Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 27th April 2011, 22:47   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Close call with power windows

Now that the car companies have become so safety conscious about the power windows they should include this feature of either manually rolling down windows in case of emergencies(like mumbai flood) or enabling the power window to operate even when the key is not inserted
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 23:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Now that the car companies have become so safety conscious about the power windows they should include this feature of either manually rolling down windows in case of emergencies(like mumbai flood) or enabling the power window to operate even when the key is not inserted
Ultimately, power windows are electronics; so once the power is cut off for whatever reason : accident, battery damage or say ECU short-circuit due to water, there would be no power to the motor operating it, right.

Probably, they could introduce a manual lever that will over-ride the electronic mechanism. Else, break open the window!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 16:00   #48
BHPian

Clevermax mentioned that a fuse blew off when he tried to obstruct the window from rolling up. So it is possible to get stuck with your <put anything here> sticking out of the window and disfunctional windows. Getting scary.
anupamsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 23:33   #49
BHPian

Thanks for the wake up call, even dogs will be in danger with the habit of peeping out of the window when we travel. I will have to take extra precaution while travelling with the dog so that it does not get choked by accidental resting on the power switch.
ukderebail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 12:37   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I was testing the 'power' of power windows last evening with my friend. We had 2 cars, my Zen with after market RD power windows and friend's Eon with factory fitted power windows. The idea to test came when my friend pointed the risk of kids or pets being 'strangled' due to the upmodule that I have in my car. Although, its a big convenience to have rolled up your windows automatically everytime you lock your car with the remote, but poses its own risk.

I tried putting my fore arm in the Zen's window track. My hand was pushed up with quite some strength before the glass got locked up my hand against the upper part of the door. It was quite strong and it did hurt.

Same experiment I tried on the Eon and it was even stronger. It almost broke my forearm. I still have a sore hand. That can easily break a kid's neck or worse, strangle them easily. Exercise caution while operating them and please do not try the experiment above. It hurts!
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 13:04   #51
BHPian

I still cannot forget when we were driving from Chennai to Tirupati - I was driving and my Father was at co-driver's seat. He opened his side window to let some fresh air in. Then came a rough patch and I (my usual habit) simply pulled the power window buttons up to avoid the dust coming in. Worst -his had rested his fingers on the glass, instead of the grab handles - his left hand's middle and ring finger were injured even by the time he screamed and I stopped immediately! Thank God his fingers did not fracture, however it took them a week to heal properly. I never use power windows so blindly then-on. I really felt sorry to have hurt my Dad.
Though we really did not understand why he had hold such a typical place instead of the grab handle available above the door, still I accept that was my mistake. And, hats off to Skoda and the likes to have introduced Pinch Protection Power Windows.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 13:59   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
And, hats off to Skoda and the likes to have introduced Pinch Protection Power Windows.
Good news. I did not know about it. So it stops when feels some resistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
I really felt sorry to have hurt my Dad.
I can understand it. Don't feel too bad about it.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Good news. I did not know about it. So it stops when feels some resistance?

Yes, As soon as some resistance is felt, the window glass stops moving up, and it is rolled down again. I would suggest not to test this with hand/fingers. Guys at Skoda Showroom demoed this with some hard object.

By the way, when I tested the "power" of the power windows of my Zen Estilo LXi, I was surprised to see it almost cracked a 6mm wooden scale!
Zinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 14:24   #54

We bought our Skoda Laura L&K in 2006. it was absolutely loaded with features. i think it was the first vehicle in India, am not counting the BMWs & Mercedes etc, to have the child safe windows and even the Sunroof was child safe. this was such a great feature and we miss it in our Fortuner. its strange that after so many years this has not become a standard feature keeping safety in mind.
Ricxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 13:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Thanks for the support and feedback, guys. I really needed it

After the incident, I tried putting a soft toy inbetween, and raised the same power window. Believe me, it squeezed the toy to half its size and stalled. No blown fuse though !
Great relief to know that your daughter is safe. Me too faced the same instance with my daughter whilst we were returning after visiting our relatives with the usual byes and kisses from my daughter she leaned her head out and suddenly the window (rear) started inching up, my daughter started coughing and screaming -sensing something wrong I pressed the window ctrl switch.
I drive a Swift and usually keep the window scroll option locked for other windows. From that day on I ensure no one is having rolled down windows without me knowing or tell them to keep me informed in such instances.

Better late than never.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 14:44   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

When I bought my Ritz ZDi earlier this year, i was planning to instal a power window relay - which automatically rolls up all the windows when the doors are locked.

Thanks to Mahesh (ku69rd) who advised me against this.

I rarely roll down the windows but this could be a highly dangerous (dis)comfort feature if things went wrong.

Some cars have a sensor which stop the window from rolling up if it detects an obstruction, like someone's hand and if this can be installed in the car, it can prevent any mishaps.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 15:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
.. my daughter .. leaned her head out and suddenly the window (rear) started inching up, my daughter started coughing and screaming -
When she leaned to say bye, did she press on the power window switch, causing the glass to roll up ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 16:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

This is a dangerous situation. Thank GOD your daughter is safe! There is an even more dangerous situation; while she's put her head out, her head could have hit some object such as pillar, plants or anything protruding from the wall. Take Care!
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 17:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
When she leaned to say bye, did she press on the power window switch, causing the glass to roll up ?
Yes sorry to not mention it.

Usually I keep the windows locked at the driver ctrl panel all times (except when specifically requested). That was a real miss (nothing untoward happened) and am happy for it. lesson learned- all byes and goodies exchanged before leaving or starting the car or inform and once i wind it down keep it locked for some time.

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 5th September 2013 at 17:27. Reason: addition
Dieseldunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 23:14   #60
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. After reading your post, I am making sure that everytime I start my car, I use the 60 sec of diesel engine idling to check that Power Windows are locked, child lock is in place (though my kid is too young to open the door, but no one knows when he tries to open the door for first time). After ensuring this, I switch on music and select my playlist.
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote