Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 1st June 2010, 10:36   #31
BHPian

Good to know that it was only the car that was damaged and that all of you emerged more or less unscathed.

I think it is always a wiser choice to avoid driving at night on highways, either in India, or elsewhere. Multiple things come into the consideration:
- Reduced visibility
- Drunk Drivers (exponentially more in number than during the day)
- Increased chances of driver fatigue
- Increased problems if you have a breakdown or accident

I know a lot of people who prefer to drive only at night, saying they can make better time, but I firmly believe that they are not sufficiently conscious about the risks they face, whilst doing this.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 11:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

For the sake of avoiding repetition, posting the link to the thread where pros and cons of day/night driving are discussed.

See this post and this post in particular.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 12:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

I am glad that all of you escaped only with minor scratches.

To drive at night or not to drive is a never ending debate. So all I would say, whether its day or its night, guys we all have to be alert to be safe.

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 14:05   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I am glad that all of you escaped only with minor scratches.

To drive at night or not to drive is a never ending debate. So all I would say, whether its day or its night, guys we all have to be alert to be safe.

Regards
I definitely agree with you...
torque4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:17   #35
BHPian

Scary incident, good to know all are safe, definitely a situation which can scare the hell out of anyone, a broken car on a highway with ladies in pitch darkness.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I think it is always a wiser choice to avoid driving at night on highways, either in India, or elsewhere. Multiple things come into the consideration:
- Reduced visibility
- Drunk Drivers (exponentially more in number than during the day)
- Increased chances of driver fatigue
- Increased problems if you have a breakdown or accident
Bang on!

Travelling alone or with male friends in night is ok however that still does not rule out any of the above points and with female passengers on board, one should never proceed unless its absolutely unavoidable.

In life there are so many unpredictable things happening around us all the time, they wouldn't stop just because one is driving in the night!
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 16:22   #37
BHPian

@torque4u - Thank your lucky stars and the guardian angels for helping you guys that night. I am sure that you went through a lot of hair raising instances when you realised that you are going to bang in to the lorry. The mental trauma associated with a accident goes a long and its hard to heal. So be aware of that and provide the right support to your wife and sis.

Drive safe buddy.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 21:04   #38
BHPian

Hey man that was a scary accident. It's definitely a head ache when ladies are there stranded in the middle of Indian highway in midnight.
Good to know there are still a few good men.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:07   #39
BHPian

Good to know that you and your family are same torque4u.

Night driving always risky, think that as a bad fate just forget it and be courageous to drive again.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Bang on!
In life there are so many unpredictable things happening around us all the time, they wouldn't stop just because one is driving in the night!
There are so many unpredictable things in life happening around us anyway, why add to it by driving in the night, where the odds are even more against you?

@Original Poster
Which version of Verna were you driving, seatbelts worn? airbags? If yes, this incident reiterates the importance of seat belts and other safety devices in the cars.
Thank your gods, visit your religious places, make the best out of the life that you have been gifted with.

Shouldnt this thread be referenced in the accidents in India thread also.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:42   #41
BHPian

torque4u:

I am glad that you all are safe. As for the car you know that it can be done so no worries. A good amount of discussion on night driving have taken place, I guess we have no choice but to be careful which I am sure you would be from now on. If we look back now, we can think of thousands of things that we could have done to avert it, but we just hope..

I am not sure if this is the right time to tell you, but try to look at better lights for the car. It is because of these bunch of idiots without reflectors who cause a havoc.

Above all, thanks to your "angels". Drive and drive safe!

tejas
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
There are so many unpredictable things in life happening around us anyway, why add to it by driving in the night, where the odds are even more against you?

@Original Poster
Which version of Verna were you driving, seatbelts worn? airbags? If yes, this incident reiterates the importance of seat belts and other safety devices in the cars.
Thank your gods, visit your religious places, make the best out of the life that you have been gifted with.

Shouldnt this thread be referenced in the accidents in India thread also.
Verna VGT 1.5, and the seat belts were on, it’s always on whether its city or highway.

I would say it had to happen so it happened as I was very careful coz of the ladies. We just need to be very very careful now. Thanks to god and the life savers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
torque4u:

I am glad that you all are safe. As for the car you know that it can be done so no worries. A good amount of discussion on night driving have taken place, I guess we have no choice but to be careful which I am sure you would be from now on. If we look back now, we can think of thousands of things that we could have done to avert it, but we just hope..

I am not sure if this is the right time to tell you, but try to look at better lights for the car. It is because of these bunch of idiots without reflectors who cause a havoc.

Above all, thanks to your "angels". Drive and drive safe!

tejas
Thanks Tejas, Once the car is fixed I will first change the lights.
torque4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 00:49   #43
BHPian

No one but the Almighty was looking out for you and your family that night. Give thanks to him and not to any star or luck or anything else. I'm so glad that you'll are safe. If you cannot see at least half a mile ahead of you, you've poor headlamps.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 16:11   #44
BHPian

Torque and other guys traveling via Andhra Pradesh,

Remember if any such thing happens in AP. Just dial 108. (These days these guys are operating in KA too).

I have seen their call center. Its a police, fire and medical emergency integrated system. you can call for any help and not just medical help. They will in turn inform the concerned police or the highway patrol. Their response time is pretty quick even in some remote parts of the state.

I can understand your horror in the middle of no where. Glad that you escaped unhurt.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote