Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

View Poll Results: Road accidents - Do u factor this in?
I never worry about that. 11 28.95%
It puts me off (discount once in a year kind) 4 10.53%
It worries me a lot, but my passion keeps winning 22 57.89%
Others 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th June 2010, 11:11   #16
BHPian

An accident is well after all an accident. Something that happened without intent.

Quote:
"...an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance..."
I've had two major incident with my motorbike, one left with me minor injuries the other left me with scar mentally of hitting someone crossing the road.

Immediately after each of the separate incidents I would be shaken up for a few days, but eventually the passion to ride would overcome the fear. But each one of these scars in my brain has left me more careful than last time.

Fate is not in your hands, but riding/driving safely is. Best try and exercise as much safety as possible, rest factors are more or less out of your control and no point in living in shell just for things that are not in your control.

PS: I hope I din't go too OT here.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 11:24   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant point of views by most, especially liked the comments by Thad-E-Ginathom and MX6.
When I witness any accident scene, it shakes me up. Having broken a bone in one mishap involving my bike, has taught me a lot. The mental pain and harrasment that the insurance company and RTO put me through could easily shame the physical pain of having a plastered hand for 6 weeks. Started driving defensively after that, especially when using the bike.
Although a lot of people would blame fate/bad-luck, I still believe that you can significantly reduce your 'bad-luck' by driving defensively.

Last edited by SDP : 17th June 2010 at 11:25.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 23:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
An accident is well after all an accident. Something that happened without intent.
Unless something falls out of the sky on top of you (Hmmm... trees do!) then it is not an accident. It is someone's responsibility; it has a series of things done or not done, that led up to it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 09:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Unless something falls out of the sky on top of you (Hmmm... trees do!) then it is not an accident. It is someone's responsibility; it has a series of things done or not done, that led up to it.
If someone had intentions of causing a situation that leads to an mishap then definitely it cannot be termed as an accident. If someone's stupid/aggressive actions lead to a mishap but it was not an intentional act then I think it should be called an accident.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote