Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 31st May 2010, 22:37   #1
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Default Shocking

Read this in the TOI. Was shocked.

Woman left to die as car after car runs over her - Delhi - City - The Times of India

Where is the world going?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

You got to be kidding here. I somehow missed reading this in the paper today (though I have moved to BLR now, still read the e-TOI everyday of Delhi Times)

But you know the sad thing in this case is that, the last person who stops and reports to the police gets treated as though he is the criminal and they could probably take them in for questioning and to file a report. So, thats the reason why no one stopped. But, I do admit this is pityful and shameless.

Also, reminds of something similar I came across recently on a drive from BLR to Yercaud. Just as we started the journey in the morning at around 4, we hit the highway (hosur road) and not too far we suddenly saw a body in the middle of the road as two cars tried to dodge it, and then I was right behind. Thankfully even I avoided it.

He was lying there bang in the centre of the road with heavy trucks going on either side. However, there didnt seem to be any blood, ad seemed most likely the guy was drunk. Not sure how it ended, but on a dark road with so many vehicles passing, I would not be surprised if he got run over atleast a 100 times over.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
“We suspect that she was knocked down on the Rajouri Garden flyover by a car during peak traffic. It appears that several vehicles ran over her after that. We found the body on the flyover that is going from Rajouri Garden to Mayapuri,” said a senior police officer.

Its so disgustingly shocking!

What was she doing on foot on the flyover ?
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But you know the sad thing in this case is that, the last person who stops and reports to the police gets treated as though he is the criminal and they could probably take them in for questioning and to file a report. So, thats the reason why no one stopped. But, I do admit this is pityful and shameless.
This might be the exact reason, why no one stopped!

This is horrible and shameful indeed!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 23:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I agree, Not only in this case but at most times. I have helped accident victims several times, Every time i called up Police or took the victim hospital everyone treated me as if i was responsible for the accident.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 00:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

That was as horrible as it can get, i saw the news clip on some channel, Shocking it was.In a similar incident in Gurgaon in 2007 my friends Bil passed away,he slipped from his bike and on coming traffic ran over him, rather than stopping to help him.
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 07:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shocking indeed.

Shifting the victim away from the road could have been done by any set of volunteers, and the lack of this action was shocking.

On our persons, all of us must carry important information, like the nearest relatives and friend's mobile numbers, our blood group, address and so on, so that, god forbid, if anyone becomes a victim in this fashion, it will help a lot. This information could be written down on an orange coloured laminated card by all of us (for uniformity), and carried in an easily accessible place. Whoever wants to help can call this number first, instead of the police. When the close friend / relative arrives, legal matters will get resolved easily. Whether or not there is a response to the call to the friend / relative, the ambulance number should be dialled rightaway.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 07:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is horrible. But I have seen the opposite most of the times so I kind of have some faith. It is the attitude of the authorities that are making people not help victims. Looks like the officials want to close every case fast.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 08:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

My opinion could raise brows for many people that I'm not shocked; because the worst is yet to come. Unless the cane is picked up things will go as loose as possible until finally everything will fall apart oneday. No matter how much economic progress we make, things like this will certainly pull us down. Its like put one step forward & two steps backward; I'm embarassed to be part of this.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 08:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is it because of the below law that police treats the bystander as the criminal? Law do not recognize the innocent bystander willing to help in a hit-and-run case? Whoever reports of the incident to the police becomes the offender as they need to register the offender's details for FIR?

Quote:
Duty of driver in case of accident and injury to a person - When any person is injured or any property of a third party is damaged, as a result of an accident in which a motor vehicle is involved the driver of the vehicle or other person in charge of the vehicles –
  1. Unless it is not practicable to do so on account of mob fury or any other reason beyond his control, take all reasonable steps to secure medical attention for the injured person ( by conveying him to the nearest medical practitioner or hospital, and it is shall be the duty of every registered medical practitioner or the doctor on the duty in the hospital immediately to attend the injured person and render medical aid or treatment without waiting for any procedural formalities), unless the injured person or his guardian, in case he is a minor, desires otherwise;
  2. Give on demand by a police officer any information required by him, or , if no police officer is present, report the circumstance of the occurrence, including the circumstances, if any, for not taking reasonable steps to secure medical attention as required under clause (a) at the nearest police station as soon as possible, and in any case within twenty-four hours of the occurrence;
  3. Give the following information in writing to the insurer, who has issued the certificates of insurance, about the occurrence of the accident, namely :-
    1. Insurance policy number and period of its validity;
    2. Date, time and place of accident;
    3. Particulars of the persons injured or killed in the accident;
    4. Name of the driver and the particulars of his driving licence.
Source - Chandigarh traffic police, promoting road safety, traffic safety, India road signs & rules, safe responsible driving, first aid India.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 08:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Is it because of the below law that police treats the bystander as the criminal?
No Raj; I'm sure almost everyone in Delhi knows about the verdict on helping an accident victim (people even in remote TN knows about it, then how come Delhi misses it). I would attribute this to negligence, lack of humanity, busy with own work & high irresponsibility. Its a shame on all of us that such incidents happen at country's capital. If this were China or Singapore, either the news wouldn't be floated or a harsh punishment carried out without any noise.

Last edited by aargee : 1st June 2010 at 08:16.
Old 1st June 2010, 08:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
My opinion could raise brows for many people that I'm not shocked; because the worst is yet to come.
I am not shocked either. I have said many times earlier too. we just don't care. when we don't care about our own lives (seat belt, helmet), why should anyone expect us to care about others. haven't we seen trucks killing people by driving on wrong side of road. Has anything happened to stop it yet?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 08:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
when we don't care about our own lives (seat belt, helmet), why should anyone expect us to care about others.
That is very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
haven't we seen trucks killing people by driving on wrong side of road. Has anything happened to stop it yet?
Absolutely nothing; I'm very much worried about the forth coming years as if one will ever be able to drive on the road as its getting worse everyday.
Old 1st June 2010, 09:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

I think many of us would be open to help in such situation, provided we are not in our cars. If we stop our car and try to help out, we will be suspect #1. The police and even the victim will hold us responsible for the accident. We have Team-BHP members who helped out a victim and were eventually asked to cough up money by the victim's party.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 13:00   #15
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Forget helping a victim. I swerve out in order not to run over a dead animal, even if it's a dog on the highway. And here as per news we have drivers gloriously running over a dead female literally smashing her to pulp.
There's no respect in life. There's no respect beyond it either.
Had someone put 2 huge stones near the cadaver, every moron would have swerved, to save his car from being hit and damaged.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote