Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th May 2010, 16:33   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
1. In a spontaneous decision, I and the Scorpio guy next to me took our vehicles forward to obstruct his path.

2. The mob then does what is expected, break his windshield.

3. And boy, I haven't seen anybody being beaten so black and blue.

4. I feel that though the constable was stupid on his part to risk his life
5. the mob gave the guy what he deserved
Sad that such posts find daylight.

1. You and the scorpio guy had no business there. I'd have not bothered to come in between the law and an offender, no matter how helpful I can be. Trying to corner a vehicle can have catastrophic effects too. I'll just let the law take it's own course of action.

2. That is not what is expected. The mob shouldn't bother. It's again the work of police. Breaking a windsheild is wrong and two wrongs don't make one right.

3. That's sad that you had to witness someone getting beaten up. He's a person. No law in India adjucates a person is beaten. That's some barbaric concept which I couldn't agree with even in a country called singapore where caning is actually a law. But if you take pleasure in someone getting beaten up, I'm really sad for that.

4. The constable was just doing his duty. He may be ill equipped. But if he doesn't do that, then no one in that signal would respect him any further. There was a bigger incident in which a constable jumped on a bonnet of a car driven by an NRI and hung for his dear life, when the guy threatened to run him over. Case is still going on.

5. Who are we to decide what that guy deserved? All he did was break a couple of laws. Spoke on blue tooth and didn't stop when the cop ordered him to. He thought he can shake him off his tail (or beak in this case), but thanks to a couple of good samaritans who blocked his path, he has his windshield broken and the went with a bloody nose. And there's nothing to rejoice in this. Encouraging mob behavious is dangerous. When in a frenzy they can attack just about anyone. Shows how many people on road are frustrated and want to play god!

Above all, let him try to mow down a cop or do what he wants. It's the law makers prerogative to have the beat cops well equipped, to handle such scenarios by themselves. It is never the mob's responsibility to disburse justice.

And Prateek, if you still say that what happened is right, can you please come to Pune? I'll show you 1000s of pedestrians talking on mobiles and jaywalking. It get's on my nerves. Can you please bring the mob and break everyone's mobile as well?

Last edited by MX6 : 14th May 2010 at 16:36.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 16:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

mob violence of this kind is intolerable.
a blue tooth / hands free is still allowed as far as I know.

and even if there is a clear law against it, this is certainly not the way to enforce the law.
mobs usually are composed of ill mannered, loafer type jobless people who, being "have nots" themselves, take it upon themselves to "bring justice" to the so called "haves" - this is not justice - it is simply a manifestation of the discontent and spite that seems to infest our society especially in the lower orders.

And while I am a respecter of the law, what about the tenets of common civilized behaviour??

Are we to accept law enforcement in this un-civilized manner, from a mob, who are completely un-qualified for anything at all, leave alone law enforcement?

If one is in error of the law, then let things be done in a legal way, not by resorting to mob mentality!!

I do not applaud our fellow member (s) for aiding and abetting an incident of this kind. Rather I censure them for doing so!
And for gods sake, what about the presence of the poor lady there? the person's wife? have we no care for common civility?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th May 2010 at 16:41.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

Wow, I am shocked. Where is the civility. Beating up a guy on the road, and you are saying he deserved it. What if he had died? Perfect punishment for talking on the mobile and talking to run away?
The policeman should be fired from the job and arrested in an attempt to murder charge.
Ditto for this guy, for trying to run down the policeman, he should also be tried under the same charge.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:06   #19
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The policeman should be fired from the job and arrested in an attempt to murder charge.
Ditto for this guy, for trying to run down the policeman, he should also be tried under the same charge.
On a lighter note, both end up finally in the same prison cell and trade beedis and become friends talking of their life!
Old 14th May 2010, 17:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Traffic cops in Bangalore !!!....the less I speak about them ...the better ..
I have seen some idiots ,jump in front of bikers on a busy street .I have seen bikers being hit from behind in the process.
I have got into fights with cops who would be more interested in collecting fines without receipts than regulate traffic .Recently ,I had a big argument with this cop on the road who was busy talking on his cell phone when 2 motorists were into a fist fight on the road just in front of him.When i asked him as to what was he doing ...all he says is "I am tired.Why are you bothered ?Let them fight!!!"

ABout this incident ...its shocking !!Talking on a bluetooth device isnt an offence.And its dangerous to try and block some other car with your own like you and the Scorpio guy did .
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with the majority opinion. If we were a mob we would have beaten the OP black and blue
Request mods to change the title of the thread to something more apt.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:19   #22
BHPian

From when did speaking on handsfree become against the law? The constable shouldn't even have stopped the car in the first place.
mtnrajdeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:22   #23
BHPian

Thumbs down

Quote:
I feel that though the constable was stupid on his part to risk his life, the mob gave the guy what he deserved
I pity you for cheering "mob justice".

Agreed what the Wagon-R did was stupid. He did't even consider the cop's life was in danger when he did what he did.

That does't mean any Tom-Dick and Nutcase can beat this guy silly.
Considering the gravity of the situation no one can blame if the guy gets a slap or two.

Smashing the windscreen (remember he had an innocent passenger - his wife) and beating the day light out of him, Is that Justice ?

Sorry I don't think so.
As mentioned the cop and the guy should be booked.

Do remember the "mob" all of them walked scott-free without even a slap on the wrist. Justice eh ?
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:24   #24
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
I feel that though the constable was stupid on his part to risk his life, the mob gave the guy what he deserved
Dude, you need to get your head checked.
This is a case of mob mentality, the act was not even directed towards them. And what gave you the right to play cop? whether he was talking on his bluetooth or not does not give you the right to play super hero?!
howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Teaching the mob that its a right thing is a very dangerous path.

Though I would've been much happier if the same effect would've been police lathis but not the common man!

That said, the original offence is rather trivial. Talking on the bluetooth is as much or less distracting than talking to a co passenger.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wow there is a mob attack on prateek now, , Mods please lock this thread as all we are going too see is people throwing stones at him.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:37   #27
BHPian

While trying to run over someone, particularly a policeman, is not a simple traffic violation- I consider it a pretty serious crime- but anyhow, what gives anyone the right to beat up anyone else? There are laws for dealing with even murderers.

It is so important to know when to stop.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:38   #28
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Though I would've been much happier if the same effect would've been police lathis but not the common man!
Exactly. The police know the law here. They can't lathi charge an errant driver unless they've got clearance from up above and it's a dangerous scenario that's unfolding. So when the police follows the law and doesn't wield his lathi, the mob has no right what-so-ever.

Guess it's high time to lock this thread mods!
Old 14th May 2010, 17:52   #29
Team-BHP Support

Talking on a bluetooth not a crime..
Keeping your phone ON is.

Mumbai Traffic Police

Quote:
FAQ REGARDING USE OF MOBILE PHONE WHILE DRIVING

Q) Can I use mobile phone while driving?
As per rule 250 (A)(1) of Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, use of mobile phone is prohibited by driver while driving or riding a motor vehicle (including two wheelers).

Q) Can I keep my mobile phone switch on while driving?
If you are alone in the car, you shall switch off your mobile phone while driving any motor vehicle.(Section 250 (A)(2) of M.M.V.R.1989)

Q) Can I use hands-free or any other accessories of mobile phone while driving?
No. (As per rule mentioned above.)

Q) Can other occupants of the motor vehicle use mobile phone?
Yes. Other than driver, occupants of the motor vehicle can use mobile phone.

Q) After receiving call or sms on mobile phone, Can I park my vehicle and use mobile phone?
No. As per rule mentioned above, mobile phone should be in switched off mode while driving.

Q) What is fine or penalty for using mobile phone, while driving?
As per section 177 of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, using mobile phone while driving fine is Rs.100/-. But, if it causes further inconvenience or is hazardous to the road users, then the driver may be fined for negligence driving, for which fine is Rs.1000/- and compounding fee is Rs.500/-.

Q) Can I get refund on fine?
If a fine is recovered as a cash bail deposit and if you appear in the court, it may refunded or deposited as per court order. If cash is taken, as a compounding fee, then it is non-refundable as the case it self is disposed off on the spot. (Sec.200 of M.V.Act1988).

Q) If I don't have money to pay fine, what is the procedure?
As per Sec.206 (2) of M.V.Act, 1988,if you will not pay fine, your driving license may be impounded in lieu of temporary license permit, which is issued by the official handling the matter.

Q) If I am a doctor; can I use my mobile phone in an emergency while driving?
No. Exemption is not given to any one in the M.V.Act or Rules regarding this and all are same in front of law.

Last edited by bblost : 14th May 2010 at 17:53.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 17:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Who gave the authority to attack the wagonR guy ? . That is plain sick and blood boiling .Do you know whether that guy was in serious hurry or just plain acting . Whatever may be the case , crowds doing this is equates to DOGS . There are better ways to handling things than attacking the wagonR guy .ugly very ugly . If I was in your position i would have stopped ppl from attacking that guy .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote