Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 6th September 2016, 14:38   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
There are many times when I am a pedestrian. The pedestrian crossing will turn green only after all the sides (assume a 4 side intersection) have turned green for the vehicles. us pedestrians get a few seconds, that too we have to dodge an over-smart bike or a car sneaking past.
I fully agree. I don't know about other cities in India, but Bangalore is atrociously unfriendly towards pedestrians - both in terms of infrastructure, as well as the attitude of others on the road.

My earlier comment about jaywalking was directed at bad pedestrians, not all pedestrians. Jaywalking endangers pedestrians even more, irrespective of the other problems they face. That's also why I emphasized that - as drivers - we need to encourage, safeguard and promote the good pedestrians.

I have done my fair share of walking on various roads in Bangalore, and the only good thing I have to say about the experience is that it is a good cross-fit exercise - keeping your balance on uneven pavements, hopping over missing paving stones, etc. And the signal timings for pedestrians is pathetic to begin with - I personally don't have a problem as I'm fit enough to cross reasonably quickly, but I dread thinking of having to take my parents or (shudder) grandparents along.

Last edited by arunphilip : 6th September 2016 at 14:40.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 14:56   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My earlier comment about jaywalking was directed at bad pedestrians, not all pedestrians.
Ofcourse, I understand. I ride and drive as well, and am appalled at how folks will simply cross the road without bothering to look for incoming traffic. More often than not, they have earphones in both their ears

p.s. I do jaywalk at times, though, with mass not being on my side (speed= mass x velocity), I try to ensure that there are no nail-biting finishes.
ajayclicks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 18:32   #78
BHPian

Well its that time of the year once again - Ganapati season. This gives people the licence to jaywalk, run and scamper all over the road or to stop their vehicle (be it a two wheeler or 4 wheeler) anywhere on the road to gawk at the roadside mandap decoration.

The cops are just unwilling / helpless to do anything to clear the roads and I guess we have to just endure it for 10 days when it all culminates into Pune shutting down for the immersion procession of bappa.
luvDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 01:01   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
am appalled at how folks will simply cross the road without bothering to look for incoming traffic. More often than not, they have earphones in both their ears....
I encounter these kind of morons very frequently - near bommanahalli - oxford engineering college. Can't really understand, what is so important that they have to listen always!I can't believe that they are so fond of music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
. And the signal timings for pedestrians is pathetic to begin with - I personally don't have a problem as I'm fit enough to cross reasonably quickly, but I dread thinking of having to take my parents or (shudder) grandparents along.
Yep. I agree mate! Crossing the roads is a herculean task for senior citizens. These new age Pedestrian flyovers/subways really doesn't work, as climbing stairs is pretty difficult for many of the senior citizen folks.

Even for youngsters , crossing the roads - especially where vehicular intensity is high, it is fraught with danger. In hosur road (from bommanhalli towards EC) I frequently see vehicles swerving dangerously to avoid running students crossing over! If while crossing the person slips or skids, it is sure recipe for some serious accident!

Last edited by haria : 7th September 2016 at 01:12.
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:34   #80
BHPian

Bad cyclist and bad vendor. This was on the road that connects Old Madras road to Indiranagar (opposite SV Road Metro station). The cyclist was riding on the wrong side of the road and had stopped to buy peanuts from the vendor. A little later, another pedestrian came over to buy peanuts as well.
All this while vehicles were zipping past them.

Bad Pedestrians - How do you spot them-img_1384.jpg
sanjaykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:24   #81
BHPian

Hi,

Silkboard is another nightmare, pedestrians do not even wait for the light to turn red, just dart across as a mob, when a small gap is seen between vehicles.

To be fair to pedestrians, there does not seem to be a green man light too.

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 19:44   #82
BHPian

Nice beautiful paved footpaths on both sides and yet people have to walk on the road which is already encroached upon by illegally parked cars.

Are they not aware of how much risk they are putting themselves in?
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 01:16   #83

To some extent, I donít blame the pedestrians because you can see bikers riding on the footpath just to overtake some 10 cars/bikes. Now, where does the pedestrian will walk if bikes are on the footpath?

With that said, traffic department needs to educate the pedestrians about the safety of walking on the footpath and heavily fine the bikers riding on the footpath. I believe there is already a law where the license can be canceled for this offense.
rvd8732 is offline   Reply With Quote