Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th May 2010, 21:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Deserved or not, I don't think mob justice should be applauded. In most cases mob justice is totally misguided.
Totally with you Samurai, People cant control what they are doing in such situations and sometimes it can lead to severe damage or even death!

This mod justice happens in only 3rd world countries. I hate the so called mob justice system.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 22:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

i dont really support this. okay, the guy may have driven rashly but what right does the mob have to break his windshield & to beat him? what if he is badly hurt & hospitalized? who is going to be held responsible then? the mob will disappear as quickly as they came.

what is law & order for? the guy should have been fined or jailed but not this.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 22:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Having seen a lorry driver being beaten by a mob even when he was unconscious, its disgusting. Now who says we deserve better leaders (or politicians).
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 22:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

The general public ought to be held responsible for this.Most people wait for such instances to vent their anger and frustration on a person (who might have done wrong, or in some cases be totally innocent). Break things, cause damage and walk away. Thats how every single incident involving by-standers has to end!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 23:05   #50
BHPian

Mob justice in this case is uncalled for, this reminds me of an incident near Hosmat Hospital today morning. Two guys without helmet on a Honda Activa brushed a traffic cop from behind. The cop noted down the number, not sure if he was sucessful as the guys sped towards M.G.Road. The cop in the Wagon-R case could have done the same thing

Also its time to change our outdated MV Act/Rules.
Rajiv-Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 08:53   #51
BHPian

Welcome to 3rd world india, where people cheer criminal level crime (beating a person) to get even with a civil level crime (talking on mobile).
Utterly useless and 3rd class people!
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 09:08   #52
BHPian

Mob justice is unjustified in MOST cases, the operative word being MOST.

In this instance, it is unjustified though the stupid action of the guy in not stopping the car even when the policeman came on to it is really hard to defend. So people assumed that this is yet another rash driver that is a killer on the roads...

But unfortunately this being India where you pay a max fine of Rs.100 for something that can potentially kill or maim a dozen people, (talking on mobile is one of them, it is NOT a mere civil violation like spitting on street) it becomes the only way of serving 'justice' in the eyes of those that don't have the money to go to police/court.
Traxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 16:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Deserved or not, I don't think mob justice should be applauded. In most cases mob justice is totally misguided.
Agree with that , they had broken the wind shield and the bluetooth device .
i guess a couple of slaps was okay .
not beating him black & blue .
wind_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 16:10   #54
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_rider View Post
Agree with that , they had broken the wind shield and the bluetooth device .
No physical violence is justified. There's no difference between a couple of slaps and going all the way when it comes to civility. Even a couple of slaps means that people are losing/ or have lost complete confidence in the justice department. Now that's a very dangerous thing to crop up in a democracy, when everyone resorts to a couple of slaps or a bit more based on the level of crime instead of taking the legal route.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 16:40   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Who gave the authority to attack the wagonR guy ? . That is plain sick and blood boiling .Do you know whether that guy was in serious hurry or just plain acting .

If I was in your position i would have stopped ppl from attacking that guy .

Easy to say sitting in the safety of our homes but i wont recommend anyone to be the ideal citizen in such an instant,who'd try to stop the mob all on his/her own.

The mob will most probably give them same treatment that the driver who tried to mow down the cop received.

Cut some slack on Prateek. He must have realized that his initial thought wasnt right.
No point in every user repeating pretty much the same
athul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 19:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_rider View Post
Sorry, beg to differ here. The only people who're authorized by law, to beat people are the police & no one else can indulge in this act. If someone beats you for whatever reason, you can file an FIR against the person. Unwritten law in this country is one man hits another becomes a issue, many people beating one person becomes a reason & its only a silly reason.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 19:54   #57
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry, beg to differ here. The only people who're authorized by law, to beat people are the police & no one else can indulge in this act. If someone beats you for whatever reason, you can file an FIR against the person. Unwritten law in this country is one man hits another becomes a issue, many people beating one person becomes a reason & its only a silly reason.
Sorry Aargee. Even the cops don't have legal authority to beat people.

When it comes to beating a person, the mob is very proactive. They could have instead come together and planted trees along some road in Mumbai. No - the mob won't do such things. Their highest prerogative is to get together and dispense "justice".
Old 16th May 2010, 21:41   #58
BHPian

This is what I've understood from interacting with various people supposed to know the rules of the law. So if there is anything wrong, please point out with explanations - I'll stand corrected, if need be. Well, here you go:
The common mis-concept in our country, even with many educated folks, is that the police has the authority to punish. Police can only enforce the rule of the law. They CANNOT punish. Awarding punishment is Judiciary's job. Punishment ought to be in accordance with the rule of the law and it's interpretation by the learned Judges sometimes tinged with mercy - PERIOD. The only time police is entitled to use force (read lathi-charge, use of fire-arms or such) is that when they are "sure" that the situation is going to escalate and / or aggravate. Now, the "sure" component is what requires human intervention and unless there are evidences pointing otherwise Police's version of the incident holds good (or rather to be "believed"). This is why it's often hard to blame the police categorically when they say that the suspect was shot dead (use of weapon / physical power) when the police had to retaliate in order to protect themselves. The only person who would have testified against the police, ironically, is the one who was killed.
Else the police IS in trouble. A case in point is a a recent incident of the death of a murder-accused in Kerala Police's custody. One of the charges now against the police is that (pardon my ignorance of the legal terms) they had beat him in custody in order to make him confess (apart from homicide). Need I say more about Police's legal authority to beat people?
Iluvcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 22:07   #59
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
One of the charges now against the police is that (pardon my ignorance of the legal terms) they had beat him in custody in order to make him confess (apart from homicide).
Legally it's called "Getting a confession under Duress". Ideally, if the accused deposes in front of a magistrate and confesses, he can't be taken to the lock up for "co-ercive methods for confession under duress".

Police can resort to lathi charge/ tear gas only when the scenario looks dangerous and a mob threatens to disturb law and order very seriously.

Shoot at sight orders need to be given by the government. Else police can't do that.

A slew of movies showing barbaric stuff being passed off as a part of legal framework has completely fueled the imagination of general public!
Old 21st May 2010, 23:30   #60
BHPian

Was out of station so couldn't reply here. Well, there has been serious attack against me though I wasn't in the mob who broke his windshield. I just stopped him because I didn't want to allow him to go scot-free. My only intention was that the police could warn him on the spot so that he wouldn't break the rules again. I never thought this would take a wrong turn and the mob would damage his car. Another clarification, the guy was beaten up only by the constables and the mob didn't touch him. They just brought him out from the car.

Sincere apologies from my side if you thought what I had done was wrong
prateekm is online now   Reply With Quote