Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 24th December 2011, 07:46   #976
BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Use a paintball gun. Hurts bad and it will mark the guy for sure
dingolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 23:48   #977
BHPian

Default Incident in Sahakarnagar 26th Dec 2011 22:200

What can i say, i guess it has just happened to me.
What: Sort of Con/Mugging/Attack
time: 22:00

Now some background, i have been in this area for around 11 years.
This is the only area i have stayed in since i moved to Bangalore.
I have seen the changes and progress being made and love this area.
Unfortunately today i had a shocking experience. There is a first time for everything.
For the past 3 years my wife and 3 year old son have gone out on numerous short night dirves around sahakarnagar.
How things unfolded tonight, we are finishing our round and plan to head home, take the normal route via the skating ring park when suddenly a guy on bike slows down and get offs and stands in front of the car with is phone in hand.
He staring at the number plate of the car and busying doing something with his phone.
next he walks up to my side and starts saying something, as the window is closed i dont hear.
i roll the window down a few cms by that time another guy on a bike comes and jumps off. He is in a full on argument mode, he yells and hits the windscreen with his fist with all his might.
My son yells in fear and wife too.
I dont know what the hell is happening.
I quikly pull the power window shut ensuring the first guys finger are still there and are getting crushed.
next i lower he window enough for him to remove the fingers and and drive off.

My kid is crying as a I speed away past the Cavery School and then take a few left and rights continously watching my Rear View mirror to see if we are being followed before heading home.
We are all still shaken up over this and what i can say is i plan to keep somesort of pepper spray in the car.

I would like to thank God that nothing happened to my family and i am here to tell this tale and warn others.

Next thing is go tomorrow morning to the same spot and check with the shops there if this is a regular occurance and what happened once we left. Followed by a visit to the Police Department located on the Kodigehalli Mn Rd after Chairmain's Club.

Once again Thank you God.

Below is the location courtesy Google Earth.
Attached Images

yajaman99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 00:13   #978
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

@ yajayaman99

Thank God you are safe. You have a cool head on your shoulders and did not get down from the car. Nice move to crush the fingers of the intruder and speed away.

Bangalore is becoming unsafe everyday. Drive safe guys.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 10:05   #979
BHPian

Good lord.. that you got out of that situation clean. It's surprising how these local muggers who I think so low of, are able to bring about a fearful atmosphere in just seconds. If one can get over that fear, that's when the mind starts planning an escape route. If one falls for the pit, you've given into their PLAN!

And I just realized that the automatic window roll down feature in the skoda is going to take a beating at this....
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 10:13   #980
Senior - BHPian

I guess night drives are becoming risky. My suggestion would be never to take the same routes consecutively. Also loud music would give signs of easy targets so try avoiding that unless you're on a highway or long stretches.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 10:13   #981
BHPian

Oh my God . I can't believe that happened to you. Even I stay in Sahakarnagar but always considered it to be safe . There used to be a Hoysala that roams around Sahakarnagar almost everyday. But nowadays I hardly get to see it. And the place where you got mugged is also pretty busy as its a main road. I just hope these thugs are caught as soon as possible.
rohittunga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 10:15   #982
BHPian

@ Yajaman 99
Even i stays in sahakarnagar area and goes all short and long drives in the night thru the same area n number of times.No issues noticed still. Drives local regd jeeps & scorpios.. Thinks these guys are targetting soft non KA regd vehicles to make quick buck..

Last edited by Rajith : 27th December 2011 at 10:16.
Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 11:36   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Yajaman, good on you that you kept your cool, did not panic and got the hell out of there fast.

Unfortunately your wife and child were in the car and were subjected to the trauma which can be shocking and scary.

I despise Bangalore for what it has become today. Born and raised here, in my childhood days, it was shocking to read about a murder in the papers... as it happened very rarely. Now its a run-of-the-mill or common occurrence. Sickening. There is so much hate and frustration all around.

Try and avoid the night drives. Its not worth it and not safe. These low life scums won't stop even if there is a family in the car so better not take the risk. They don't choose their victims.

Buy a can of pepper spray and keep it handy. Ask your wife to carry one in her handbag too.

Some tips: Keep the doors locked even if you're driving in the day. Don't get instigated if someone pushes you off the road or tries to intimidate you while driving. I need to practice this self control too as it boils my blood looking at the way people drive today. For the time being, i have just stopped driving.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2011 at 11:38.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 12:01   #984
BHPian

Yajaman, shocking to see what happened with you. Thankful to god for your safety. Have you lodged the police complaint yet and did you check with the local shops as to what transpired after you left.

Since you are on the forum, this is coming to light. This could be a thing which is happening with many non-bhpi'ans and is not coming to light.

At that time, were there no other cars on the road? Best thing is to keep the incar DVD recorder. This will help you in a lot of ways.

Take care.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 12:27   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
Auto drivers pulling the currency note trick is quite old one and quite a few of us have fallen to this.

This happened to me sometime in late 2000.
I had been to commercial street for some shopping. I went to MG road, did some more shopping and then took the auto to my home.
When I reached my destination, the meter showed something like 72 rupees or so. I gave the auto driver a 100 rupee currency note and I was taking my bags out. I took all my bags out and asked him for the change, he said that I did not give him any money for him to give the change back to me.
I looked into my wallet and I was very sure that I gave him the 100 rupee note. I stood my ground. This went on for about 15-20 mins by when one of my neighbors came by and asked what has happened. I told my neighbor the whole story and again the auto guy showed all the money he had in all his pockets and there was no 100 rupee note.
My neighbor and I stood our ground and realizing that nothing is going to happen, the auto driver gave me back about 30 odd rupees and said not to cheat other people like I cheated him and cursed me with bad luck and turned auto and left.
I said to myself that if I had not really given the 100 rupee note to the auto driver, I am pretty sure that there is not a single auto driver who would give back a passenger 30 odd rupees and go away.
Back then I did not even know that this was trick, it was only much later I came to know of this trick.
This is a common trick that has fooled me once, but not the second time...
The second unsuccessful attempt by an autowala was when i took a rick early morning (4:30 ish) from majestic bus stand to frazer town.
Upon reaching I handed him a 100-rupee note, after which i started to take my bags out of the auto. Just as i was turning to leave, the auto driver stops me and says "Saar, Paisa?". I knew it was a trick, but like i said, i was not going to be fooled again. And i was really pissed off!!!
My reaction- I simply got back into the auto and told the guy calmly "Bahya, Frazer town police station jao".
You should have seen the expression on his face
He was like "Huh! Kyo."
I then gave him a little gyan about cheating...he nodded his head and mumbled somthing to himself and told me to get down. He then drove away keeping a long face and i walked home with a smile on my face

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th December 2011 at 14:50. Reason: ONLY 2 smileys per post. Please read the rules before proceeding further. Thanks!
aadithsince1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 12:43   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Some tips: Keep the doors locked even if you're driving in the day. Don't get instigated if someone pushes you off the road or tries to intimidate you while driving. I need to practice this self control too as it boils my blood looking at the way people drive today. For the time being, i have just stopped driving.
The question of the hour is what would be the next option if one is unable to drive off from that situation whether you are with/without your family at that instance ? Be it a mugging scenario or that of somebody trying to push you off the road or intimidate you, during daytime or at night.

I have observed that in many instances, the offender tries hard to make you pullover and pick an argument leading to a brawl where the outsider or "non-kannada speaking" guy ends up getting the brunt of it all.

And in case you do resort to a hockey bat or spanner or pepper spray for self defense, the on-lookers will not side with you if you are armed, even if you used it only for self defense.

To be honest, I am terrified of driving within the Bangalore city limits be it during day time or at night, for there is a constant fear in the back of my head that I may be next ! The cab drivers, auto drivers, tempo drivers and the bus drivers with their rash driving and goonda like attitude are to me nothing but Yamraj in various forms on the road during the whole day. At night, we have the goondas/muggers/drunk & rash drivers to take over the role.

A very scary picture !
Xryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 13:24   #987
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Incident in Sahakarnagar 26th Dec 2011 22:200

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
What can i say, i guess it has just happened to me.
Its a terrible feeling. You did the right thing by not getting down and fleeing from the spot when you had the opportunity.

This incident makes one realise the importance of the 'Autolock' feature that some cars come with. I am sure these guys would have reached for your door handle to try and open the doors. Doors being locked, gave you the opportunity to flee. Without the Autolock feature I am not sure that I will have the presence of mind to lock the doors first during incidents like these.

This feature is deactivated in my Laura by default and I am thinking of getting it activated during first service.

Looks like I will have to stop procrastinating and buy that pepper spray can soon.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 14:23   #988
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Incident in Sahakarnagar 26th Dec 2011 22:200

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post

Now some background, i have been in this area for around 11 years.
------
------
Below is the location courtesy Google Earth.
Damn! I was talking to my friend a few days ago how safe the area is and lucky to be located here. Really shocked to hear this. Must say, you had a great presence of mind and did the right thing by getting off ASAP. No point in confronting the low life scums.

I'm also interested to know what the neighbourhood guys had to say when you talked to them. By any chance did you notice the bike number?

You and your family are safe. That's all matters. Yes, do keep pepper sprays. I have one each in my door pockets.

@rohittunga - the hoyasala jeep still makes rounds. It passes my residence in Shantivana someime between 10.30~11pm.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 15:30   #989

Non KA vehicles seem to be soft targets for these goons, my experiences of driving a non KA vehicle in and around Bangalore are always very sour. The last time on Hosur road a Traveller Tempo of an IT company hassled me to no end constantly breaking and changing lanes inspite of me being in a faster vehicle. Hell, even a biker with a rouge pillion on a Splendor tried to pull some tricks on seeing a TN registered vehicle trying to overtake him on Bannargetta road.

I cant generalize this as a Bangalore specific phenomenon but can safely say that in Bangalore there is a higher probability of you being a victim if your ride is non KA registered.
Abhi_rx is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 18:02   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_rx View Post
Non KA vehicles seem to be soft targets for these goons, my experiences of driving a non KA vehicle in and around Bangalore are always very sour.
Living in Bangalore for all these years I can tell you that our KA registered vehicles don't enjoy any special kindness from these people . Don't think these people will change their driving style whether there is a KA registered car in front of them or not. Bangalore's cab and tempo drivers are very unruly and this is the way they drive. Its just that we are used to it and know what to expect. For outsiders it can be a bit of a rude shock.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote