Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 19:59   #1
BHPian

Crazy short long distance Trips

Hi Guys,

I searched through the forum and did not find a similar topic, hence posting it here.

On Tuesday 8th June, Due to a family urgency i had to drop my wife and kid at madurai and return the next day itself to be back at office.

I checked the tickets in train and found that Tatkal ticket was available in Anantapuri Express, so i booked in Anantapuri express from Chengalpet to Madurai and the return ticket was booked in Vaigai express for 9th from Madurai to Chengalpet.

Train Timings and Distance.

Departure Time Arrival Time Distance

Anantapuri Exp: 8 pm from CGL 4 Am at Madurai 441 kms
(8th June)

Vaigai Exp : 6: Am at Madurai 1:30 Pm at Chengalpet 441 kms
(9th June)

I just wanted to share that i have made such a crazy trip and wanted to know whether anyone has done similar trips, i know most of you would have done it in cars, and would love to hear those experiences.

The total cost for this trip was 573+123=696 Rs to cover almost 1000 kms, economical, ain't it? . For the return journey i had the company of an Autocar magazine and novel named Make us Traitors, both proved to be a good company.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Two of my cousins were getting married, one in Delhi and one in Dehradun on two consecutive days friday night and saturday night. I am really close to them but I had some urgent work at office was preventing me from going and both of them were really really mad at me for skipping their marriage. I was really upset too and kept thinking about it all the time. On thursday night, the entire family was in Delhi enjoying the cocktail party and I was sulking in Bangalore. I called them at 11pm to speak to my cousin and she was so angry that she didnt even talk to me properly.

Something just broke. I discussed this with my wife, who had also decided to stay back with me as she knew I was really upset not being able to go. We discussed and discussed till 12 am and made a decision, we were going to go.

12:15 am Friday 2 round trip tickets were booked to delhi - cost 26K. 4 am the cab was at our house, 7 am were in the flight , 11 am we were at my cousins place. The joy in the eyes of my cousin and everyone else was really priceless. Then, attended the marriage on Friday night till 4am Saturday.

6am saturday morning we took my FIL's Altis and driver and rushed off to Doon. Reached there at 3pm thanks to the traffic. Rested and went to the other cousins marriage in the evening, everyone was again shocked to see us .

Marriage over at 3am. Went home and slept, 2pm on Sunday left in the car and reached Delhi at 10pm, thanks to a zillion jams on the way.

Monday morning caught the flight back to Bangalore, and by afternoon I was in the meeting that i had gotten postponed (thanks to the emergency out of office note i had dropped to the client just before i left requesting a change in meeting time).

Total cost - about 40k, Look on my cousins faces - Priceless.

Last edited by sammyboy : 10th June 2010 at 21:08.
Old 11th June 2010, 00:22   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I've done countless such trips. But the recent notable one was drive to udupi and back from pune to attend my friend's beother's wedding. 36 hours of driving for a 2 hour programme! My friend's father was very happy to see me there!
Old 11th June 2010, 09:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have done several such trips, let me try recollecting...
1. Jun 2006 - First Chennai to Bangalore trip by car & decision made in 30 minutes
2. Oct 2007 - Solo trip to Trivandrum by car, a decision made in 15 minutes that changed my entire driving style. Expensive trip, but learning are for life time.
3. Dec 2009 - Chennai - Kochi - Chennai by car, again a decision made in 30 minutes; very memorable trip as it was just me & my 2.5 years old Son. Expensive trip, again the learnings are for life time.
4. May 2010 - Chennai - Erode - Chennai round trip of 820 Kms on a single day by car
5. Jun 2010 - Chennai - Trivandrum (TVM) - Chennai by train; left Chennai on Friday by Trivandrum Mail, reached TVM on Saturday; took the same train (same coach different seat) on Saturday noon & reached Chennai on Sunday morning. Slightly Economical than car as we travelled by 2nd AC.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Crazy trips, I have done many to share!

1. Chennai - Chidambaram - Chennai by car (1 Day). Planned with my friends on a lazy Saturday evening while we were sitting bored to death at the besant nagar beach. The best trip ever in my life, we were all by ourselves when we were still getting pocket money from our parents, with absolutely nil driving experience on highway & the quick stories we made at home to make a getaway for this trip. A very nice one!
2. Chennai - Namakkal - Chennai by car (Less than a day). Personal emergency!
3. Bangalore - Cochin - Bangalore by car (1-2 Days). Personal emergency.
4. This is the most crazy one
Coimbatore - Salem - Coimbatore - Chengannur - Coimbatore - Chennai by Bus/Train (1-2 Days)!
This was during my college days when I used to drop my GF (now my wife) in Kerala and then come back to Chennai! Good old days, really!
Old 11th June 2010, 13:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have made one such trip:-
Leg 1 - Home to Bangalore Airport by Car
Leg 2 - Bangalore to Trivandrum by flight
Leg 3 - Trivandrum Airport to friends wedding and then to Trivandrum Railway station in an Auto
Leg 4 - Train to Chengannur to meet with some friends who are there for another wedding
Leg 5 - Chengannur to Thekkady by Bus

All this in one day.
Total Distance: Around 900 Km
Total Time: 18 Hours (From home to thekkady including some 5 hours spent at trivandrum)
Modes of Transport: 5
I was thinking of a way to incorporate a boat ride as well, but couldn't.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

^ Similar trip by me:

Leg1: Parent's home in Sooranad to my house at Tvm in my car (80 Kms)
Leg2: House to Tvm airport in my house owner's car (5 Kms)
Leg3: Tvm Airport to Blr Airport by flight (800 Kms)
Leg4: Blr airport to Hotel by Taxi (40 Kms?)
Leg5: Hotel to Friend's place by Auto (had only less than 2 hours sleep) (10 Kms)
Leg6: Friend's place to Blr Airport by Taxi (55 Kms?)
Leg7: Blr - Lhr by flight (no sleep)
Leg8: Lhr - Ncl by flight (no sleep)
Leg9: Ncl airport to hotel by taxi... phew! Then I slept for about 12 hours.

All within 24 hours! (Excluding the 12 hour sleep)

Last edited by clevermax : 11th June 2010 at 14:38.
Old 11th June 2010, 16:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
2. Oct 2007 - Solo trip to Trivandrum by car, a decision made in 15 minutes that changed my entire driving style. Expensive trip, but learning are for life time.
3. Dec 2009 - Chennai - Kochi - Chennai by car, again a decision made in 30 minutes; very memorable trip as it was just me & my 2.5 years old Son. Expensive trip, again the learnings are for life time.
Traveling Solo and along with my family is definitely a different experience...sharing those experience will also help us to learn few important things that need/needn't to be done
Old 11th June 2010, 16:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
sharing those experience will also help us to learn few important things that need/needn't to be done
Oh!!! Those topics are discussed to death all over TBHP; at that point in time, I wasn't a member, so I'd to learn things a hard way.

Will talk over those when we meet sometimes during the meets.
Old 12th June 2010, 20:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Finished one short long distance trip that is started yesterday night

Leg1: 11-Jun 2000 Hrs Tvm to Sooranad, through MC road via kottarakkara (2 hours)
Leg2: 12-Jun 0445 Hrs Sooranad to Cochin NH47 (2.5 hours)
Leg3: 12-Jun 0800 Hrs Cochin to Thrissur NH 47 (3 Hours)
Leg4: 12-Jun 1430 Hrs Thrissur to Cochin NH47 (2.5 Hours)

The fatigue multiplier while driving through NH47 is 3 so I feel like I drove 3 times of what is actually covered.It was raining heavily almost throughout the day so the drive was somewhat boring.

Leg5 : Cochin - Sooranad
Leg6: Sooranad - Tvm

are planned tomorrow and day after

Average mileage as per car's mileage display: 19.5 Kmpl (50% AC)

Last edited by clevermax : 12th June 2010 at 20:41.

Most Viewed