trick.
coolfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 07:13   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
I gave the auto driver a 100 rupee currency note and I was taking my bags out.
I make it a point to do the following when I disembark from taxis, in the order:
1. Look at the meter and call out what the fare is
2. Take all the belongings out of the car
3. Ensure that every co-passenger is out of the vehicle
4. If cash is the only payment method and I don't have exact change (or rounded amount), tell the driver to take out the (to be returned) balance.
5. Exchange the money in one transaction and walk away.

I note the registration number of the taxis that I get into in a piece of paper and keep it intact till I determine it's no more of use.

I never make payments for taxis in advance nor will I entertain requests to pay for fuel enroute.
Iluvcars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 12:12   #973
BHPian

Just received this new incident report of mugging at Sarjapur Signal/Bus Stop. I've received this via the society blog and posting it here for information.

Quote:
Mugging at Sarjapur Signal Bus Stop

Just want to alert everyone on a mugging incident maybe a new modus operandi right at the bus stop near Shobha Garnet on Friday night with my Nephew.

At around 9:30 PM on Friday (14th Oct) My Nephew took a left turn to go to Nilgiris to buy something. A few meters after the bus stop (in front of lake area where some big pipes are lying), a person (X) was sitting on road-side. As soon as my nephew crossed X, X tried to approach him and hold his hand, he tried to release himself, just then, 3 more people came in an auto and all of them started beating him and slammed his face on the road-side grill. He cried to help but that side is not well lit and even very few people at that point. They emptied his pockets and took his purse, cell phone etc and flew away in that same auto.

Just wanted to let everyone know of this new mode of mugging and point right near sun-city. Please be careful and watch out.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 21:30   #974
BHPian

TOI article: Bangalore best Indian city to live in India. Though it's ranking very low compared with the global ones. It's better than any other city in India.

It also has been ranked as the best Indian city both in terms of quality of living and the personal safety standards.

Bangalore best Indian city to live: Survey - The Times of India
AdityaLN is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:51   #975

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Guys - your suggestion on keeping a plastic gun with round orange bullets that are available on roadside shops or small time toy shops costing around Rs 100/- I am referring to the guns that shoot the below mentioned bullet style. Keep a couple of toys like a doll, hot wheels etc, so that it appears that a kid is playing with toys and use it only for self defence.

This bullet causes pain and skin redness, but does not enter the body. It definetly stuns a person when shot. He will rub the wound in pain.

thoughts Everyone

Attachment 829291

Attachment 829290
I've see people using ball bearings of similar size instead of the plastic pellets. It hurts real bad.
krishnadevanur is offline   Reply With Quote