Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th June 2010, 11:33   #1
BHPian

Default Why no medical facilities on Highways?

Mods: if thread exists merge or delete.

After the incident, which I had reported in the following thread "Accidents in India"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1935093-post6084.html

I was wondering why there is no much hospitals in the highways.
Also I was wondering why there is no medical stores in the highways.

I feel it should be made mandatory that all the petrol bunks or the Hotels in the highway to have a medical store in their premises.

What you people feel?
Mr.Bangalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 11:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

For a start, they have started building roads, I guess the other facilities will follow.

But on a serious note, I guess this is to do with the inhumane and callous Indian attitude to life. And the problems the ordinary man faces dealing with the cops and hospitals in emergency medical situations.

For example, maybe someone should also ask why in Pune-Bombay expressway, they started by having ambulances at the toll gates, have been withdrawn now?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
I feel it should be made mandatory that all the petrol bunks or the Hotels in the highway to have a medical store in their premises.
This is a valid point. I too feel that they should have such facilities. When they can have food joints, cafe bar and others, why not this in a Pump. Right?

Good thought. But I also think as HVK mentioned, its just time. Probably someone is working on this business proposal already. Lets see.

And I feel that the 108 service is doing a good job atleast on these southern part of India.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 12:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

And I feel that the 108 service is doing a good job atleast on these southern part of India.
That is good news - does 108 cover many of the highways?
In West India, when they started the Pune-Bombay expressway, they parked a couple of smart ambulances at each of the toll gates (although they were 80 kms apart!). Nowadays, even that is not there - what does it indicate? There is no regulatory mandate on highway operators to provide basic health & safety facilities, and the public has no or limited confidence in the healthcare systems available on the highways, or the ability/ will of the government/ private sector that they are too tired to even demand that they be set up.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is good news - does 108 cover many of the highways?
In West India, when they started the Pune-Bombay expressway, they parked a couple of smart ambulances at each of the toll gates (although they were 80 kms apart!). Nowadays, even that is not there - what does it indicate? There is no regulatory mandate on highway operators to provide basic health & safety facilities, and the public has no or limited confidence in the healthcare systems available on the highways, or the ability/ will of the government/ private sector that they are too tired to even demand that they be set up.
Yes HVK. You can see them regularly patrolling on the highways. Also, they are parked in toll booths as you mentioned. And their response time is also very good.

Hope this is spreads across other parts of India too.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 12:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

What kind of facilities should these centres have?
Our highways pass through so many big and small villages and they have primary health centres everywhere. What is required is to see if they are what they should be. It will not just help the people in vehicles but everyone else.

On the other hand, its good to have hospitals on highways or big roads inside or outside cities/towns/villages.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 12:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

@MrBangalore, this is definitely a thought in the right direction.

At least first aid centres, pharmacies and ambulance facilities could be introduced on the highways near the numerous villages that dot our highways every 10 to 20 kms. I do not see any of these on NH48 at least, which I take quite often for driving down the Bangalore Mangalore stretch.
mooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 12:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Yes HVK. You can see them regularly patrolling on the highways. Also, they are parked in toll booths as you mentioned. And their response time is also very good.

Hope this is spreads across other parts of India too.
That is good news. However, their web-site is short of detail where the ambulances are patrolling or placed.

In Bombay city, the 1298 ambulance service is being harassed by some local political interests and sometime ago, they threatened to stop their services and shift out of the city, but I think some "settlement" was arrived at. AS far as highways in Maharashtra are concerned, there is always God.
Old 14th June 2010, 12:57   #9
BHPian

i don't understand, the rate at which the hotels, petrol bunk, shops comes up... the hospitals and medical stores are not considered. you can only find hospitals and medical stores in towns and villages i doubt you can get a emergency first aid.
Mr.Bangalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 13:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

The quality of medical aid available in villages and even district towns is poor. I recollect an instance where I had a bad experience. We had a mobike accident in 1989 near Madanapalli, and had to administer first aid to my friend whose heel almost got fully severed, at a village near Madanapalli. The stitches were done so badly that after returning to Bangalore, my friend's wound developed infection and he had to undergo several rounds of plastic surgery over the next 6 months, mostly attributable to the shabby fashion in which the local doctor had made the stitches.
Old 12th September 2013, 16:09   #11
BHPian

Default Medical Care on Highways

This is a long post regarding an incident and unpreparedness of the emergency infrastructure on our highways .

Recently on my travel back from Hyderabad to Bangalore, this is a trip that I usually undertake in the evenings or early mornings. Due to severe cold and cough decided to have a late start 11 AM from Hyderabad around 265 kms before Bangalore I blanked out for maybe a minute while driving due to a condition I came to know later as "Cough Syncoma" thankfully nothing happened even though at the high speed that I was.
Immediately we called relatives in Bangalore to understand the next steps since I had a hypertension issue I was directed to get my BP readings at the earliest and if there was some other discomfort get an ECG done .Since I was perfect barring the blackout incident we first decided to get a BP reading and then go for an ECG if something was amiss. We first called the number on the toll receipt got from the earlier toll to ask for the ambulance and if there is any medical centre nearby on being told it was not an accident the operator didn't seem bothered much and directed us to the next toll before Gooty .Here again at the toll plaza nothing exists for medical emergencies and their ambulance was stationed half way between this and the next toll booth, and was directed to get into Gooty town to see a RMP.Since I was feeling better I thought of proceeding to Bangalore to get it checked ,just before Gooty we saw the parked ambulance by the road side and decided to approach them. One enquiring was told the technicians were not around and had left for the day and only 1 driver was available. On enquiring if there are issues what will they do and isn’t it supposed to be 24*7 he had no answers .I then proceeded to do the same excersice on the next 3 ambulances that I spotted besides the highway all had the same excuse as the technician was away etc .Considering the "Golden Hour" post an accident if this is the situation what is the point in having these newly bought vehicles with no technicians or a proper response mechanism in place to ensure these equipment’s are used to do what they are meant to do “Save Lives”.

I am not sure if this was due to an off day(Ganesh Visarjan) or something however my takeaways from this incident are

1) Toll both plazas etc are nice looking structures with folks there not having any details of nearest hospital, numbers etc .Three toll booths and main buildings that I enquired in didn’t have this information. Two manned by NHAI the third one by a private operator

2) Ambulances are there for name sake, maybe untrained technicians are handling accident victim’s

3) Response Times are poor and not enough to save lives in case of an accident

4) The highways have improved in terms of build quality but other issues of people jumping on roads safety etc still remain

5) If corridors like Bangalore ->Hyderabad which am assuming are among the better ones are in this shape .What is the solution

6) We tend to drive with seemingly innocuous issues like cold cough etc, however isn’t this sometimes lethal as say “Drunk Driving”. I know it is practically impossible to stop driving when having cold etc, however I would like to bring to members attention to try and avoid if possible driving when having any physical ailment especially if having a taxi or hiring drivers whilst going out of town since one of the reasons is a combination of fatigue and flue like symptoms that cause these blackouts and considering the high speeds that are on the highways better to be Safe at the start.

7) Have a good first aid box in the car and if possible some doctors numbers on the route at a 100~150km interval
masin4 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote