Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 25th May 2010, 12:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. An auto retracting touch sensitive driver side window is counter productive in this case. The mugger will get advantage of a fully open window!
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 20:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Believe me, and no offense, but murders take place for much smaller reasons.
Anyone been to SA/Kenya would know they'd kill you for refusing to pay for a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
It's not always safe to completely switch off the engine and roll down the windows too simultaneously in isolated places after dark.
With all due respect to this nation none should ever do that. I'd say why even stop at a secluded place at all. Glad that nothing happened but it wasn't a very wise move to stop the car in the first place.

Anyways, all's well that ends well, you both are safe and learned a lesson too without paying too much for it.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 15:47   #33
BHPian

Exclamation

Hey, good to know you and your girl were unhurt in the incident. Well, reading such innumerable events on TBhp gets me thinking, what has this world come to! I am getting really paranoid reading all these. Faced with such situations I can only pray that God gives me the presence of mind to overcome it.
vjabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 13:56   #34
BHPian

Default Mugging & Car robbery on Mysore road

Last night, me along with my friends went for a night drive along Mysore road. We spent a while in Cafe Coffee day and started back to Bangalore by 3.30 am. The road was free and good cool breeze, I cruised along the highway in 80 kmph. I reached a particular section where the road was dark, no street lights. Its was a 3 lane road , I was driving in the middle lane. I was targeted with a brick , I guess its a big stone , it hit the driver's seat door.. The impact was so high.. It was like a bullet striking the car, bullet with 5 inch radius.. :( My pulse rate rose up and it took an hour for me to become normal.

My friends spotted a Maruti Omni exactly after the 50-100 meters from where I was hit.. Some one hiding inbetween the bushes had targeted us.. It was a very planned act..

My black swift was left with a big dent and stracthes of about 25 cms length.. Those ruthless idiots spoilled my day. I take care of my car so much and rogues like these they frustrate to the core..

My friends asked to pull over .. I knew that was a bad idea and their intention for doing so is for us to pull over and they could have a chance..

I am really getting worried and it turns out to be an unsafe place to live in ..
jakky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 15:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakky88 View Post
I reached a particular section where the road was dark, no street lights. Its was a 3 lane road , I was driving in the middle lane. I was targeted with a brick , I guess its a big stone , it hit the driver's seat door.. The impact was so high.. .
Thank God that the stone hit the door and not the wind shields or door mirrors, you could have met with a bad accident.

btw, why do you take up night drivings? Its' very unsafe to be on the roads at the times that you have mentioned
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 19:30   #36
BHPian

I never thought that these roads were unsafe.. But I have learnt a lesson from it. No more night drives unless there is a purpose ..

Later today I searched on the internet for incidents similar to mine. I found too many and not much actions were taken by the Cops. I failed to see even 1 patrol vehicle monitoring the highway..
jakky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 00:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Woah! Close call man!

Anyway, quick thinking by you prevented the incident from becoming a serious one. Mugging in Bangalore has become rampant and I prefer to stay indoors after 10 pm!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Thank your stars you are safe. Apart from not parking/halting at unlit and lonely spots (even if you have your gf with you), make sure to never completely switch off the ignition. Leaving it in ON position ensures you can operate the power windows even before starting the engine as well as ensure the doors are locked, but it's also harder for someone to remove the key from the ignition.
Now i know this , never ever will i completely switch off the engine , i will keep it in ignition mode .

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I was just thinking what would have happened if he was able to snatch your car key. Man...! you sure would have ended up in some trouble. Thanks to Fiat for the design (I have also heard from someone that burglars were unable to steal the car - Palio - because they couldn't figure out how to engage the reverse gear within few seconds of time they had to vanish!)

You were very lucky to have escaped from a situation like that, especially when you have your girlfriend with you!
Tell me about it , i think i was lucky too .
Called up dad after filing an FIR ( who happens to be a cop ) he said i should have run them over or over their motor cycle , and i said no way that would have hurt my punto .....

but come to think of it i should have .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am sure glad that you & the girl are okay. Believe me, and no offense, but murders take place for much smaller reasons. You should be grateful to be posting this thread. Ideally, you would have rolled up your windows & started the car when that bike shut its headlamps off. Well, alls well that ends well I guess.

Stay safe.
@ GTO : right said brother , but between the motorcycle switching its headlamp and them pouncing on us there was only 3 seconds ....
but i will surely be more vigilant henceforth ...
wind_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 12:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Even if one switches off the car, at least keep the headlights running if one has stopped for a short while. In this case, since the car's headlights were off, they would have had a clear vision of who is inside the car and made it a quick target.

Thank God both of you came out of it safely.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 14:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

@wind rider > Very glad that you & your Gf survived the episode and are able to post this thread for the benefit of everyone.

With economic disparities rising and high frustration levels, these kind of episodes will only increase in the future. One can never be fully prepared for them and we have to remain ever cautious.

Some tips for fellow travellers from my experience;

1. Always stop at a place that is not isolated or secluded.
2. If you do, keep your engine running, doors locked and windows rolled up.
3. Arm yourself with a deterrent. This is not illegal. Ensuring your personal safety is your birth right. keep chilli powder handy/ pepper spray/ WD 40/ knife/ paper cutter.. etc
4.When you stop 'anywhere' in unfamiliar territory, look around your immediate surroundings, try n register what ever you can. Do a quick scan of the area with your brain.
5. Most of all have presence of mind.
6. When I travel in unfamiliar territory, my engine is always running and my brain always on red alert.
7. Keep your eyes on all your mirrors.
8. If you leave your vehicle, arm yourself.
9. Dont trust ANYONE.
10. Be prepared to run if you have to.
11. Always park in a way that allows immediate exit.
12. Dont look too flashy.
13. Dont be too friendly.

This isnt an exhaustive list, but just serves as a reminder.
I wish no one ever has to ever face a similar unnerving episode.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 24th November 2010 at 14:55.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the heads up. ordered one pepper spray already. better have some sort of defence.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:21   #42
BHPian

Ever since I started reading about these incidents, I have been carrying Pepper spray in my car and I have given one to my wife to carry in her handbag. Hopefully, I don't have to use it ever, but I am ready if i have to.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Some tips for fellow travellers from my experience;

WD 40/ . etc
arm yourself.
>>>

jaysmokesleaves,

1. What is a WD40?
2. Any suggestions for arming oneself? Are you suggesting something like a hockey stick?

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 14:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

jaysmokesleaves,

1. What is a WD40?
WD40 is a spray that you can buy from hardware stores. Very useful in removing tar spots. It is supposed to have around 2000 uses. This must be use case no. 2001. In an emergency situation, this or any other spray can be used to distract the attackers.

Quote:
2. Any suggestions for arming oneself? Are you suggesting something like a hockey stick?

Regards, drive safe
It is not advisable to carry a weapon, even in the form of a hockey stick. I think the best bet would be something like a pepper spray.

Another useful defence weapon is the hijack function of most remote locking system - to trigger the car alarm.

Items like the following could also help - http://www.zicomretail.com/i-safe-pe...-products.html

Last edited by pjbiju : 25th November 2010 at 14:58.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 15:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

A fake Gun that could scare off these people ?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote