Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th May 2010, 08:51   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Please don't think I am finding fault or anything like that, but I fully second Sir Alec's observations. I am sorry this is generally the attitude from a lot of people, these days.
As a dutiful owner, I would tend to side with you and say that we need to carry out at least a visual inspection frequently to spot such problems appearing at an early stage. But the question is, isn't this one of the reasons we have migrated from the Premier Padminis to the present day cars?

I remember my uncles when they had a Premier Padmini, it was an elaborate process of checking the engine oil level, brake oil level, radiator water level, battery water level and topping up as and when necessary, then drive to a tyre shop and get the tyres pumped up, before starting on a long journey (read: Mumbai - Pune). This process was repeated each morning during the journey, mind you. In due course they upgraded to Hyundai and I bet they don't know where the windshield washer can is under the bonnet. Because they haven't had to open the bonnet at all to check all these things. If they still had to, I doubt if they would go for the Hyundai.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 10:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hey, "older" person here!

Thad,

I owe you an appology! Please accept!

Rust proofing is a major issue even in dry climates such as in the ME. No all manufacturers do rust proofing and sealing as standrad and offer that as an option with a 7 year warranty (I know Mitsubishi offers this as standard in all their cars). If you are paying it cost about AED 700 (INR 8,500).

It really works as I have seen that in unprotected cars rusting starts in about 4 years time, specially on cars parked overnight in the open. Dew and dust mixes and settles in the gaps and hard to get to nooks and the rusting starts from there - this is more faster if such nooks have any rivets, welds etc.

So having spend in Lakhs on the car it may well worth to spend a little more to have it rust proofed.

Just my two bits

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 12:38   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always done all those checks before setting out on a long journey. Trouble is that now I only do short journeys, and it gets forgotten. It shouldn't, and this is a big reminder to me.

In UK, it is quite usual to get ten-year corrosion warranty. I still forget (after my mere five years here) that things can be very different in India.

Yes... I will look into the rust proofing options. Seems to be necessary... and next time, even if it is a Nissan or a Ford or a VW, I will do the same at start of ownership.

Lessons learnt!

EDIT: No apologies needed, really... I joke about my age: I'm not that old, but, at 58, probably on of the older members.I doubt very much that I am the eldest!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th May 2010 at 12:42.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 15:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

Nice to hear that, but do let us know what is their take on the cause of this? It can help lot of us, esp Swifto owners have a watchful eye
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 22:01   #95
BHPian

Hey, wait a minute! Saw this thread a bit late, but I have had a similar experience and have a theory too.

I am in Mangalore since September 2007, but was in Chennai for 5 years prior to that. My first purchase was a Bajaj Caliber 115 bike in 2003, and then went on to add a Wagon R Vxi in 2005.

Always a bit too lazy to do things myself, I had entrusted the apartment's watchman with the task of washing my vehicles regularly, for a monthly pay (most watchmen of apartments make some extra bucks that way). Now listen carefully: Just in a couple of years, some part of my bike started rusting. And did they rust fast! The painted portions were relatively safe, but parts like the saree guard (the chrome plated guard on the left side of pillion to protect the clothes from the wheel) completely eroded away in a matter of months after it started. I had them replaced. The rusting continued in different parts at different times.

When my bike started rusting, my Wagon R was brand new and was not affected. In two years, the car had two or three small bubbles on the paint in a couple of places. The body had started rusting inside the paint! Or maybe the rust was starting from the inside surface! But the boils didn't grow and I left it at that.

Then I came to Mangalore in Sep 2007. In Jan 2008, my car was involved in an accident and had to be taken to the Maruti body shop for some major body repair. It was there I discovered that a lot of body parts were rusted from inside. To demonstrate the extent of rust, the mechanic ground off one of the bubbles in the paint and it exposed rust. He ground off the rust and it left a big hole on the body!

The mechanic asked me where I used to live before, and whether I lived next to the sea. Well Chennai is a coastal city, but Ashok Nagar isn't anywhere near the sea, right. And Mangalore is no stranger to the sea either. He told me that he hadn't seen rust like this on such new cars before. He said to me: "If you would take my advice, drive it for another year and then sell it off, sir." Though he gave me that advice, he did a good job of removing the rust and repainting my car.

I had brought my bike from Chennai too. About two years back I disovered that the petrol tank had holes in it. A mechanic sealed it with M Seal. Now, a couple of months back I discovered more holes. I don't know if I should buy more M Seal or do something else.

Now to my theory. I haven't validated it with anyone, but I am very sure the reason for all this corrosion: the water. The water from the borewell of my Chennai apartment.

My apartment building didn't have metro water, and was entirely dependet on borewell water. Ground water quality in Chennai is very unpredictable and varies from plot to plot. My watchman loved to wash my vehicles and made liberal use of the borewell water, though its supply to the flats were regulated through timings.

When the car is washed, lot of water goes inside the bonnet and other places from where it is not wiped off. And if the water is particularly corrosive in nature, it gets ample time and opportunity to eat into the vulnerable parts hidden from external view.

Thad, it has to be the water you've been using to wash the car. Combined with the lack of inspection from your part. Just my theory.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 00:35   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

pjay_in, thanks for that. I did listen (and read) carefully!

Our water is Panchyat water, not metro water, and the quality is very variable indeed. Occasionally, we even get salt in it.

Now I hear everyone saying, "Well, of course; if you wash your car in salt water what can you expect?" Except... I have to swallow my shame and admit how rarely I wash my car at all! There are probably months when I do no more than get the dust off and clean the glass before going out. It gets washed more often by the security staff at a family member's place the other end of the city from here (they do it from loyalty to their employer, only, which is nice).

The other point that strikes me is your description of rust under the paint. If the metal surface is sealed and painted properly, this should not be possible.

I'm not denying your theory... just tossing it around here!

Another symptom, which I don't think I mentioned before, and which could be very relevant, is that all the chromed logo and model bits (chromed plastic, isn't it?) have discoloured --- and we have a devil of a job keeping our chromed taps in the bathroom clean.

I've even wondered if it is something in the air... this is a polluted part of town, with a lot of small industry, and god-knows-what flowing down the Buckingham Canal which is only one street away.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 01:29   #97
Senior - BHPian

I had posted this is a couple of other related threads - the best water to clean your vehicles if you are living in Chennai is the water condensed from your home ACs. Ground / Corporation / Panchayat water is still a risk - you never know what goes in it!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 02:02   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a very good idea.

I had been thinking, on another thread, of making use of that water instead of just letting it go to the drain.

Even if it is just for the final rinse, it should be an improvement.
Old 28th May 2010, 06:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:

The other point that strikes me is your description of rust under the paint. If the metal surface is sealed and painted properly, this should not be possible.

I'm not denying your theory... just tossing it around here!
Yes it was weird, but I think water can get to the other side of the metal, say through the gap between the window glass and the door panel.

Quote:
I've even wondered if it is something in the air...
Yes, that's a possibility too. But I still think the water there was pretty bad. As you said, I had problem with the chrome pipe fittings too (I never could keep them shining; they became dull and spotted). And the plastic buckets got dirty too and we had to scrape them clean every now and then.

Last edited by pjay_in : 28th May 2010 at 06:07.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 11:08   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Thad - Regarding your search for the diagrams, heres what i pulled out of the Workshop repair manual I'm attaching a screen shot as the manual is 25 MB. The link for downloading the entire manual is below :

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
Sorry for the OT, is there any chance with the link of workshop manual parts-catalog for the good old zen. Our zen too met with an front collision about 3 years back, showing signs of rusting so asking! Thanks!
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 20:41   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

... A manual for the diesel Swift would be just superb too

But, is it wise to post this copyright stuff? I only ask --- I'll certainly be downloading it if anyone does!
Old 28th May 2010, 22:42   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
Sorry for the OT, is there any chance with the link of workshop manual parts-catalog for the good old zen. Our zen too met with an front collision about 3 years back, showing signs of rusting so asking! Thanks!
Will try my best to dig up something on the old Zen !

Quote:
... A manual for the diesel Swift would be just superb too

But, is it wise to post this copyright stuff? I only ask --- I'll certainly be downloading it if anyone does!
Thad sir, am on it, will try to get it ASAP ! Btw. any response from Maruti on the issue ?
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 23:09   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks... and yes, they are replacing the rusted part and I will have my car back in ten days, but no explanation or anything. I somewhat doubt that I'll get one.

My next car is going to be coated with everything available as often as possible!

Perhaps I'll get a bulk stock of WD40 and spray it into all the corners
Old 5th June 2010, 21:18   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

The car is whole again... collected it this afternoon.

The accident-damage cost came to rs.12,745 Of the three main parts replaced, front wing, front bumper and headlight, I was surprised to see that the headlight was the single most expensive. While they were at it, they painted out some scratches, but, although it makes the car look better from a distance, it is very rough work (I could have done better) and something to do for the future. Good to have bare metal covered, though, in case of more rust!

I am never going to MSS on a Saturday again! It was something of a chaos, and, what with one thing or another, it took us one and half hours to collect the car. There was various toings and froings with the different aspects, body work and service, some misunderstanding about which docket in the car book should be stamped as completed, and they had not done the additionally-requested air filter exchange.

In fact, as they were telling how much time and money this would take, and as I mimed the, "what? you take out four screws, remove the old filter and put the new, and then screw the top back on?" that the guy realised that he'd understood air filter as fuel filter. My wife pointed out that translating onions and tomatoes from English to Tamil was one thing, car parts was quite another

After we had left, my wife found that the passenger door panel was loose. Our guy came out, looked at it, took us back into the workshop and a guy replaced the screw. The plastic is broken: we'd had enough for one day and will take this up next week. After we left the second time, my wife's bag was found to be missing! We'd moved from place to place in reception so many times....

Eventually, we got on our way.

The size of the workshop is astounding, as is the difficulty of manoeuvring the many vehicles present on the site. I was glad to sit back and be a passenger, but quite interested by impromptu in-car workshop tour.

We were not very happy with the quality of the cleaning (although its true to saythat it was filthy, in and out, to begin with). Rather like our maid, they didn't bother with corners, etc. Last time we put this on feedback a couple of years ago they sent a mobile cleaning unit to our house, who made the whole car shine! We'll see what happens this time.
Old 5th June 2010, 21:36   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is whole again... collected it this afternoon.

I am never going to MSS on a Saturday again! It was something of a chaos, and, what with one thing or another, it took us one and half hours to collect the car.

The size of the workshop is astounding, as is the difficulty of manoeuvring the many vehicles present on the site. I was glad to sit back and be a passenger, but quite interested by impromptu in-car workshop tour.
Glad to know you are back on your wheels!

I always schedule my service for the mid week and take a day off for it! That is the only time the rush will be less. I will be there sharp at 9.00 AM when they open, watch over the service and take the car back, in about 3 hours.

BTW who was your service adviser?

Last edited by Gansan : 5th June 2010 at 21:39.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote